Mudslide in Cedar Hills

bretto

Willytime
It is very unfortunate that this is all happening to these folks but I was just looking at some pics of the inside of the dwelling and they have a lot of good stuff in them still. Why aren't they stripping these houses out? Makes no sense to just let all the cabinets, windows, furnace, etc. just get plowed over with mud and rocks. :ugh:
Brett

Jeeptj98

bretto said:
It is very unfortunate that this is all happening to these folks but I was just looking at some pics of the inside of the dwelling and they have a lot of good stuff in them still. Why aren't they stripping these houses out? Makes no sense to just let all the cabinets, windows, furnace, etc. just get plowed over with mud and rocks. :ugh:
Brett

From what I understand they are not going to let anyone back into the homes. And the reason why none of that stuff was taken out before is because they had thought that they would be able to go back.

Col Mustard

What bonehead in the planning commision approved the construction in the first place? I saw this happening while working out there last year. I was thinking more of the boulders rushing down the mountain crashing into the homes but that just happened yesterday in Provo Canyon. It's sad to see people lose their homes. It's the builders on up that I question. In South Jordan, there was an attempt recently to have certain land along the banks of the Jordan river removed from the SEMA flood area. The reason? So they could build houses there. The land is currently so wet that the golf course can't even grow trees there. And once it is removed from the list and it gets flooded, no help from SEMA will be available. Anything for a dollar.
Sorry for the rant. It just hit a nerve with me. :mad2:

Last edited:

DrMoab

Col Mustard said:
What bonehead in the planning commision approved the construction in the first place? I saw this happening while working out there last year. I was thinking more of the boulders rushing down the mountain crashing into the homes but that just happened yesterday in Provo Canyon. It's sad to see people lose their homes. It's the builders on up that I question. In South Jordan, there was an attempt recently to have certain land along the banks of the Jordan river removed from the SEMA flood area. The reason? So they could build houses there. The land is currently so wet that the golf course can't even grow trees there. And once it is removed from the list and it gets flooded, no help from SEMA will be available. Anything for a dollar.
Sorry for the rant. It just hit a nerve with me. :mad2:
I think this everytime I look up on the mountain...When the big quake hits and they all come sliding down....Can't say I will feel too sorry for them...Just like the people who build in a flood plain.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
I laughed at the people in Riverdale that built those new homes near the weber river. Some of the houses you can tell the area had been flooded several times before building .... so why build there!?! Oh know, because no one told them no. :rolleyes:

DrMoab

Webby said:
I laughed at the people in Riverdale that built those new homes near the weber river. Some of the houses you can tell the area had been flooded several times before building .... so why build there!?! Oh know, because no one told them no. :rolleyes:
You live in Odgen. Im sure you have seen that house under the U in Uinta...at the mouth of the canyon. Talk to any Geologist and they will tell you....We have to major things going against us in Utah. One. we live on a lake bed. Two we live in a MAJOR earthquake area. Lake beds have a tendancy to liquify when there is a major earthquake and well...There are lots of houses that are built on pretty steep hillsides.

I thought it was funny what one of those guys in Box Elder Co. said.
"We don't have flood insurance because even though we live on a flood plain, we figured that it would only be a hundred year storm that would cause a problem and we thought that storm was in 1983"

How stupid can you be??? :mad2:

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
I've never noticed the house, but I shake my head every time I see a new one built on the hill side.

I remember the houses sliding off the cliff side at the mouth of Ogden canyon onto EL Monte golf course. Now it looks like they are going to build some more houses there.

Remember the movie The World According to Garp. He looking at a house and a plane hits it ... so he buys it! His logic is what are the odds of that happening again. I look at it a little different ... if the odds are it happened once, it could again.

Col Mustard

"We don't have flood insurance because even though we live on a flood plain, we figured that it would only be a hundred year storm that would cause a problem and we thought that storm was in 1983"

LOL! we dun got till (counting with toes) 2083 to thu next flud so letts bild. So the weather can be predicted now? Come on people, we live in what was once one of the largest lakes in the world. Where do you think the water is going to go? :rofl:

WayneXJ

grocery getter driver
I install cabinets in those condo's in Cedar Hills.....er I did until the mud-slide happened. I wasn't surprised at all when I heard about it. :rolleyes: