need help with a 20r

berrett

i have an '80 toyota truck with a 20r that i can't get running right. i got it from a friend that though the motor was bad and parked it for about 5 years. it has 150 psi compression in each cylinder. there was oil all in the air cleaner and i found the pcv valve was bad. i replaced the pcv and front crank seal. i thought it might not be getting enough fuel so i put a new pump in but it still doesn't fill the fuel filter up at all (maybe about 1/8" fuel in the filter when running. when you fire it up it will run on its own for about 5 or 10 mins. during that time i have adjusted the idle and mixture (it was way messed up). i can get it to idle around 900 rpm but it is kinda rough and stumbles a little (engine sounds great when reved up). after a couple mins it just slowly dies and won't run after that. you can get it to start and run if you keep your foot on the gas, but it won't idle on its own when warm. when it was doing this yesterday i needed to move it (after it was warm and needed my foot on the gas) but when put under load the motor didn't sounded like crap and it had absolutly no power (engine would kidna sputter when under load and i could barley move it even with the throttle pegged). i tried spraying starting fluid around the carb and it didn't do anything so i don't think there is a vacuum leak there. any ideas? i need to get this thing running.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Sound like it's entirely your carb. You'll be lucky to have a steady idle at 900 RPM even thought that's what is recomended. 900 is great for sea level with this engine, but at this altitude you'll be at about 1000 before it will smoothen out - this is normal.

I'd start here: Get a timing light, and set the distributer to 10-12 degrees advanced and 1000 RPM (yes it sounds like alot, but try it). Then comes the fuel mixture and depending on year (I'd probably check) you should be backed out about 1 3/4 turns from all the way in. This should really smoothen things out. Double check vacuum leaks as well as float level. The float level is super easy to check because there is a sight glass on the front of the bowl - make sure the fuel level is in the middle of the window. Also there is a good chance that you have a water choke... they suck and often don't work so make sure the butterflies are not sticking that happens A LOT.

I hope this helps, and good luck :)

Andrew