My Backcountry Family Hauler Build

KWight

A year and a half ago I sold my old 4 wheeling rig, a mildly built Toyota T100 truck with a small 2" lift, solid rear locker and 33" tires. I no longer had the time to keep up with replacing the ball joints as I was caring for my wife and children during her battle with Leukemia.

I told myself that I would replace it with another rig someday. In the meantime I started to collect parts for my 1982 Toyota Mini Truck that I had purchased years earlier for $250.

Following my wife's battle with cancer coming to an end, my thoughts turned again to a capable backcountry vehicle for the children and I. My 11 year old son loves the Jeep Wranglers and would point them out to me wherever we went. I found a 1999 Wrangler for a good price and was set to purchase it, then the owner backed out the night before I was to go get it.

So with that, my thoughts turned to other SUVs. I considered the Jeep Cherokees as they are easy to modify and I had built one in the past. With 5 children and my son a ways away from driving yet, I had to get the clan into one vehicle. With that in mind I started looking at Toyota Landcruisers. The FJ80 series were all selling for a premium and the FJ100 series were a few thousand $$ more. I went back and forth on which to go with, knowing that I would have to put money into a FJ80 to get the mechanical condition up to spec. I spent months browsing the internet for my next vehicle. The day before a planned weekend trip to Idaho, I found a dark green 1996 FZJ80 series Landcruiser in Salt Lake with 155,000 miles for $3900. I took my truck with me and checked it out. When I climbed into the drivers seat and saw the magic dial for the electronic lockers on the dash, I knew it had to be mine. After taking it for a drive to check things out and some negotiating, I shook hands and exchanged cash with the owner and went off to Uhaul in search of a car trailer. A few days later I was headed back to Colorado with the FZJ80 in tow.

Once home, I began spending more time on the Land Cruiser sites, planning out my next modifications. In the meantime, I replaced the brake booster, flushed the radiator, replaced some sensors, the battery and a cracked windshield. The previous owner paid to have the front axle seals and bearings replaced as part of our deal. This is a picture in my back yard before the lift:

I ordered Old Man Emu heavy springs for the front and mediums for the rear along with the other parts that come with that kit. Once the parts started coming in, I tore into things. Fortunately for me, this vehicle spent a lot of time in Texas before being sent to Utah. I was able to get all the bolts off without cursing, skinning my knuckles or breaking any bolts. Once I was all done, I took some measurements and was able to fit some 35" tires on it. Here I am, parked nose to nose with a co worker's stock FJ80:

I went back to the off-road shop before getting the alignment done so I could check out my articulation and make sure the tires did not rub. I reasoned that I could always throw some spring spacers on if I rubbed the fender wells. It turns out that I did not need to add spacers as the tires tucked into the fender wells quite nicely. Here are some pictures, not quite at full stuff:

The tire was 1/2" from rubbing on a bolt in this picture:

Front Passenger side:

As it sits, I am still waiting for a nice day to remove the side steps and weld up some mounting plates to my rock sliders. I am waiting on another supplier to make a batch of transmission/transfer case skid plates so I can protect the underside. I will also get rid of the tail light guards and the front brush guard (damage multiplier) to make room for a rear swing out bumper and front bumper with brush guard. I have nearly doubled my investment in this, but am confident it will last for many years of back country exploring.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I read through your post on ExPo. I'm sorry to hear about your wife and hope that you and the kids are doing well. This looks like a fun build that you can all go out and play with together.

KWight

Thanks guys, this is a great platform and I have never had a vehicle with factory installed lockers so I look forward to driving it in the mountains near our home. It ends up the Wrangler I missed out on was a blessing in disguise. I had reasoned that my son could drive my truck on our adventures and I could drive the Wrangler. A few weeks after missing out on the Wrangler, I met a nice widow lady from Pocatello who has two daughters. We are getting married over the Memorial Day weekend. They joined my clan on a backcountry day trip over Spring Break and enjoyed it so we look forward to more great adventures together. I am jonesing for the snow to melt off the passes in Colorado. Come on Summertime!

I need to give thanks to Kurt and Bryce at Cruiser Outfitters and Greg for his past build threads and talking me through my planned modifications for this. The guidance they gave me is invaluable and I really need to copy some of what they told me into this thread.

