My Jeep can Drive!

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Finally. I got my axle swapped out and I have everything matching!

Here's the story... I drive a 95 YJ with the wonderful and great Dana 35 in the rear. :D I broke the centering pin on one of my leaf packs which caused me to lose all the lift on that corner and made my entire axle shift positions.

So as I limp off of the trail hearing my tire rub and bend out my sheetmetal on the rear quarterpanel. I hit the road and whoa, huge vibrations, then I notice how tweeked my rear axle is. It is about 1 inch away from my rockslider and 1" away from my rear bumper (on the other side) So of course the vibes are bad coming from the driveshaft.

I pull the leaf springs off and fix the centering pins on both sides. I am about to put everything back together when my bro Scott calls me and says, Hey, why don't you put in the Dana 44 and the 6" lift I gave you?

So I decided too when I was talked out of the 6" lift because of the monoleaf and how unstable that would be. I finally got the Dana 35 out and unhooked everything.

I rolled in the Dana 44 and started hooking it up and resting it on my springs (oh yeah the 44 came out of a 70's Scout, so it is narrower than my YJ axles) I then find out that my yoke is incorrect. It was a 1310 (which I presumed my 95 YJ had as well) instead my YJ had a 1350 in the rear. I went to buy a new yoke and noone had one with U-bolts instead of straps. I hate straps, I have to have U-bolts.

So I then went to Jeepers Off Road and traded part of my old shaft for a replacement part that fit perfectly, same size and everything. (thanks Jason!)

So I got the Driveline hooked up. I then went and replaced all my brake lines with new ones. I bent them all along the axle and hooked them in. Bled the brakes, put on the wheel spacers (needed them to extend the width and to change the bolt pattern from 5 on 5.5 to 5 on 4.5 so I could run my same wheels.)

I put the wheels on and then towed it in to a shop to get the perches and shock mounts welded on.

I'm Stoked because it has been a long time since I have driven it. This project took me 3 months because I work 50+ hours a week and only have basic handtools (about 200 total and most are the same thing! :D )

Now I am getting my front diff regeared this week and then I can run it in 4wd and test everything...

The Dana 44 has an ARB Air Locker in it and 4.10 gears. Now is that a good deal or what? Oh yeah, I paid nothing for the axle! My older bro gave it to me cuz he upgraded to 60's!

Last edited:

Bart

Way to go Mike, that's exciting. Wow, both you and Scott will be back on the trails soon. Too cool.
Bart

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by Bart
Way to go Mike, that's exciting. Wow, both you and Scott will be back on the trails soon. Too cool.
Bart

Yeah no kiddin... It has been way too long for Scott. His should be done very soon... All I know is it will be done for Supercrawl.

It won't be painted though, so the tub will be black, black roll bar, green tailgate, green hood, fenders and front clip, unless he rattlecans it.

Originally posted by Greg Congrats, when are you going for the first test run?

Well... I only have 4.10's in the rear and 3.53's up front so I disconnected the front driveshaft just to be safe. I should get gears in this week and I believe I am going to Moab this weekend... So hopefully it will work right!

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
Originally posted by tweakeyjeep

Well... I only have 4.10's in the rear and 3.53's up front so I disconnected the front driveshaft just to be safe. I should get gears in this week and I believe I am going to Moab this weekend... So hopefully it will work right!

sweet i love the " lets drive to moab to test this out" attitude.
thats the same thing i did when i finished my long arm kit:D