my project--any comments or ideas?

wort

frenchie
i am soon attempting to get my truck trail ready-
it is a 1987 22r (yes carbed..) short bed with IFS (my favorite;) ) i have done a 2" body lift allready. my plans are as follows- (if you have any suggestions, go ahead and give 'em to me)
-straight axle out of a 84 toy with a fj-80 3rd member with a stock electric locker (in my garage) :D
-front wagoneer springs (in my backyard) with dropped front spring hangers and shackles through the frame.
-rear mazda 2wd truck springs (need :( ) with new spring mounts & shackles
-rear traction bar (rocklogic; i should talk to Von) to control spring wrap.
-axle has crossover steering (not hy-steer, :( but it will do for now)
-bobbed bed (autobody repair class @ school)
-dual trans cases (well, mabye not quite yet.) :rolleyes:
-i have a seperate trans case from another truck, will it work for dual trans? :confused:
-mabye ARB in rear, if i can get the $$$$
well, thats all i can think of now, did i forget anything? if you have any ideas let me hear em, and if you have anything that would help my cause, (parts) that would be nice too :D

Bones

Originally posted by wort
i
-i have a seperate trans case from another truck, will it work for dual trans? :confused:
If it's a top shifting case, it'll work just fine ;)

Don't worry to much about the hi-steer. std. crossover allows you to move the axle forward more and less intereance with the drag link hitting the tie rod.

Same with the ARB...For the rear, weld, lock rite, detroit, spool would all be IMO better. I do love my front ARB, but have never wanted an open diff, so I chose a Detroit, soon to be a spool.

Good luck and have fun :cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Bones
Don't worry to much about the hi-steer. ...

No way... hi steer all the way!!! Get your tie-rod out of the dirt... its only a few bucks more than a crossover arm anyways...:D

Do it right, do it once...:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Bones
...For the rear, weld, lock rite, detroit, spool would all be IMO better. I do love my front ARB, ...

ARB or the Electric locker all the way...talk to your Bro Wort, he will convince you...:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by SAMI
No 'LockWrongs"! go air wort.

Hahaha... you do listen well Jason...:D

Just ask Smokin Camel how much fun he has with his Lockwrong and he doesn't even daily drive it... Everytime that thing unloaded, I unloaded in my pants... I thought the driveline was beating a hole in the tub... Smokin' said "oh it always does that"...;)

wort

frenchie
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit

No way... hi steer all the way!!! Get your tie-rod out of the dirt... its only a few bucks more than a crossover arm anyways...:D

Do it right, do it once...:D
it allready has that cheesey crossover arm on it, and i will buy Hy-steer later, because the money i have now will have to pay for my ARB and r&p sets dual trans case...:D :D :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by wort

it allready has that cheesey crossover arm on it, and i will buy Hy-steer later, because the money i have now will have to pay for my ARB and r&p sets dual trans case...:D :D :D

At least you know what you want...:D ;)

Vonski

nothing to see here...
OK, so you already will be running the Toyota elec. locker up front, right? Finding another one for the rear would be my recommendation. You can easily buy one and do the modifications/install (or have someone else do it ;) ) and end up paying less than you would for the ARB. There is no disadvantage in running the elec. over the air locker.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit

Hahaha... you do listen well Jason...:D

Just ask Smokin Camel how much fun he has with his Lockwrong and he doesn't even daily drive it... Everytime that thing unloaded, I unloaded in my pants... I thought the driveline was beating a hole in the tub... Smokin' said "oh it always does that"...;)
You Toyota people, always so picky! :rolleyes:
Wort, LockRights are good to go! They are inexpensive, easy to install and tough as nails. Personally, if I had the money I would go for an ARB, but haveing a locker makes all the difference (you've seen me wheel) so if you dont have the cash, I'd go with a LockRight. Detroits are ok, but every person I've ever known with a Detroit has had it explode on them within the first 6 months. You get used to driving with a full time locker, its a bit odd to begin with, but eventually it just becomes normal.:cool:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by SRN
...LockRights are good to go! ...

As if, luckily I know your bro will kick your butt if you even suggest a Lockwrong. He has worked in 4x4 shops long enough to see the disasters thay cause... plus he loves his ARB...:D

wort

frenchie
the way i see it is- having an electric locker in the front makes me want to keep it the same in the rear. and the thought of getting a 200$ compressor for just the rear is kinda dumb when the front locks with the press of a (electric) button. so, electric it is, anyone know where i can score a rear 3rd member with elec. locker? (cheap?) :D
about the lockwrong- i personally dont want a piece of crap right next to my (essential for moving the truck) ring and pinon for the fear of it exploding and ruining the gears. and plus, my brother would hang me up by my intestines if i did it.:eek: