My Dumb$** truck won't start.

81Ramchargerman

My Dumb truck won't start.

I can start it if I manually choke it (by hand) and then it runs for a couple of secs, backfires through the carb and dies... Can keep it running if at high rpm's but I don't feel comfortable doing this because it is a cold blooded 318... and I just don't want to risk damaging anything. What does this sound like to you guys? Clogged fuel filter? Wires, plugs, all of the above?

Last edited:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
If it was a small block Chev, I'd pull the valve covers and check for a flat cam...... Dunno on your Chrysler....

Wouldn't hurt to try the normal troubleshooting things a with verifying fuel pressure (pump) and then make sure it's getting into the throat of the carb. Sounds like your spark is good, but wouldn't hurt to check that either.

81Ramchargerman

I am sure it has spark already checked... I was more wondering what the reason for it backfiring out the carb was... If someone put something in my tank and I found out who it was they will not be happy...

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
81Ramchargerman said:
I can start it if I manually choke it (by hand)....

Keep the mind out of the gutter ... keeping the mind out of the gutter :rolleyes:

81Ramchargerman said:
.....and then it runs for a couple of secs, backfires through the carb and dies... Can keep it running if at high rpm's but I don't feel comfortable doing this because it is a cold blooded 318... and I just don't want to risk damaging anything. What does this sound like to you guys? Clogged fuel filter? Wires, plugs, all of the above?

Anyway, have you checked for vacuum leaks? Also when is the last time you had a tune-up? The timing could out, but the problem with that is you have to get it started and warmed up to get the timing right.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Ot

Tacoma said:
I wonder what an unfettered Webby is capable of....

As I am happily married, I must refrain from any further musings on this subject. :ugh: :eek:

{whisper} Psst Tacoma ... Married doesn't mean dead! ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
:eek:

certainly true! but I'd best keep the musings very very quiet. :rofl:

Who is the ranking authority for cutie pies anyway? I see you have official sanction. -_- Maybe you BUY your titles? HMMMMM??? WELL???

Johnny4X4

Yeah

it's like the menu thing, of coarse you are gonna look and think about that desert, but that steak in front of you is gonna sit in your gut and not leave any room for anything else, and if you tried to put one more thing in there, your gonna get sick and throw up and then have no food in your stomach. so you just smile at the desert cart and wave it on by.

ha ha ha. :rofl:

my wife is a Fillet mignon-- how about yours?

81Ramchargerman

Hickey said:
Rebuild your carb.

Ding Ding Ding!!!! I got home and the stupid thing fired up like nothing, the next day, the same. I went to a local key shop to check how much it would cost to get a key made and on my way back it dies in the intersection. So After 15 min someone tows me. It would start and run god for a sec and then it would flood out. I have a holley for it and I'm takin it down to rebuild it this weekend. Does anyone think that putting the holley in is a bad idea? The holley is what it came with stock, but when they put in the engine that is in it now, it came from a 74 dodge 3/4 ton, it had that carter on it. Wow Hickey, you is so smart...Seriously. :D Thanks Everyone for you ideas.

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
I HATED my Holley. It was a 600 double pumper. That dang thing could never get adjusted correctly!

:mad2:

Q jet is the best for a carb in my opinion.

81Ramchargerman

I'm not sure what exactly it is... but in anycase my dad is seriously a wizard when it comes to anything and he pretty much started out in carbs so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. All I know is that no one carries parts for the stupid thing because most Ramchargers came with the carter and from what the guy at autozone says, that holley is really rare...

Thanks for the opinion peirced

Last edited: