Narrowed D60, Gm14???

ramp_1000

Tree Nazi
Anyone know where I can get a a YJ width Kingpin Dana 60, driver-side diff, and a Corporate 14-bolt, also YJ width, without having to sell various internal organs to acquire them? I know there are 14s running around that are 62" WMS to WMS out of Cab and Chassis or Ambulance conversion Chevys. They just happen to be rather rare. Another note, should I slap a Supercharger on my 4.0, or should I swap in a 5.7 Hemi? Opinions?

Terrible Paulsy

100% Evil Conservative
What is your end objective? Are you trying to stay "street legal"? Are you trying to keep/make this a daily driver? Are you trying to park this thing in "compact car parking"? :p If this is just a trial rig, then it seems like an awful lot of work and money for a little narrower stance. H2 wheels can solve that. More info please

And yes, I know you wanted my opinion :rofl:

Caleb

:rolleyes: you ask where you can get a custom width D60 thats cheap, then in the next sentence you ask if you should swap a supercharger($3-4K) or a 5.7L Hemi (if you can even find one, I would guess around $8K)...for the 60 go to Dynatrac, Rockcrusher, Tera, Currie, etc...unless you can do the work yourself (Which I would assume you cant otherwise you would not have asked the question) youa re gonna have to pay for it...you could always find a stock 60 and have it narrowed but you will still be into it around $1500 for jsut the narrowed housing, then gears and lockers and any other upgrades you want are in addition to that...you pretty much have two factopry available widths on the 14T, 63" or 67"

Batman

supergper said:
:rolleyes: you ask where you can get a custom width D60 thats cheap, then in the next sentence you ask if you should swap a supercharger($3-4K) or a 5.7L Hemi (if you can even find one, I would guess around $8K)...for the 60 go to Dynatrac, Rockcrusher, Tera, Currie, etc...unless you can do the work yourself (Which I would assume you cant otherwise you would not have asked the question) youa re gonna have to pay for it...you could always find a stock 60 and have it narrowed but you will still be into it around $1500 for jsut the narrowed housing, then gears and lockers and any other upgrades you want are in addition to that...you pretty much have two factopry available widths on the 14T, 63" or 67"
What he said, with another :rolleyes: or two :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Deffinately go with the Hemi...think about it---It's way more cost effective than jet propulsion and the fuel is less expensive too! win win!

when compared to a hemi swap, all narrowed 60's are cheap. well, except Camo's but thats rediculous.

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
Cody said:
Deffinately go with the Hemi...think about it---It's way more cost effective than jet propulsion and the fuel is less expensive too! win win!

when compared to a hemi swap, all narrowed 60's are cheap. well, except Camo's but thats rediculous.

shoot, why go with jet propulsion when you can go with cold fusion hydrogen or even atomic power! just think what the emissions would be like, not to mention the nice tan he could get!!!!!!!!nice banter thread though. HA_HA_HA_HEE_HEE!!!!!!!!

ramp_1000

Tree Nazi
When I was asking about the Hemi, it was just an opinion question. One of those, "What If I could sell my Liver on EBay" kind of questions. Anyway, I plan on keeping the thing street legal with California legal emissions, so the Hemi would probably be more trouble than it is worth. My ultimate end objective is to have a reliable daily driver that can pretty much go anywhere. I'm not quite sure if Hummer wheels, the two piece beadlocks, are necessarily DOT approved. If they are my only option regarding full-width axles under my YJ, I'm sure I can acquire some DOT-looking stickers and slap em on the wheels. I would prefer some other options in the wheel department, though the Hummer wheels would fit the motif. Has anyone heard about the American Racing Teflon wheels? Those are undeniably different. Let me know. Oh yeah, say Hi to me at UROC at Cedar City on May 14 and 15.

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
ramp_1000 said:
Anyone know where I can get a a YJ width Kingpin Dana 60, driver-side diff, and a Corporate 14-bolt, also YJ width, without having to sell various internal organs to acquire them? I know there are 14s running around that are 62" WMS to WMS out of Cab and Chassis or Ambulance conversion Chevys. They just happen to be rather rare. Another note, should I slap a Supercharger on my 4.0, or should I swap in a 5.7 Hemi? Opinions?

Expensive is relative.
If I was looking at going to a stronger front axle for my Land Cruiser, I would get a Sunray Engineering 609. This is a Ford 9" center Section, with Dana 60 kingpins on the end. Or a Sunray 1550, which is a ford 9" center section with larger kingpins than a Dana 60 (it's a 1.5 ton axle).
The 609 runs about $4200-4700 complete. While at the outset this seems expensive, I priced a similar Dynatrac 'High Clearance' Dana 60. It was 6,000 before Icould consider putting it into my rig.

I like the concept of the Sunray 609. The Ford 9" center section gives you better clearance than the Dynatrac High clearance Dana 60. gives a drop out center section. It also gives you 35 spline axles, u-bolted u-joints, and ultra beefy Dana 60 outers.

-James H.

Caleb

TigerStripe40 said:
The Ford 9" center section gives you better clearance than the Dynatrac High clearance Dana 60. gives a drop out center section. It also gives you 35 spline axles, u-bolted u-joints, and ultra beefy Dana 60 outers.

-James H.

and it gives you a nice LOW pinion...:D

if you are going to spend the bucks you may as well atleast get HP out of it...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
supergper said:
and it gives you a nice LOW pinion...:D

if you are going to spend the bucks you may as well atleast get HP out of it...
Not if it's upside down... :D Seriously, though. $4something grand to drop on an axle is a TON. I betcha you can put something similar together yourself for much less. Just take the time to learn how to do it.

Caleb

RockMonkey said:
Not if it's upside down... :D Seriously, though. $4something grand to drop on an axle is a TON. I betcha you can put something similar together yourself for much less. Just take the time to learn how to do it.

or if its this third member;)

Caleb

RockMonkey said:
Cool! First time I've seen that. That aint a cheap third though, and you still have to buy some kind of locker to stuff in it!

yeah, and not only that but you are limited to the smaller carriers (28/31 spline) and as of right now you are limited to those specific gears too...

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
supergper said:
yeah, and not only that but you are limited to the smaller carriers (28/31 spline) and as of right now you are limited to those specific gears too...
What? You can run it with 35 spline? What good is it then? Screw it, run 'em upside-down.