Nate’s longterm tiny shop build

Corban_White

I’ve seen many engineered buildings cave in this last winter (2 of which were within 3 miles of me) while 100+ year old buildings not even break a sweat. I dunno man. Maybe we just use cheap shit nowdays.
Yep. But they won't let me self-build a building on my own property (just like was done 100 years ago) without all the permits, plans, engineering, fees, etc. Not that I'm going to cave and give into their demands.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
The “forms guy” has been out here for hours making sure everything is square, where it needs to be and tying rebar. He even used extra rebar over what the city is requiring. I really like this guy. My contractor subbed him out because he didn’t want his guys to stumble their way through it. I appreciated his honesty on that and have really appreciated how professional the sub is. He’s Hispanic but speaks great English. He sees most of my questions coming and always has an answer ready for me. I’ve had very different experiences with contractors in the past so I know they’re not all like this.

Anyways, he’s starting on the forms now and I’m excited!
IMG_1679.jpeg
IMG_1678.jpegIMG_1679.jpeg

N-Smooth

It's so nice to have your own space for tools, vehicles, etc and leave the garage for actually parking cars. 😉
I mean I’m definitely taking over both spaces but yeah that’s the idea. Currently our 3 car has a dead XJ, partial buggy and the #momcar. And too many electric dirt bikes/go karts.

N-Smooth

The forms are like 97% dialed. They’re going to pour tomorrow at noon. The guy was great to work with today, asking me about preferences on door widths and just communicating well. I also saw him measuring corner to corner to make sure the forms were square and I was like hell yeah.

I do have additional complaints about the city though lol. City inspector came out about 2 hours earlier than I scheduled and the forms guy was already behind anyways. So he was like 1/4 of the way done with the forms and the city guy passed it anyways. I guess he saw that the work looked good so far and maybe determined the guy clearly knew what he was doing but I’m still bugged. He should’ve come out tomorrow before the pour to check again IMO. Stupid city…
IMG_1685.jpeg
No extra charge for the pretty sky since it’s part of the reason I love it here.

N-Smooth

It was poured today! The guy got here early this morning and worked his ass off all day by himself to get it ready and the line pump and cement truck showed up at 3:30. One of his helpers came, thank goodness because the pump guys were worthless in more ways than one. I looked out and the forms guy was seriously working the pump hose which I’ve never seen before so I wanted to ask him about that after. He said they didn’t know how to do it. I felt bad cause he’s a little Mexican dude and the pump guys were huge. Also the pump guys just pulled up and parked in my driveway like they own the place and I was irritated.
IMG_1689.jpeg
I would think they should ask at the very least and wanted to tell them to move but didn’t want to cause problems since we obviously needed them. I also figured there’s no way they’d park there if they knew their truck leaked oil.
Spoiler alert:
It leaked a shit ton. I messaged them on FB to tell them that was not a great idea to do that, knowing their truck leaked and that it bugs me. Their response will determine whether or not I leave terrible reviews all over. I’m hesitant because they’re islanders and they might beat my ass lol. It was King’s Concrete Pumping FWIW.
IMG_1693.jpeg
I seriously walked out to this right after they left and just got my pressure washer out but we all know that doesn’t really fix it. The forms guy saw me washing it and came over and was like oh no, I can’t believe they would do that and they didn’t even ask to park there. I like him more and more all the time so I really hope it all turns out nice and I can continue liking him. I’m thinking about divorcing my wife so I can re-marry and ask him to be my best man.
IMG_1694.jpeg
IMG_1695.jpeg

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I don't know.. can you prove that oil isn't from your xj????

But for realzies.. it'll come off quick. Little oil never hurt anyone.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
24x26’ (wide x deep) so itty bitty by most standards but it’s way bigger than the average 2 car these days.

Oh and 14’ max height w/ 10’ wall is the plan. 16’ door to match my main garage.

I measure a lot of garages. 19x19 or 20x20 is pretty common. 24x26 is huge by new garage standards. Maybe not shop standards.. but you'll still love it. The tall ceiling will be extra great.

My 24x32 has always felt huge. Until my brother built a 50x60, with 14' ceilings.

STAG

On my grind
I measure a lot of garages. 19x19 or 20x20 is pretty common. 24x26 is huge by new garage standards. Maybe not shop standards.. but you'll still love it. The tall ceiling will be extra great.

My 24x32 has always felt huge. Until my brother built a 50x60, with 14' ceilings.
I have a 17’x24’ right now and it’s beyond too small

N-Smooth

I don't know.. can you prove that oil isn't from your xj????

But for realzies.. it'll come off quick. Little oil never hurt anyone.
Pressure washer didn’t pull it out. I just thought it was unprofessional and I’m certain I’m not the only one.

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Same crap the concrete pump guys did when they poured my shop floor in May. I have most of the oil off the driveway. Dish soap worked for me

N-Smooth

Same crap the concrete pump guys did when they poured my shop floor in May. I have most of the oil off the driveway. Dish soap worked for me
Yeah the guy that did the footings parked in the street with the hose outlet facing the project and probably used the same amount of hose.

N-Smooth

The main contractor came out today to chat and get part of the payment from me. They think they’re going to get the flat work prepped next week and poured the following week. The wife changed the patio on me so I had to draw it again and include the footings for the future gazebo/shade thingy. It was hands down the most effort I put into anything on this lovely work day 🤣
SnipImage.jpeg
That’s a pretty big patio and I’m all about it. About 43% of our backyard will be concrete and I am also all about that. With the HOA grass all around it really doesn’t feel like too much. 😎