My new GPS setup

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I finally go around to playing with my new GPS receiver... its a SirfIII bluetooth receiver only. Basically it gets hard mounted to the dash (or glovebox, etc)... and has its own little battery. The battery can be charged by either the computers USB connection or a USB-cig lighter adapter it came with :cool:

All I do is turn on my computer topo software, activate the NMEA tracking and it shows me right where I am... without the need for wires, etc all over the cab. I can have an external antenna too for ulitmate reception :cool:

I'm new to all this bluetooth stuff... but liking it. I think my next addition will be a PDA... Nat.Geo has a toposoftware just for the PDA's, as long as they are bluetooth enabled they will pick up my bluetooth transmitter!

So, for those wanting to have vehicle navigation, and primarily use a laptop in the cab... this is the better option IMHO.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
That's nice. I have a pocket PC phone that I've been thinking about using as a gps mapper. :D

All I need is a similar bluetooth gps receiver.

kirk86CJ

I bought the National Geographic Pocket TOPO last summer. I have an IPAQ, and my freind has a bluetooth gps reciever we were going to try. I couldn't ever get the software to install on the IPAQ.
I gave up and bought a garmin.

You can borrow my software and see if it will work for you if you want.

Kirk

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Pics... sure...

The black IBM is my cheapy trail computer... its worth less than its case ;)

The Dell is next in line to be my trail comp, though I would like to find a much smaller laptop with decent memory on the cheap.

The small little unit sitting on the Dell is the GPS bluetooth receiver :cool:

Attachments

• Misc 003 (Medium).jpg
    Misc 003 (Medium).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 24

Caleb

I like these kinds of setups, I think a PDA would be best though because if you can hardly see laptop displays worth a darn in the daylight. Plus it's easy to mount a PDA securely almost anywhere and even for a brand new one you'd only be out a couple hundred if it got ruined somehow.

I have a Dell Axim I was going to do this with, it has bluetooth and wifi, but my brother decided to start using it. I picked up a Garmin handheld instead.