My new campfire grill (homemade)

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
I decided to use a little of my scrap metal to build something useful... and here is the result:
DSC02474.jpg
DSC02472.jpg
I built this grill for cooking over the campfire. It has leftover parts from a barbecue grill, and some 1" square tube, and some plate with 1/4" holes in it, and a 40" long, 1" thick aluminum rod that I got at the steel yard. This is designed so that it will be fully adjustable from right above the fire to approximately 36" above the fire. The grill area is for steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs, etc, while the grating is for vegetables or for putting pots or pans on it to do some different cooking. I placed a full 5 gallon gas can on it for a weight test and it held firmly with the gas can out all the way out as far as I could get it. The grilling surface is 12" square for the grating, and 12"x18" for the actual grill.
All in all, not too bad for my first attempt at making a grill. I added handles on the sides for rotating it out of the fire for putting food on or taking it off.
Not bad at all.
Matt

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Good job, I like it. Only draw back I see though is getting that rod in the ground near a campfire which may not be a big deal. It seems like everywhere I have had a campfire though the gound is always rock hard.

turbosniper1

6x6x6 / Commando
The part that you can't see of the rod in the ground is that I turned the end of it to a rather pointed end. It is quite easy to drive down into the ground (and we have really hard clay dirt at my house).
And as for the gas can holder... hey you have to do what you have to do to get that fire going right?
I think that the next one I am going to build will have two legs that stand on the ground and will have a hand crank and chain drive for height adjustment. That will be interesting to build!!
Thanks for the kind words!