My Wifes first run.

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
My family is heading to Moab next weekend. It is my wifes first trip, and I really don't want it to be her last. I had to beg her to come this time. My dad wants to run the Pickle. I have read some threads on here but was wondering what other trail it could be compared to in difficulty? I read that it CAN be pretty easy, but traildamage.com http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=177 rates it as hard if not harder than Pritchett. How long should it take to run if we come out with no break downs? Any suggestions to break her in easy?

Tyson

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
I really enjoy the pickle! Our TJ on 35's, with lockers did pretty well on the trail. We have ran the trail twice one time we made it all the way through and the next time we had to be winched up the very last obstacle. It is a nice short trail, we usually run it as our Sunday trail on the way out of town.

A few more ideas for helping your wife enjoy rockcrawling:

If she wants to gasp, or scream, LET HER!!! and don't be angry. I LOVE rockcrawling, but there are still times when I gasp or even scream when I think it is a little scary. It doesn't mean that I am not having a good time, or that I won't go again, it just means I am nervous and ultimately that my adrenaline is going lol

If there is something super scary, and she would like to get out, once again totally cool!! I still refuse to ride in the jeep on no left turn on Rusty Nail. I don't like that obstacle, but I do like rockcrawling.

Last but not least, if it is at all possible, meaning it is an easy obstacle, and she would like to, let her drive. Driving totally changed rockcrawling for me. It helped me understand why the vehicle felt the way it felt on obstacles which really helped me not be as afraid, and it gave me a taste of the rush. It is totally awesome to get to the top of an obstacle knowing that you just drove up it!

I think the most important way to help your wife enjoy rockcrawling is by keeping your cool. If something happens, don't be angry, if she is afraid, or wants to get out, slow down and let her watch or take pictures. Also try to be super prepared with food, drinks, and don't forget toilet paper (Girls don't have it as easy when it comes to going to the bathroom on the trail), there is nothing worse than getting stuck on a trail and not having enough food or water.

I hope you guys have a good time!!!

i totally agree with JPNGRL44 said, If you make it a good experience theres a good chance that it will become a family hobby. If its a bad one then she probably will not want to try it again or at least not often. And dont forget warm clothes, and maybe a blanket or two. Have a great time.

Havent ran the pickle so not sure on that tail, maybe you can find some pictures online to give you and idea what to expect.:)

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
The Pickle is a short, fun trail. It is no where near as difficult as Pritchett, but it still probably wouldn't be my choice to take someone on for their first trail. I have run it many times (just did it today, as a matter of fact). The first obstacle is a pretty steep, ledgy climb that can be tricky, and has seen it's share of roll-overs. The second obstacle is a very tight squeeze, and while not real difficult, there is a very good chance of body damage on a full-bodied rig. The last obstacle has been altered recently, and is much easier than in the past, but is still a pretty tough climb. There is an easy bypass, though. If you run the Pickle, you could continue on and do Mashed Potatoes, which is another fun trail that takes you over to 3-D.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Wheeling is a great family event. Running the hard stuff is great and its something my wife loves. But she really likes the more scenic trails too. Just make it as fun as possible. Dinner at Zax and a nice hotel room are good ice breakers and will make her want to come back for more.

Watch out letting her drive... she might want her own rig. My winter project is building a new YJ for my wife. Darn thing is going to be nicer than my old rig.

rholbrook

The best trail to take your wife on and make her drive is Fins and Things. Nice short trail with some fun obstacles. Zac is good but Pasta Jays is better

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Thanks for the advise. I think we will try to go down earlier Friday and hit Fins n Things while my dad and uncle hit Pritchett. That may give her a little time to warm up to the idea. Then Saturday run The Pickle then PSM or vise versa. Sunday my mom wants to run Kane Creek so it will be a big week end. I hope not to much at once. Maybe getting her addicted isn't a bad thing then she will understand why I want to get my Scout done so bad. Then if she wants me to start on her one, great the more reason to upgrade my tow rig :greg: If any one is down that week end let me know I have never run fins and things I know its not hard but it might be nice to have someone there who has run it before.

SLIVER

))--SLIVER-->
THANKS FOR THE INVITE MAN!!!! Just kidding. I hope you have fun and are safe. you wife will like the Pickle. It is very fun. The runner made every obstacle without a winch. We actually ran the pickle and then mashed potato in the same day, as the trails are both short, and close to each other. Both were very fun.

You better load up some pic's when you get back.

))--SLIVER-->

Thardy

"FARM TOY"
Well it went pretty good. She didn't want to get out at all she said if she was going to do it she was going to all the way. we ended up running poison spider and golden spike up to the waterfall then turned around and went backwards through poison spider. It turned into a lot longer day than I had hoped for. The kids loved it, but by the end my wife was ready to be done. We will see if she goes again in the spring or not.