my crazy idea....

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
so, this won't fit on an XJ, and I don't want a camper on my truck so I need to get rid of it. $50 anybody? It has no glass and a section under the longer window on the P side need to be fixed. It sits and rides fine on a long bed truck though! If you don't want to fix the fiberglass, you can still use it as-is!

You should probably PM Milner, based on this post from before:
Milner said:
Nope, You should just sell it to me!!!! I have been watching for one for years!!

Deweyxj

Invisible, on purpose!
WOW! :D I've never seen one of these before! :eek: That could be grafted to a number of vehicles, as long as the dementions are good!:-\

Is there a support system for the overhang or, does it rely on the cantileaver effect for support?:confused:

Otherwise, there would be a lot of leverage on the side structure of the recipient vehicle!

Either way I would make it work!:D

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
taco-bell-beef.jpg

while it is too big for the roof of an xj (and will be for most vehicles) i don't see why one wouldn't just build a steel tube frame for it and have it hang over the windshield a bit, since the hatch would hit it if you tried to hang it over the back. it will need some structure anyways, as will the vehicle that you just cut a gigantic hole in the roof of. especially if it's a cherocar

pELYgroso

'Merica
the tent dimensions closed are 56" x90". I thought about the idea of just letting it hang over the front of the cherokee but it is also too wide. There are a couple of places down in the shell where a big spring hangs down and is attached, so it's wouldn't just lay flat on a roof top. To remedy this I was just going to build an internal cage in an XJ and make attachment points for the front and rear springs on the cage. Another problem with using it on an XJ (besides the size) is that the hinges are attached to the shell where the XJ door tops are. Only 2 of the hinges would be able to attach to the XJ top without being in the way.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
that does certainly complicate things to have it be too wide as well. i don't see the need for this thing anyways but my xj is more for wheeling than camping and it would just get bashed to pieces anyways. that is a cool little shell though, i saw something similar on a honda element in moab last weekend.

pELYgroso

'Merica
ps, another part of my plan was to only cut about a 2'X3' hole in the roof of the XJ to climb through over the rear cargo area. This would give a lot more space over the rest of the XJ roof for storage.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
90 reaches from the rear of my shell to just behind the front window, where I expected it. 56 is way too wide, though, it hangs out several inches either side of the truck. Too bad. I'm gonna pass, Tyler, thanks anyway.