My new ride.

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
Well I got a new progect. My dad and I were working on his 83' cj7. This past May I lost my dad and hunting buddy to cancer. We never got to finish his jeep. Well now that my mom has had time to her self and trying to adjust to a new life, she has givin me dads jeep. So its time to finish his jeep and honor him in enjoying it with my family. So a few thing about the Jeep. Its an 83' cj7, he bought it when his mom died back in 88', drove it for many years had alot of fun in it. Just awile ago we put in a 350/350, so he didnt have to worry about a clutch and shifting gears at 73 yrs of age. Now a few things i want to do. Replace the 350/350 with a 4.3/4l60e or 700r4. Change axles to?? Maybe yotas to keep it stock track for street driving. Its got a dana 300, will keep that. So far i've put a new top on and built some tube fenders for it. I cut the stock seat brackets down to lower them to see out the window better, put some lifted spring that i had bought for dad on, cant stand the ride!! Got some different tires, some worn 36's. Better than the 30's!! Going to link and coil it when the funds allow, so it doesn't kill your back when you drive it. Heres a few pics of when i got it and put the new top on and a few pics of progress. Will update as time and changes allow.
Dwayne

Attachments

• Dads_Jeep_004.jpg
    Dads_Jeep_004.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Dads_Jeep_005.jpg
    Dads_Jeep_005.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Dads_Jeep_006.jpg
    Dads_Jeep_006.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Dads_Jeep_01.jpg
    Dads_Jeep_01.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Dads_Jeep_02.jpg
    Dads_Jeep_02.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Dads_Jeep_001.jpg
    Dads_Jeep_001.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Dads_Jeep_Fenders_03.jpg
    Dads_Jeep_Fenders_03.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Dads_Jeep_Fenders_05.jpg
    Dads_Jeep_Fenders_05.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 10

Caleb

Don't want to sound like a dick but why'd you cut up such a clean jeep? It doesn't look like it had much more than maybe a little surface rust. Anyways, it should be a fun project. Keep us updated.

rondo

rondo
Sincere condolences on your loss.
Keep us posted on the progress. The 4.3 would be awesome. If you link it then stretch it, as that will greatly improve it off road.

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
Thanks for the replies. No you dont sound like a dick, everybody has an opinion and thats cool, no offense taken. Would like to stretch it a little, maybe a couple of inches in the rear and a few in the front just to get it around 100" wb. I've had a 4.3 in my sammy, 87' runner and now in my wifes 95' runner. I'm not a big hp guy and like the mpg's it gives me and has enough power for me. Took it out sat nite for alittle while. We went up Davenport cyn and then up to the mine on top of N. Willow cyn. Did ok but the carb has got to go. Anything off camber would just flood out. It a fun change to go from my, 87' runner stretched to 112" wb. Locked frt and rear, 97' 4.3 on 35's bobbed 12" to a stock cj7 with stiff as hell 4" lifted springs and open diffs. Was very pleased to get out on a trail again.
Hopfully i'll be going back to work a week from tomorrow, its been a long 3 1/2 months. Enjoyed the time off with the family but workers comp dont pay sh*t. Need money for dads jeep.
Dwayne

ricsrx

Hey Dwayne glad to see you getting started on your dads jeep, I hope my son and I will have as close of a relationship as you have had with your dad, hope to see ya on the trail soon.
Rick