Need help on 92 Cummins

Bud

'98 ZJ
I'm thinking of buying a 92 Cummins 3/4 ton 4x4. Is there anything I should look out for on these? It has the 60 up front, are these 35-spline inners axle shaft in this year? Thanks

53 willys

Bad speller
Bud said:
I'm thinking of buying a 92 Cummins 3/4 ton 4x4. Is there anything I should look out for on these?

Nope, that sounds like a sweet truck. 12 valves dont have many problems, the old 89-93 trucks ride like a dump truck, but can take a hugh load:rofl:

sinac

I'd suggest going with a 94-99.5 12 valve. Only downfall is on 93 and olders there is a knob to tweak your fuel pump. But after you put some decent injectors and have your fuel pump tweaked you'll have more power than you will know what to do with.
And they will dump a TON of coal...

Meat_

Banned
sinac said:
I'd suggest going with a 94-99.5 12 valve. Only downfall is on 93 and olders there is a knob to tweak your fuel pump. But after you put some decent injectors and have your fuel pump tweaked you'll have more power than you will know what to do with.
And they will dump a TON of coal...
98.5 was the last of the 12v

Bud

'98 ZJ
The front axle in this truck is a 60, so it is probably a 35-spline? I don't have much experience on this year of Dodge's...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I passed up a 93' once (one of my bigger mistakes in life) anyway I talked to a few Dodge guys I know and they told me to avoid those trucks with the Dana 61 and 70U axle combo. They said about 1 in 10 trucks those years had them, and are easily mistaken for the typical Dana 60 and 70 combos. I don't know much about it, but it might be worth looking into. I personally don't see how you could go wrong either way.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I retract my previous statement. I meant to say for every 10,000 dana 60's there is one dana 61 not 1 in 10. MMaaannnn I was way off! It was irritating me pretty bad so I did some research and found the only problem with the Dana 61 is that you cannot run gears lower than the standard 3.07 without a lot of headaches. Also the 70U cannot be fitted with anything other than 3.07's period. What this has to do with anything I don't know, I mean its 1 in 10,000!

Bud

'98 ZJ
The 61s require a taller deck height on the ring gear carrier. It has to do with the location of the pinion. I was building one for a buggy once and hadn't noticed it was a 61 until I loaded the carrier in. The ring gear teeth wouldn't touch the pinion teeth even if I shimmed it all the way over! That's when I noticed the 61 stamp on the back of the center housing. That was on a rear axle though, and I haven't seen a 61 front yet, but I don't doubt that they could exist. This axle in my truck (yep, bought it for $4500 :) ) is stamped with a 60 thankfully.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Its funny how there are rare things like dana 61 out there. It seems like almost every manufacturer does "unique" stuff like that. Anyway $4500 can't beat that.