My First Dual Sport

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Well, not just Dual Sport, but it's my first bike ever. :eek:

So I picked it up for $1500. It's a 2003 drz400e. It was not running when I bought it, so I couldn't ride it or anything. Pretty much sight unseen. The PO wanted $2300 for it but because it didn't run and he didn't know why, I got it for that price.
So I took it home and found that the main fuse was blown, which I'm guessing the PO did while installing the BD streel legal kit, which looks brand new. Also I found that the kill switch for the BD kit is bad. It's stuck closed no matter if you push the botton or not. The ignition box wants an open signal to produce spark. I also found the coil and cap to read way high in resistance. So I replaced those two parts and unhooked the kill switch and gave it a tow to start it, as it didn't want to start by just hitting the go button. After about 15 feet of towing it fired up. It's been running great ever since.
Today I took it on two rides, because one just wasn't good enough. I am a beginner so it went pretty slow at first. Just the back roads around my neighborhood at 7am. I had all the roads to myself. I still can't get the smile off my face.
I just got back from my second ride up around Magna and the base of the mountain. Still mostly on back roads. I managed to find some dirt to play in for a minute in the field behind my neighborhood. I'm feeling more and more confident all the time. I've only hit about 3/4 throttle and can't belive the power it has. And just to think, there is even more! My confidence left me for a minute when I slid in the dirt turning around. I thought I was going down, but pulled out of it. I have to remind my self to stay humble and not get cocky.
There are still a few things that need addressing on the bike, but for now it seems to be good to go. I'll do several more trips around my house, then it's off to find some dirt roads to play on.
So if you're in the West Valley area and don't mind teaching me a few tricks, I'd love all the help I can get. I'll be signing up for a Ridercourse in the next week or so as an added help.

drz400e 001.jpg drz400e 002.jpg

drz400e 003.jpg drz400e 004.jpg

On a side note, here are some teaser shots of my current project. Quick story on it: Guy picked it up as payment from a divorse case he worked on. PO had it sitting for 6 years and now it's been sitting for 4 years with the new owner. I flat out love these cars! Normally my rule is it has to be 4x4 to get me to work on it, but I had to make an acception for this one.
I changed all the fluids, installed a new ign. switch, rebuilt the brakes system. Get this, who ever built this car reduced the 1/4in. brake port in the MC to 3/16in. by soldering the smaller line to the larger line! Why not just use a reducer fitting? Not only that, but it teed into the front sectin of the MC instead of going straight to the rear brakes. So all it did was overflow the front section. There was no brakes at all. I don't know how they ever drove it.
Anyways, it sits to low to the ground and had taken some hard hits. The oil pan leaks and there are some cracks forming in the frame that must be welded.
Other then that I got it running and took it out for a nice date with my wife (with the owners approval of course). My wife had to keep reminding me that I wasn't that good looking. Everyone was staring at the car, not me. Dang!

drz400e 005.jpg drz400e 006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Caleb

Looks like a good bike. I don't know if you know this already, but the BD kit is backwards, open to run, closed to kill. Make sure the switch is on the P or the H on the left and the highbeams will only work on the H. Infact, if you buy the BD key, it's opposite of most keys as well (fits the BD kit). You should also have a couple wires that are unplugged, unless you have the key kit, if those two are plugged in together (which they can be) the bike won't run. BD provides great Customer Support. If you want to bring it by, I can see if it's setup the same as my BD kit. I won't be able to do any riding until maybe next saturday though (I'm on-call for work this week).

Should be a fun bike, now you need to get out on some trails with us. :p

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I just unhooked the kill switch. Right now it has some super ugly generic key switch. It works just fine to turn the bike off.

I up for riding whenever. I just new.....

I'm planning on heading up Butterfield to the mine overlook early Monday morning if anyone wants to come. I've never been up there, but I guess it's paved and dirt so it might be a good one.

Caleb

The Butterfield ride is a good one. Just be careful, I've almost been hit on my bike in that canyon more times then I can remember. Also, plan on it being busy since it's a holiday. That is a nice ride.

I don't care that you're new to riding...so am I :D If I go riding next saturday I'll let you know. :)

rholbrook

Bone stock to bone stock, the DRZ400 would run with the WR450. Once the WR450 has the rev-limiter disconnected, YZF Throttle stop added and the emission crap removed, the WR would beat it. New to riding or not, your DRZ will be a great, capable bike.

Have fun and be safe on the roads.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
What a great find for a 1st bike! I think you did very well, nothing like using your mechanical ability to pick up a good deal. :greg:

The 'E' model DRZ is what I had a few years ago, it's a bit lighter than the street-version 'S' model and has a tad more power due to tuning differences. The fast that yours came with a new BD street legal kit just sweetens the deal and completes the bike.

I think that you'll like the DRZ as an all around dual-sport. Get to that MSF class, pick up some quality riding gear and keep riding the bike, getting used to riding it on different surfaces. Take your time, don't get in over your head too soon and over time you'll pick up the finer details of dualsporting!

I still can't get the smile off my face...

That is exactly how I felt when I started riding... have to love that feeling.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'm pretty happy so far. I have a few questions maybe someone can help me with:
1. I took the generator cover plug off to rotate the engine and had almost a quote of oil pour out. Is that normal?
2. I can't get the idle right. I can't get it to run for more then a minute just idleing in my driveway. And it always wants to die when I come to a stop. Any ideas?
3. When slowing down, the exhaust is VERY poppy and seems to backfire. I'm assumeing it's just the Yoshi pipe, but not sure. Would that be normal?

I think I may just take it over to Suzuki and have them give it a once over. I just don't know enough about it to say whats good or bad.

Caleb

I'm pretty happy so far. I have a few questions maybe someone can help me with:
1. I took the generator cover plug off to rotate the engine and had almost a quote of oil pour out. Is that normal?
2. I can't get the idle right. I can't get it to run for more then a minute just idleing in my driveway. And it always wants to die when I come to a stop. Any ideas?
3. When slowing down, the exhaust is VERY poppy and seems to backfire. I'm assumeing it's just the Yoshi pipe, but not sure. Would that be normal?

I think I may just take it over to Suzuki and have them give it a once over. I just don't know enough about it to say whats good or bad.
I don't know about the oil dumping out, Greg may be able to answer that. As for your #2 and #3, that screams jetting. Popping on a bike is almost always related to improper jetting, not being able to idle says the same thing. IMO, it's a little pricey (about $80) but I would buy a JD Jetting kit. He's got the jetting down to a science.

rholbrook

I don't know about the oil dumping out, Greg may be able to answer that. As for your #2 and #3, that screams jetting. Popping on a bike is almost always related to improper jetting, not being able to idle says the same thing. IMO, it's a little pricey (about $80) but I would buy a JD Jetting kit. He's got the jetting down to a science.
X2
Sounds like it may be too lean. Take a look at the spark plug and see if it is white.

You could always take it over to Salt Lake Motor Sports (Ducati Dealer) and have them jet it on their Dyno. Makes a big difference and they can squeeze ever last pony out of it.

If not, with what you have basically said, its out all over the place. You could get on thumpertalk.com and ask what jets, needle and clip position others are running at this altitude with an aftermarket pipe. You will get the answers you are looking for. The DRZ400S comes stock with a 142.5 main jet, 22.5 pilot fuel jet.

Last edited: