Jeep Need Advice ~ Jeep Parts, Which Type?, and where to get them?

plaidfro

I need some advice on some Jeep Parts for a 1994 YJ, 4.0L

I need to do the Upper and Lower ball joints on Both sides of the Dana 30, I believe. I have read that I want to make sure to use Moog parts. The local parts store has the upper and lowers for $130 for the one side... So I would be $260 in parts for both sides. I would probably want to replace the U-joints since I would be in there with some Spicer Joints which I havent priced out yet. Your thoughts on parts, prices, and where to get this done? A local shop is going to charge about $780, to do both sides upper and lower, to re the ball joints only (parts and labor). I may as well use that cash towards a Dana 44. I most likely need to replace the ball joints if I am going to keep the Dana 30... again, your thoughts on the parts, prices, and where to get this done?

Next issue is the Steering Box needs to be rebuilt as the output shaft is showing signs of wear and is getting loose (side to side wiggle)... But rather than rebuild the guts shouldn't I just buy a remanufactured steering box? I would have to have it ported for my hydro steer assist. Any thoughts on what type to get? or who I could get it from that won't cost and arm.

I am open to all your suggestions and comments.

Cascadia

Undecided
I would give Nate a call again. He was going to do my ball joints on my LJ but I sold it before I got around to it. He was cheaper than everywhere else. Six States is a half mile from your work and they sell all the parts you need. But again, Nate can do it and he'll get the parts cheaper than we can. Steering box wise, I think I saw one on ksl or on here that was tapped already and rebuilt. Might already be sold though.

plaidfro

I thought you're selling your jeep?

It's not sold till its sold :)... besides after Ball Joints and a new Steering Box it will almost be like brand new. I think I would have to drop the price into the $6500's range to start getting bites on it. If I did sell it I would have to buy a truck to haul trailers and dirt bikes.

I would give Nate a call again. He was going to do my ball joints on my LJ but I sold it before I got around to it. He was cheaper than everywhere else. Six States is a half mile from your work and they sell all the parts you need. But again, Nate can do it and he'll get the parts cheaper than we can. Steering box wise, I think I saw one on ksl or on here that was tapped already and rebuilt. Might already be sold though.

Nate is a good man... I will try to get a hold of him about doing the work. I saw the KSL ported steering box... I will pass on it, thanks for the heads up though. Its newly ported but not rebuilt.

UPDATE: Nate is on board... and pricing is much better. He says he checked the ball joints and they were good a month ago, so I will work on finding a steering box first and when down there he can check the ball joints again.

Last edited:

RockChucker

i just went through this debate about ball joints in my TJ. i'm gearing up for a 60 swap, but needed it streetable til then. and honestly, i installed my sweet awesome high quality Duralast ball joints in my driveway. Yeah they were cheap. i think i was just over or just under $100 for all 4. Here is my reasoning behind these, they were cheap, and they have a lifetime warranty. and my dad has had to do ball joints in his TJ 3 times in 5 years. and he got the 'nice' moog ones every time.

install of balljoints is cake too. autozone has a rent a tool, you pay like $100 for it, but you get all your money back when you are done. it really wasn't bad like i was expecting. i was done with all 4 in about 2 hours. and i saved about $300 or $400 in labor.

you have a jeep, work on it! haha i didn't know much at all when i got mine, but you don't learn until you do something.

plaidfro

I will be getting the Spicer Ball Joints if the current ones really are shot. The Spicer one are about half the price of the Moog.

I have my mechanical limitations... some projects I dont want to get too far into if I have no experience with it only to find out I should have enlisted more skilled hands. I am a weak version of a shade tree mechanic.

plaidfro

Six states offers premium parts at less than Autozone Chinacrap prices, I always call them first.

And replacing ball joints is cake.

It's looking like I am going to have to find an less expensive reman Steering Box for the YJ rather than search classifieds for a used one. I will see if SixStates has one.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It's looking like I am going to have to find an less expensive reman Steering Box for the YJ rather than search classifieds for a used one. I will see if SixStates has one.

I think Napa sells reman'd steering boxes at decent prices if Six States doesn't, I think I recall someone buying a Wagoneer box from them.

plaidfro

I think Napa sells reman'd steering boxes at decent prices if Six States doesn't, I think I recall someone buying a Wagoneer box from them.

Yeah, I would have gotten it though Napa... listed at $309 for a reman steering gear box. Seems kinda pricey especially when I still have to get it ported for Hydro Steer Assist.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Yeah, I would have gotten it though Napa... listed at $309 for a reman steering gear box. Seems kinda pricey especially when I still have to get it ported for Hydro Steer Assist.

But if it lasts 5 years it comes out to $5.15 a month, so looking at the long-term investment it is pretty cheap.

Bart

I just got a reman box for my Dodge truck from Napa. I heard horror stories about boxes from other stores.
My personal opinion on parts like ball joints, if you're going to go through all the installation effort to put them in, why not put in a quality part that will last.

Addiction

Life is Good!!
Had a TJ that I had some work done by the guys at Six States (U-Joints, Ball Joints, and Driveline work). They do a great job and are very reasonably priced and if you have problems with the work, just take it back and they make it right.