My TJ's front end, -OR- behold the bumpsteering wanderer!

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
By popular demand, here are some photos of my front end setup.

Jeep1.jpg

Jeep2.jpg

Jeep3.jpg

Jeep4.jpg

Jeep5.jpg

I recently learned the bushings connecting my my upper control arms to the axle are shot (which means the equally-old bushings at the rear of the control arms are probably also in need of replacement). If I'm sitting still and I barely rock forward or backward, the front axle seems to rock or pivot on the lower control arm bushings. (Does that make sense?) I discovered this by having a co-worker look underneath while I gently rocked back and forth in the parking lot.

Now that I think about it, I'm sure I ought to go through the entire suspension on this rig and look for items in need of general maintenance. I almost never drive this thing, which means I almost never even think about it.
</shame>

Agility Customs

Vendor
When you are doing your control arms I would lengthen the lower control arms a 1/4"-3/8" or so. It will hurt your pinion angle but it should drive considerably better with added caster as well. Also shortening your uppers would accomplish the same thing so whatever is easiest.

Get everything tightened up and then address the possible track bar angle issue, I like to make up a quick CAD drawing with the pivot points of the track bar and drag link plugged in with there travel radius and adjust the mounting holes as necessary.

You could also do that with some graph paper, a ruler and a drafting compass. The general rule of thumb is you want the track bar and drag link dead parallel to avoid bump steer BUT if they are not exactly the same length you dont necessarily want them parallel (this where the added math comes in) It also comes down to if you want it perfect or you just want it good enough.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It will also be worth looking at the rear suspension....that can make it wander as well. I noticed a marked reduction in twichiness when I triangulated the rear end on my TJ.