Need Advise on Sami with sidekick axle/s

xjc

I give up :(
Hello all, been gone for quite a while but then I bought a largely well-buildt hard top zuk and now I'm back.

Question: with a sidekick rear axle and what I believe is a sidekick third member in the front, I am very happy about the grearing but the fact that the previous owner welded the spiders doesn't realy thrill me.

I am on a tight budget of coarse but what are your recommendations after I get the welded spider and side gears out? EZ, lockrite, ox, or has anything grand and new hit the market in the last year?

Also, while trying to get third member out I found that the axle doesn't come easily. Any suggestions on how to break that loose?

PS if anyone has a set of side and spider gears from a samurai I need a set for the fron't diff

Thanks

78mitsu

I'd just leave it be. the Sidekick center chunks have 6 spider gears, so welding them - assuming it's right, you end up with tons of weld surface. They will be geared @ either 5.13(m) or 5.88(a). They do tend to break shafts when welded though. When we welded the Geo/s rearend (worn spiders welding was cheaper then replacing we had to use a slide hammer to remove the axles. then cut the bearings off with a torch and re-install, not a huge deal, but they're a tight fit. Also, when you weld the center, you end up welding to the case so you'll need to find a complete carrier, not just spider gears.

xjc

:sick: :) I guess I don't need to buy a locker then, sounds like I should drive it till it breaks and worry about it then. Spensurai told me about the same thing, Ill put it back together and call it good.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
:sick: :) I guess I don't need to buy a locker then, sounds like I should drive it till it breaks and worry about it then. Spensurai told me about the same thing, Ill put it back together and call it good.

Besides your choice on sidekick axle lockers is pretty limited if I remember to mostly soft lockers. Run it and if you get seroius and break it, upgrade to something with more aftermarket support

78mitsu

they are a pretty good axle, they're about the size of a ford 7.5" if they had a little larger axles they'de be sweet. Lincoln locking makes it a little sqirelly in the mud/snow but they're goin' buggers.

xjc

Ok, so it may be best for me to start thinking about yota axles or something else in the long term. For those who have put 44's or yotas under their zuk, that's a huge project and like a grand or two in misc accesories isn't it?

zukgod1

Senior crawler
The kick axles will hold up fine depending on what kind of driver you are.

I ran a kick rear in my zuk and ran 36" Swamper sx's for a long time, when I removed it for a full floater (Spidertrax) the drivers side had a slight twist at the splines. This was after several trips to Moab and various other locations in Oregon.

There are several lockers available besides the "soft lockers" ARB, Detroit, Lockrite etc etc.

Drive it till it brakes if ya want or find another carrier (open) and get a Lockrite or equivalent and drive the crap out of it.

You can get upgraded axles from Calmini also to lessen the possibility of snapping a axle.
Good luck and look forward to running into you on the trail.

PS, I may have a almost complete kick carrier you can have for FREE if I can find it.
You'll have to drop me a pm this weekend I doubt I'll ever find this thread again.

dan

lilsamiman

Stupid TV, be more funny!
yeah what size tires are you running. I think if one is not a wild driver, alxes shoulnt start breaking until 33's or so. Course it depends on gearing too.

xjc

yeah what size tires are you running. I think if one is not a wild driver, alxes shoulnt start breaking until 33's or so. Course it depends on gearing too.

I am running 33 BFG muds. They are a little more than I would like but it's extremely tall so 31's might look funny and ya know that's rules it out completely:rolleyes:

I wouldn't have any concerns if I had 31's but 33 muds are big and pretty grippy in the right situation. I'm a pretty light footed driver but with the 5.?? diffs and 4.? Tcase (included when I bought it) it is pretty low. I deffinately have the gearing to break stuff. It still has the 1.3 with no performance stuff that I'm aware of.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I am running 33 BFG muds. They are a little more than I would like but it's extremely tall so 31's might look funny and ya know that's rules it out completely:rolleyes:

I wouldn't have any concerns if I had 31's but 33 muds are big and pretty grippy in the right situation. I'm a pretty light footed driver but with the 5.?? diffs and 4.? Tcase (included when I bought it) it is pretty low. I deffinately have the gearing to break stuff. It still has the 1.3 with no performance stuff that I'm aware of.

I broke my first rear shaft this last summer w/36's and dana 44's and stock engine:(