need a good powerstroke mechanic

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I'm looking for a good powerstroke mechanic/shop. I've got a pre-turbo exhaust leak and I don't want to deal with it.

Anybody know of a good mechanic and/or shop in the salt lake area. I was hoping to stay up around bountiful, but I may end up using some of the shops in Draper.

mswasey

Bronco Molester
Wide Open Performance in Sandy. Talk to Zane at 233-1111. They are great for repairs, and if you wnat to make your Powerstroke fly, they are doing run of the mill bolt ons and rebuilds as well as working with Ford and some aftermarket guys doing some off the hook mods! Very solid shop and right off the freeway.
http://www.wideopenperformance.net/

I'm looking for a good powerstroke mechanic/shop. I've got a pre-turbo exhaust leak and I don't want to deal with it.

Anybody know of a good mechanic and/or shop in the salt lake area. I was hoping to stay up around bountiful, but I may end up using some of the shops in Draper.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Wide Open Performance in Sandy. Talk to Zane at 233-1111. They are great for repairs, and if you wnat to make your Powerstroke fly, they are doing run of the mill bolt ons and rebuilds as well as working with Ford and some aftermarket guys doing some off the hook mods! Very solid shop and right off the freeway.
http://www.wideopenperformance.net/

I have a call in to them. Their "ford" guy was out on a drive. Maybe I'll try them again tomorrow.

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Zane called me today and quoted a good price. I'll probably be taking it in to Wide Open later this month. I'm just trying to decide if I just want to fix the exhaust leak, or put a new clutch in it too. Mine slips occasionally when towing with my power chip on.

mswasey

Bronco Molester
They put a clutch in mine, after I added some power at about 70k mi it started slipping too. They put a ceramic unit in mine and got rid of the two piece flywheel set up, it should hold up for a long time now and it hooks up very tight.

Zane called me today and quoted a good price. I'll probably be taking it in to Wide Open later this month. I'm just trying to decide if I just want to fix the exhaust leak, or put a new clutch in it too. Mine slips occasionally when towing with my power chip on.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Alright, this clutch info is good stuff, so I'm gonna do some highjacking of this thread...

In the near future, I'm gonna need a new clutch for my 6 speed '99 PSD. I have an Edge Evolution programmer which is useless sitting in the box since I can spin my clutch w/ stock power. I've been pulling around a 24' enclosed trailer which is not helping the issue either, so tell Me what you guys have done, or are planning to have done with your clutch.

I've heard that "full ceramic" hooks up great but can have alot of "chatter" unless operating it real smooth. I have also heard of a "Feramic" (sp?) which has ceramic properties, but mixed with more typical clutch material to reduce chatter. My last question has to do with the flywheel. New, upgraded flywheel is the only way to go, and comes with any HD kit, right?

discuss...

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
tons and tons of clutch reading on www.thedieselstop.com

Short version...
I am holding off on doing a clutch just yet, but when I do it will either be a LUK 350HP model or the Southbend CON O model.

Right now I have been getting quotes of about 1600-2000 parts and labor to put a new clutch in and upgrade the flywheel.

This is what I want to accomplish by a clutch change:
1. SOFTER pedal. I hate the stiff pedal. The wife won't drive it because of stiff pedal(not a bad thing though!)

2. More holding power. Mine slips a little if I downshift then get on it HARD on my 80tow setting with the trailer in tow. I doubt it will get better, likely worse.

3. No chatter.

4. Smooth hookup.

Hopefully later rather than sooner!

Last edited:

mswasey

Bronco Molester
Mine is a full ceriamic unit and it does have some chatter but not anything extreme. Hook up is great and the pedal is WAY softer. The upgraded flywheel IS the only way to go and should be in any kit.

Alright, this clutch info is good stuff, so I'm gonna do some highjacking of this thread...

In the near future, I'm gonna need a new clutch for my 6 speed '99 PSD. I have an Edge Evolution programmer which is useless sitting in the box since I can spin my clutch w/ stock power. I've been pulling around a 24' enclosed trailer which is not helping the issue either, so tell Me what you guys have done, or are planning to have done with your clutch.

I've heard that "full ceramic" hooks up great but can have alot of "chatter" unless operating it real smooth. I have also heard of a "Feramic" (sp?) which has ceramic properties, but mixed with more typical clutch material to reduce chatter. My last question has to do with the flywheel. New, upgraded flywheel is the only way to go, and comes with any HD kit, right?

discuss...

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
photo.aspx

http://www.wideopenperformance.net/photo.aspx?ID=35

You gotta love that truck. If for no other reason than the guy put a front driveline on it.