My XJ's got a door Job

teamwestoutdoor

All Locked up
I just wanted to throw on some photos of my latest project. I have been looking at ways to keep the inside cool on my Jeep Cherokee, being a black jeep with no AC it gets pretty hot inside. So, I started looking into cut down doors. But since I use my XJ for my hunting business, I didn't want to freeze out everyone on the way to a duck blind in December. SO i had to make my door interchangeable. Since I was able to pick up a parts Jeep with my Jeep I decided to cut up the parts jeep doors and use them in the summer and put the original doors back on in the colder months. So here is how it all went down.

First, I cut the bottom tab on both hinges to allow me to lift the door up and off. I know the photo isn't that great but you get the idea.
699936982_photobucket_39513_.jpg

This is a look at the hinge after I cut it.
699936982_photobucket_39516_.jpg

Also, I ground down the roll pin to make a point so it would slide back in easier when I changed them out.

I took off the parts doors the same way and then drew my template on it and started cutting. I used a cutting torch because my grinder sucks monkey butt and I covered over the top with a big piece of U-channel anyway.
699936982_photobucket_39240_.jpg

After the cut was make to both sides I had to do some gutting and just trashed most of the parts inside as they all mostly melted anyway. I did save the windows just in case I flop one day and need a replacement.
699936982_photobucket_39241_.jpg

I fit it onto Dudley to make sure it all fit and that the door latch still worked. I did have to splash some beer on it as it started on fire. But it works great. I did save one of the push rods for the door latch and just ran it straight up and out the top so all you have to do it push it down and the door opens.
699936982_photobucket_39514_.jpg

I thought for max air flow I would just leave the doors off but then I got scared I would fall out. :rofl:

699936982_photobucket_39515_.jpg

I cut the inside door panel to fit and used some pop rivets to put it all back together with my top cap in place. I added a rattle can of paint and I'm ready for EJS.

699936982_photobucket_40478_.jpg

699936982_photobucket_40479_.jpg

X1994J

XJ's Bring the Uni-Suck
Looks good. I have an almost finished set I would have sold you for next to nothin. :D

Mine are done a little different. Kept the mirror, door handle, and top frame on them.

0_IMAGE_701.jpg

0910091639a.jpg

cheepin

Team I would suggest doing something with those sharp points you have on the cap.Someone is going to get a good slice.You could just round the corners.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
It looks nice and all, but couldn't you just roll down the windows?

have you ever ridden in a first gen xj? the windows are tiny to begin with and the little triangle windows on the front of them make the opening even smaller. any adult that's over like 6' looks like a giant trying to stick their head out. half doors (or no doors) win

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
The ability to see the rocks and the freedom it gives is liberating. It is amazing at how much nicer it is with them off. You should try it sometime. The only reason I do not run wtih them off all the time is my wife and kids do not like the wind/cold.

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
The ability to see the rocks and the freedom it gives is liberating. It is amazing at how much nicer it is with them off. You should try it sometime. The only reason I do not run wtih them off all the time is my wife and kids do not like the wind/cold.

I drive a YJ, but have driven XJ's before. I know all about going doorless.;)

teamwestoutdoor

All Locked up
Team I would suggest doing something with those sharp points you have on the cap.Someone is going to get a good slice.You could just round the corners.

I used the original door liner anything that could cut a person. My wife and son ride in that seat alot so I did build it with their safety in mind. I do think if I can find another set of doors I would do some things diffrent but for now these will do.

Being that I'm 6'-2" and 250 lbs I can tell you that rolling the windows down and sticking my head out is not an option. It's a small act of contortion to just get in and out of the thing as it is, ha ha.
So half doors give me the sence of being secure with the freedom of being able to see what I'm doing.