Need Help... esp Grand junction, Moab, Price area guys

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Hi all! I wouldn't normally do this, but I am in a bit of a pickle. After working hard all summer we finally get to take some R&R- head down to Moab for some fun!:)

Its been a great time so far, but today we were heading back from town in our truck and the rear axle started making a noise and smoking. I had just serviced the rear axle a week before we left, so I am not sure why it decided to go now.

Milked it the 1/2 mile left to camp and tore into it. The front pinion bearing was toast, but worse the pinion had actually bent from the intense heat.

So we have a few days before we have to be home. I am wondering if anyone in Grand junction, Moab, or Price might know somebody that would have a 1993-98 Ford 10.25 (Sterling) rear axle? The truck is a '94 F-250 w/460. It currently has 4.10 L/S, but I really won't be choosy.

I would just get it towed, but I'm not sure how to get my 5th wheel and the wife's Willys home.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Call Modern Auto in Fruita, CO tomorrow -

Modern Auto & Truck Salvage
(970) 858-3656

If they have one (and they probably will), I can pick it up after work tomorrow and run it down to Moab in my trailer and help you swap it in. It will probably be dark by the time I can get there. Do you have or need tools?

Modern Auto only takes cash or check, but if you set it up and ask them to have the axle ready to go, I will cover the money and you can pay me back.

If they don't have one, call Trade Center in GJ at 970-243-1579 or Toll Free: 800-652-6686

Team1k

Dang if only a 99 worked there is one by my house for sale and im even coming down there tomorrow :(

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Wow. Thanks guys!!

I think we are in fairly good shape toolwise. I will call Modern first thing in the morning. Trade Center shows a couple on their website.

I really really really appreciate this guys!! BTW- I can be reached at 801- Five Five Fore - Sevin 6 Five Ate.

Will make those calls at 8AM.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you find anybody that has one in Price I can pick it up Thursday night and get it to you Friday morning.

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Well, miracles can happen- the local wrecking yard in Moab says that they have a Sterling from a '93. He doesn't know the gear ratio, but that is not a deal breaker if it will get our rigs home.
The BIG downside is that he said it came from the local salt mine so it is extremely rusty. We are going to head over there now to take a look at it. Hopefully he can cut the u-bolts for us if its useable at all.

Thanks Team1K, Herzog, and Maverick for your gracious offers!

Now I better go turn some wrenches! :)

OCNORB

Supporting Member
After an epic battle we managed to get the pinion that had fused to the inner section of the bearing off. Not an easy task at home...seemed impossible at times out in the desert.

20121018_142412.jpg

Couldn't have done it without my wife/pit crew combo:

20121018_142444.jpg

Just took it for a test drive. Stayed under 45 and went about 1 mile, stopped and no leaks, no noises, seemed good. Went back to camp and as we pulled up the pinion seal let go.:(

I may just get it into town and let someone else fix it at this point.

Big cheers to all that have offered to help. I really did not know how this was going to work out and never expected such a response. RME rocks!!:cool:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Sound like you're getting there! Suck about the pinion seal, but what can you do? Long as you get back home without any trouble!

OCNORB

Supporting Member
Sorry we didn't manage to see you Marc. We had another trail rescue mission that kept us out until after midnight.
Truck seems ok. I plan to stop frequently to check the diff level. Should get us home.