My welder dilema.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I've got a couple old dented up fenders here you can have, if you're wanting to practice some sheet metal welding before attempting the bob. Othewise, they'll hit the scrapper.

Dan Fredrickson

Quick with a Laser!
I see the original poster got his welder but for the rest of you looking I should mention something nobody else said. Craigslist.

I have 6 welders, 5 of them 250 amp or bigger. All within 10 years old. I paid no more than $800 for any one of them, including the 2 year old ESAB 252 Migmaster with less than 20 hours on it.

And if you cannot afford the big 250+ machine get one of the 135-140amp 110V machines that are sold on CL everyday for under $200 til you can. Using it will make you a much better welder and you can do wonders when using Flux Core.

You can also get a very powerful stick machine for $50-100 everyday on CL. A stick in the right hands will weld better (penetration wise) than its equivalent Mig machine...

So, for those of you still looking, don't avoid flux core and don't ignore a stick machine. Both can weld great. If you like a challenge get a torch and learn the way anyone over 45 had to...It will make you a better TIG welder down the road anyway!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
X2 Dan. I built my first rig with a stick welder. Maybe wasn't as pretty as what I do now, but it never failed me. Plus, you should learn stick anyways, so trail repairs will be easier.

On a side note, Dual shield is fun. I just picked it up. Wont ever use on this stuff though.

jentzschman

Well, finally got it all worked out.

Got the extension cord finished tonight and tried it out a small bit.

So far its nice.

Cant wait to finish up my bumper wrap around and do u bolt flip.

Other small stuff to come as well.

Thanks again everyone.