need a custom e-brake cable

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
I have a YJ with a Ford 9" rear axle. The axle has the two cables branching out to each drum. I will be fitting, under the YJ dash, an e-brake lever from a Toyota Pickup. I need to modify the Toyota cable to link up to the Ford couplings. I'm looking for an economical solution. I'm wondering if there's a shop somewhere that specializes in this kind of stuff or if anybody out there has the skills/tools to do this for a reasonable price. Thanks

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Six States cable shop can do whatever you need, but you'll need to know exactly what you need, measurements, end types, etc.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Salt lake city is the cable shop.. they can often do them while you wait... They are just going to be able to make you cables though--

does the toyota brake thingy have 1 cable then you have to split to 2? if so you may need to make a junction box and some brackets...

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
oh, do you mean they will only be able to make a new custom cable, but can't modify the existing one? thanks

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
That really depends on how much modification you are talking.. if it is just to put on a new end they will do that.. maybe even put a new end on the sheath too.. but to tie two into one you really want to have a adapter block (easy to make with a drill press and a set of taps...

thenag

I made my own.

I had a bunch of long cables from the Bronco and the xj. I carefully cut a slice in the metal pill on the end then drilled out the cable so I had most of the metal pill. I then cut the housing and cable to what I needed. I then crimped the cut metal pill onto the the cable then I welded the slit in the pill and the end of the cable to the pill with some 6011 rod.

They haven't broken yet...

This is one of those things that I will do a write up on in a year or so if they are still holding, otherwise I will take it to six states and say "make me one of these that won't break" at least I will know for sure what length I need...

ghetto fab

Nathan

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
oh, and post up some pics of your Toyota ebrake thingy. :D I need to do something similar

Went to Pick n' Pull and snagged a Toy brake lever and cable. I think I'm going to be able to fab up some fittings, brackets, and a reduction lever and do all of this myself. I'll post some pics of the progress for some critique and possibly help out anybody stupid enough to follow my lead ;p

BTW, if you want to remove one of these cables from a Toy, your best friends are named: 10mm Deep Socket and >6" extension. I didn't have a deep socket and as a result it took me about four times as long as it should have and several pints of blood lost from my knuckles.