Mud Flaps??

ALF

SURE!?
My buddy just took his F-250 (mid 90's) into speedy on redwood for the annual inspection. He is running a 4" susp. and 33's. Everything passed but the guy failed him for no mud flaps :mad: . The guy said a new law was passed in November saying all lifted trucks have to have mudflaps. Is this true or was the guy just looking for something to fail him on? Does anyone know the requirements for mud flaps or what determines when you need them?

drylok

I got pulled over a got a warning for no mud flaps. The cop told me they has to cover 50 % of the tire. Basically full tire width and down to the axle tube.

Nixter

on the road again...
I think it's been into effect longer than November. Back when the lift law was changed, if memory serves me right. Just make a 'quick-disco' to take off when wheel'n and your set. ;)

ALF

SURE!?
Nixter said:
I think it's been into effect longer than November. Back when the lift law was changed, if memory serves me right. Just make a 'quick-disco' to take off when wheel'n and your set. ;)

They never said anything to me when I had my 97 GMC inspected in oct. I'm lifted with no mudflaps! :confused:

James K

NO, I'm always like this
alf4444 said:
So am I at risk of getting pulled over if I don't have them? :ugh:

only in west valley city :ugh:

and gm products are by design lower then all others. so they probably think your truck just lokks normal with a lift compared to a dodge or ford :p :rofl:

Nixter said:

Yup, the mudflap deal was a minor concession to help the UHP take a neutral position on the law. They could have killed it a number of times in committee for various reasons. The improved law has been in effect since April 15, 2001.

Any altered vehicle has to have mudflaps. Full width of the tire, down to the axle tube (middle of tire) (best to go lower to avoid "discussing" it with officer friendly)

Like the Nix and others said, do disco's and you're set.

ALF

SURE!?
Maverick said:
Yup, the mudflap deal was a minor concession to help the UHP take a neutral position on the law. They could have killed it a number of times in committee for various reasons. The improved law has been in effect since April 15, 2001.

Any altered vehicle has to have mudflaps. Full width of the tire, down to the axle tube (middle of tire) (best to go lower to avoid "discussing" it with officer friendly)

Like the Nix and others said, do disco's and you're set.

Anyone got some pics of some of those Disco's

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
i have gone without mudflaps for 2 years, until a month or two ago in WVC i got pulled over and issued a fix-it ticket....

i went to ACE Hardware and grabbed some 'L' brackets, found 4 caribiners(sp?), and cut some mudflaps to fit...(1 semi mud flap can be cut down into two for a great fit, and only $10 a pop).... so my flaps are/were quick disconnect... i have no idea where they are.. i think someone ganked em, or the got ripped off :rofl:

check out some pics of suv's on here.... his are very well done quick disconnect stylee with pins i think...

Elder SAMI said:
i have gone without mudflaps for 2 years, until a month or two ago in WVC i got pulled over and issued a fix-it ticket....

i went to ACE Hardware and grabbed some 'L' brackets, found 4 caribiners(sp?), and cut some mudflaps to fit...(1 semi mud flap can be cut down into two for a great fit, and only $10 a pop).... so my flaps are/were quick disconnect... i have no idea where they are.. i think someone ganked em, or the got ripped off :rofl:

check out some pics of suv's on here.... his are very well done quick disconnect stylee with pins i think...

I did the caribiner thang too...and they both got ripped off...by rocks (my own damn fault)

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Maverick said:
I did the caribiner thang too...and they both got ripped off...by rocks (my own damn fault)

see, to fit the caribiners i used your average key rings.... and that's what ripped off... they worked great though... it's just hard to remember they're back there...

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
got two fix it tickets for em, I just slap on my quick on off mud flaps get it signed off and pull em off again :D

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
onetuff76 said:
got two fix it tickets for em, I just slap on my quick on off mud flaps get it signed off and pull em off again :D

Anybody know where to get decent disco flaps? Mepco's ones suck and I won't buy from there anymore anyhoo. Guess it's time to put some on, 6 mudflap tickets in the past year and I couldn't get out of this last one. :(

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I just made my own. I screwed the mudflap to a piece of 1" 25ga metal track we use for framing and drilled a hole in the track. I conveniently have a bolt just behind my wheel well that works great for this.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
I got pulled over for no mud flaps by the same cop, TWICE IN TWO WEEKS. :mad2:

I had 33 and flares on my CJ then, now with 37s and no flares I need some and fast. Ditto on the where to find some disco kind.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
Have Addifan post some pics of the ones I made for his grand right before I sold it to him.

BTW - What the heck does Addifan stand for anyway?