narrow a rockwell front

well after digging them out of the snow last week and getting them torn down i decided to narrow them. why you ask, well the east coast trails that i run are tight. most fullsized alxe's push there way thru most of them. the other reasion is i converted to MAD-MAC's 14 bolt conversion http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732246 and when i have the SRW hubs on it will be 80 3/4" WMS.

i plan on runing uncut H-1's but dropping 7.5'' off the long side tube will put me right were my jeep is now, as far as overall width.

so along with the tech. i cut the long side tube off, i messured 7" off the center of the last two bolts and cut the housing. then i cut the 7.5''s off the other end. then i ground a beval on the drop side tube and set the backup strips on.

thats were i ran into a small mess. when they built the rockwells ( well mine at least ) they take two side's like a clam shell and welded them together. well the problem is the weld sucks the side of the tube's togehter and make's a wave on them. to the naked eye you really cant see it, but its there.

so what does that all mean, it means i cant just take some back up srtips and hope that could aling the two halve's together.
so now i need to make a line up bar and build the two with a JIG ( more on that later ).

so heres were im at now, more to follow.

jason.

Attachments

• rockwell 1.jpg
    rockwell 1.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 10
  • rockwell 2.jpg
    rockwell 2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 7
  • rockwell 3.jpg
    rockwell 3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reminds of that article a few years back in one of the mags... showed pretty much the same thing if I remember right... Cool!

ya and they used just angel iron???????? i cant, i will get buy this small obstical but it more money for the machine shop. i need to have four pucks made and a i will use my 9" line-up bar. it will work just sets me back in time and a little cash.

jason.

well got my parts back for my JIG. very simple parts and went together easy. i didn't have a chance to weld them but i will friday and will post back.
i have the puck with the 1.5" hiems sitting in them and placed tight in the bearing jurnals. then i tapped the plates into the sealling surface. the bar went thru very easyly and lines it up perfect.

heres a few pictures of the parts, jason.

Attachments

• rockwell 8.jpg
    rockwell 8.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 3
  • rockwell 9.jpg
    rockwell 9.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 4
  • rockwell 10.jpg
    rockwell 10.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 4
well got them welded today. sorry for the crappy pics but here they are. i did one root and three cover pass's. i did the last two as caps, the bevel was a little to big for one pass with the .035 wire.

so here they are in oreder.

jason.

Attachments

• rocwell 14.jpg
    rocwell 14.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 3
  • rockwell 11.jpg
    rockwell 11.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3
  • rockwell 12.jpg
    rockwell 12.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2