NAXJA IC Paris Ice Cave Run July 11-12, 2014

XJEEPER

Several people had conflicts arise, so we ended up with a small group on this run, but fun was had by all. Run was sponsored by the North American XJ Association- Intermountain Chapter

Dr Moab and family, Troy and family and Mason and I met in Hyrum, UT on Friday afternoon and headed up Blacksmith Fork to Left Hand Fork. There had been some rain showers earlier in the day, which was just enough to keep the trail dust down.

We made good time to the 4 corners area, where we planned on camping for the evening, but since our group was small, we decided to head up to the warming hut camp below Logan Peak for the night, where I had originally wanted to camp. This was a great decision.

Mason turns 16 next month and he's always happy to take the wheel, so I was a passenger for the majority of this trip. This allows me more shutter time, so its all good.

We set up camp near the warming hut and got a fire going, as there was a bit of a chill in the air. Everyone ate their dinners and as the light was fading, Mason broke out the pneumatic carrot gun to send some orange projectiles downrange. The kids had a blast!

Carrot Gun Fun

We sat around the fire and dined on Smores and then the Super Moon popped over the trees. This was an added bonus to the evening, however I later had a hard time falling asleep, as my tent was fully illuminated by the moon.

We broke camp Saturday morning and headed down Righthand Fork to meet Steve's party and JeeperG and his bro, who couldn't join us the night before.

Our group of 5 rigs traveled up Logan Cyn to the Franklin Basin Road and then headed North towards Idaho. As I had hoped, the basin was awash with color, with the wildflowers in full bloom.

Continued...........

Last edited:

XJEEPER

We proceeded on to the Cub River drainage and then headed East to the German Dugway.

We followed this route up a series of steep switchbacks (only part of the entire trip that 4wd was required) and topped out at a shaded overlook where we stopped for lunch. More carrots were sent skyward.

After lunch, it was on to the Paris Ice Cave, where we grabbed cameras, sweatshirts and flashlights to explore the inner chamber. We found a large snowdrift in the outer chamber, and the inner chamber still had giant icicles in one corner.

Cave opening to the inner chamber

With the cave exploring completed, we headed down Paris Cyn to the highway. Troy's family were spent and they peeled off and headed back to Preston, while the rest of our group headed into Garden City for a raspberry shake at the famous LaBeau's Drive-In.

We all split up after the shake break and headed our separate ways, but another great IC run with good company and old and new friends. If you weren't there, you really missed out and need to make it to the next run.

X

rustyjeep21

Great area, great pictures! You can also go from the ice cave to bloomington lake which has a decent hill "cowboys prayer". Then head to bear lake from there if you have more time to kill. Those ice caves are amazing.

Bart

Thanks for the great write up. That moon looked amazing, but I can imagine how bright the tent was. Beautiful area and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, those raspberry shakes are awesome.