Also, I have not posted up on here on a regular basis about my wife's battle with Leukemia. I did in the beginning but neglected to keep up on it as it was a rough battle in spite of the many miracles we witnessed. Some day I may post up our last family adventure that we had together as we took her minivan to Nauvoo then traced the Pioneer trail back to the Salt Lake Valley. Reading that may bring a tear to some of your eyes. As we come up on the Mother's Day weekend my advice to you is: Hug your wives and cherish each moment you have, as you never know how short life truly is.

Last edited:

Bart

So sorry to hear about the struggles your family went through. Best wishes and luck with the new adventures headed your way. Always liked the looks of those FJZ80s. Almost pulled the trigger on those a couple of times.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
Sorry to hear of your wife. Looking forward to seeing your build continue. I have always liked the FJ80's as well. They make a pretty good overall vehicle, daily driver/weekend wheeler yet still a nice level of comfort.

Mike.

KWight

Well, I guess it is time for an update:

This past Monday my new wife informed me that she was leaving due to not feeling able to parent my kids who have special needs. With that I took the rest of the week off in an attempt to salvage what was left of the summer vacation for my kids. We headed to Silverton with a plan to run the passes there for a few days before heading over to Lake City and North to the Gunnison area.

After two days of enjoying the scenic trails in the Alpine triangle we headed back to camp. I left my older children at camp while I took my youngest daughter to look for an acquaintance who was camped up the road. I was backing up on the road when my rear passenger tire slipped on the edge of the road. I hit the brakes to stop, but it was too late the momentum carried me over. I was fortunate enough to roll back on my wheels again and was able to get back on the road unassisted. Fortunately my daughter and I were both wearing our seatbelts and there were no injuries.

Before:

After:

So, at this point I am considering my next option of pushing the roof back out and putting an internal cage in. The LandCruiser still runs good and drives straight. As you can see in the pictures there is minimal damage on the sides so getting it back on the road might be a viable option. This is not my daily driver as I have a mall crawler (mini van) and a tow rig to get around.

Has anyone done something like this before and what feedback do you have for me?

Also, as for the new wife, she has had some regret since leaving and emailed me over the weekend asking if I would consider getting together again 10 years from now when our kids are in college. I will likely still have my two special needs (Autism) kids at that time and she offered to help with them at that time. I sent her a nice email letting her know I would rather move on and have someone with me who is willing to stick through the thick and thin of whatever life throws my way than put my life on hold then pick up the pieces 10 years from now. At this point I am more upset about the LandCruiser than her.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Man, when it rains it pours. Sorry to hear about all your troubles, but it sounds like you've got an awesome attitude about everything.

I especially liked your response to your second wife.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
bryson will probably chime in on this

Yeah, that guy chimes in on everything...:rolleyes:

Kevin, I'll see if I can find some pics of mine before repairs and post them up here if that's OK.

*EDIT to add pics*

This is what mine looked like before I picked it up:
96FZJ80 (3).jpg
96FZJ80 (4).jpg
96FZJ80 (5).jpg

No pics during the repair, but now it just looks like a 2-tone gray Land Cruiser with no sunroof.:handlebars:

Last edited:

KWight

This past Saturday I stripped out the interior to get a better look at the damage and start pushing things back out.

Driver's side A post:

Kink and ripples along front of roof, sunroof controls removed for easier access:

I beat out a large dent on the driver's rear quarter panel with my hands and pushed out some of the dent in the driver's door panel. Once I have more time, I plan on using a floor jack and some 2x4's to start pushing out the roof.

Then there is plan B:

This one does not have the factory lockers but I can swap over stuff from my old rig. Locking axles, suspension, bigger tires. Once done, i can turn over the current rig to my 16 year old son for a father/son project to fix up and drive around. The downside would be the higher purchase price of the Lexus, baselining all the maintenance items and the time to swap everything over. Either way, I would have a rig by springtime that is capable of the trails we enjoy running.

KWight

Time for an update:
I got the roof jacked out enough to get another windshield in and had the windshield guy confirm it would work. In the meantime, another donor caught my eye at a mechanic shop here in town. The owner had added snake oil to it hoping to mask a head gasket problem and the bandaid did not work. So, with a bad engine, he decided to part with it. I was able to pick this up for $200 this past week and will be having my engine swapped into it:

It is a 1994 with 203,000 miles. It has the heavy duty transmission which I do not feel I need to have, but given that it will take more work to swap my newer transmission and the entire drivetrain into the older model, the older transmission and transfer case will remain in place. The good news is that this will get me another rig up and running faster and I will then be able to swap over my locking axles, lifted suspension and larger tires over the spring and winter months. Once I have mine up to snuff, I will part out what I do not use.