Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Framing inspection is done and went well. He actually laughed at the attic access saying the contractor must've done it out of habit. He thinks it's not needed unless there's ~30" of space in the trusses which there definitely isn't. He said I could sheetrock over it if I want to.

He of course mentioned the firewall nonsense that I've talked to multiple city employees about at this point. One of the building dept guys said I could just double up the type x on the inside of the back wall but he said he'll have to check with him on that. I should've just gotten it in writing so that's a lesson learned. My contractor still doesn't believe they put drywall on the outside and stucco (or siding) over it. I agree it seems super strange. The inspector said every structure in WJ that's within 5' of a property line is done that way. I feel like I'm between two arguing parents lol

Last edited:

N-Smooth

Looking really good :cool:

I remember that home shop build excitement (twice actually :D) and how fun it is to dial it in for your needs. Love watching the progress!
Thanks man! It’s been an interesting process with lots of learning, excitement and anxiety all rolled into one.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Fwiw on the firewall. I'm in SL County but I had to deal with that on my south wall as it's ~3' from the property line. We were good to go with a standard two layers of sheetrock on the interior wall, nothing special with the insulation or exterior panel/sheeting. Can confirm, it works good against fires. :D
There's probably a difference with a metal building vs. stick frame though. I have a layer on the inside, and one outside the sheeting on my two walls that are adjacent property lines. And it was thicker rock as well, IIRC.

N-Smooth

Fwiw on the firewall. I'm in SL County but I had to deal with that on my south wall as it's ~3' from the property line. We were good to go with a standard two layers of sheetrock on the interior wall, nothing special with the insulation or exterior panel/sheeting. Can confirm, it works good against fires. :D
Yeah I heard back from the inspector already and he said I’m good to do double thick 5/8” type X on the inside of the back wall. Still have to do it inside and out on the side wall that borders the neighbor’s property.

There's probably a difference with a metal building vs. stick frame though. I have a layer on the inside, and one outside the sheeting on my two walls that are adjacent property lines. And it was thicker rock as well, IIRC.
So you have drywall on the outside? It’s going to always seem weird to me. Mine has to be 5/8” type X, yeah.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Yeah I heard back from the inspector already and he said I’m good to do double thick 5/8” type X on the inside of the back wall. Still have to do it inside and out on the side wall that borders the neighbor’s property.

So you have drywall on the outside? It’s going to always seem weird to me. Mine has to be 5/8” type X, yeah.
Yeah, inside and out on two walls. Then my siding is on the outside of that.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

I think your right. With a metal framed structure, the interior double layer theoretically protects both my shop from a neighboring fire as well as my neighbors from my fire. But with stick frame, an adjacent fire on a neighbors property could theoretically ignite ones framed walls and take the building with it.

My 2 layers of sheet rock absorbed plenty of water in my fire :eek:

Feb_1 (Medium).jpg

N-Smooth

Skylights are in, roofing guy is supposed to come tomorrow to put the flashing around them, dry it in and do drip edge.
I really like the skylights. It wasn’t a bright day today but it still changed the inside of the shop a ton. They’re also pretty neat little units, they have slots for the drywall to slide into. I thought that was pretty slick.
IMG_3353.jpeg
IMG_3352.jpegIMG_3351.jpeg
image.jpg

N-Smooth

Roofer showed up this evening and banged out half the roof. I didn’t get any pics cause I was dealing with other stuff.
I got both of the ground rods hammered in. I was going to rent the driver for it and be done in a few minutes but my 54 year old uncle said he did his with a sledge so I felt like a girl. My arms are tired but my pride is intact… I guess.IMG_3362.jpeg
Then I started messing with light placement because you know, that’s important and stuff. These lights @Herzog recommended are brighter than my future.
IMG_3363.jpeg
I’m thinking I’ll put all 6 in there anyways, no shadows allowed. Maybe 4 in a box pattern (like the first one) and then 1 back middle and 1 front middle. We shall see.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Roofer showed up this evening and banged out half the roof. I didn’t get any pics cause I was dealing with other stuff.
I got both of the ground rods hammered in. I was going to rent the driver for it and be done in a few minutes but my 54 year old uncle said he did his with a sledge so I felt like a girl. My arms are tired but my pride is intact… I guess.View attachment 171158
Then I started messing with light placement because you know, that’s important and stuff. These lights @Herzog recommended are brighter than my future.
View attachment 171159
I’m thinking I’ll put all 6 in there anyways, no shadows allowed. Maybe 4 in a box pattern (like the first one) and then 1 back middle and 1 front middle. We shall see.
Never too much light.

N-Smooth

Never too much light.
For sure. This is 3 of them. It’s hard for my phone to capture since it’s totally dark outside but it’s super bright in there. I’m still considering getting 2 more and putting one directly over where I anticipate the work bench will be. I don’t think I’d regret it, I just figured I’d do a lower, normal-er work light there. Hmmmm
IMG_3364.jpeg

1969honda

Supporting Member
More lights are always better. When I installed the sub panel on my garage 6 years ago I upgraded the (4) single bulbs to (6) 4 T8 LED fixtures. At the time I thought it was awesome, fast forward, I still want more light.

The cabinets I installed last year on the are great for storage, but have created shadows on my work benches.

rholbrook

I agree, never too much light. I even put boxes on a couple of my walls about 4' up. My thought was if/when I get a lift in there, I'd have a way to mount lights that shine under the vehicle on the lift.
Years ago I prepped cars for paint and they had lights down low in the shop and in the spray booths. I keep thinking I should do the same in my garage but then I figure its a waste of money since its still connected to the house. Some day, I tell myself.

N-Smooth

The roofer came out today and got part of the south side done and put the turtle vents on before the weather turned to total sh!t
IMG_3379.jpeg
IMG_3380.jpeg
I wanted to go out there and finish up my lights project but I don’t know that I want it THAT bad lol