My welder dilema.

jentzschman

I am saving for a welder. I was/am looking at getting the Hobart 140

Her is the issue: My current residens has a 220 dryer outlet, but from looking into things a little while ago, its old and only has a 30 amp fuse, if I remember. That, and from looking at the wire that feeds the outlet, it appears to be less then what will do for a 220v welder, gauge wise.

Second, its the wrong style plug anyway.....

So, with that, I know getting a 220 welder is the best way to go.

I currently have a 2000 Tacoma that I am building up. For now, I want to keep her street legal. So I know major HD welds are not in its future, for now.

So, as the specs go for the Hobart, I am thinking it will do very well for my needs.

I just wanted to get some feedback from guys who may have been in my shoes and who have tons more experience then I in building up a rig.

Thanks for any help.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
30 amps at 220v is probably more than the machine needs anyway. Also, you won't often be welding at full power with a 220v welder.

If the plug is different, just make an adapter.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Adapter plugs are like $9. I have had both a 110 welder and 220. I would never use the 110 again. Plus welding with gas is way better than flux core and you won't get good penetration welding with gas on a 110 welder.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
Adapter plugs are like $9. I have had both a 110 welder and 220. I would never use the 110 again. Plus welding with gas is way better than flux core and you won't get good penetration welding with gas on a 110 welder.

What he said.

I wish I would NEVER have spent money on a 110V welder. :-\

jentzschman

One other issue I just remembered is the outlet is at least 25 feet away from a good working area. So I would need a long extension cord and those babies are way pricey if memory serves.

My buddy built his rig with a 110 and said it was powerful enough for him and penetrated just fine.

Granted it has no cage, but he did some nice 1/4 inch welds with it on multiple pass and it looks just fine.

For the most part, I could care less how pretty the welds look, slag and all....

Ugh...

Thanks for the input guys.

cjncustoms

I built my rig thefirst time with a 110 millermatic 135 and it worked flawlessly!! Still use it to this day!! On my rig I originally had to extend the frame in the front for the spring hangers and I was just butt welded with no plates and no guesses and I jumped it multiple time and they never cracked or broke! If you take your time and pending on what you do a 110 will serve you fine. My recent build on all my link supension stuff I did 220....

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
My two peso's, get the biggest baddest welder you can afford even if you can't run it at full load right now.

Your dryer curcuit will work just fine. I run my welder and hot tub off what used to be my dryer. Granted, I don't weld while I'm in the hot tub much. :D

You are correct, the extension cord is pricey, but wire is cheap. Rather than installing several 220V outlets in my shop, I just have one. But, I put a 30 foot cord on my welder. It'll reach every inch of my garage, and almost out to the street for ocassional driveway work.

fj40fax

I have a Hobart 140, works for all the small stuff I need it to do. I wouldn't trust my life to my welding skills, but it is great for sliders and bumpers and stuff. I have a buddy with a large truck mounted welder I get to do all my important welds for me, like the frame on our scout trailer...

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I ran a Lincoln 250 for over a year off my 30amp dryer plug. I had to switch the plug on the welder, but other then that it worked great. I never burned hot enough to cause a problem, but did 1/4 inch all the time. The house was built in the 70's sometime and the wiring was that old. Deals can be had. Just keep looking and don't settle on a welder. I picked up my Hobart 250 that I have now for like $275. You can make your own extension cord for it and save a ton of money.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
My two peso's, get the biggest baddest welder you can afford even if you can't run it at full load right now.

Your dryer curcuit will work just fine. I run my welder and hot tub off what used to be my dryer. Granted, I don't weld while I'm in the hot tub much. :D

You are correct, the extension cord is pricey, but wire is cheap. Rather than installing several 220V outlets in my shop, I just have one. But, I put a 30 foot cord on my welder. It'll reach every inch of my garage, and almost out to the street for ocassional driveway work.

This!

Buy outdoor wiring and plugs and make your own.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I picked up a millermatic 211 from airgas a few months ago and have been very happy with it :D