nearly new 305 engine from 1980

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Looking for opinions and options on this one. I have a 305 Chevy engine that was removed from a 1980 Camero that was totaled. The engine only has around 18,000 miles on it. It has been stored in a shed for the past 25 years. What good is this engine? What can be done with it? Can it be converted to fuel injection? Can it be bored or modified to give it more power? What about different heads to give it more volume? The specs on the engine from my Google search is that it has 155 horsepower, that is not much better than my current 258 that had115 back in its prime. Feedback please.

Mr.Chevy

rusted said:
Looking for opinions and options on this one. I have a 305 Chevy engine that was removed from a 1980 Camero that was totaled. The engine only has around 18,000 miles on it. It has been stored in a shed for the past 25 years. What good is this engine? What can be done with it? Can it be converted to fuel injection? Can it be bored or modified to give it more power? What about different heads to give it more volume? The specs on the engine from my Google search is that it has 155 horsepower, that is not much better than my current 258 that had115 back in its prime. Feedback please.
I think that the 305 is a good motor. I had a buddy that beefed up his 305 in his 84 c-10 truck and it was pretty fast. I know you can get after market intakes and carbs for them and I think that the Holly FI set up works on them also. My buddy board his and had the heads done. So I think that they are good motors.

Truk

JeepFan
The febuary Off Road mag. had a good write up on stroking a ford 302. They got it up to 400 horses. I assume the same could be done on that 305. worth the $$$? I don't know. It amazes me that the 305 has such low horse power! Guess its just the short stroke.:confused:

Fat Tony

79 Toyota Truck
The 305 has the same stroke as a 350 just a smaller bore.
the 350 is 4.00 bore 3.48 stroke.
the 305 is 3.74 bore 3.48 stroke.

so I was told

Last edited: