Need help with coil overs

LT.

If you know some of the information then you should check out FOA's site for figuring out your spring rates. If not, then let us know what they are going on and angles and most of us can at least get you in the ball park. Also, there are a few companies that will exchange the coils provided that they are not damaged just in case you get the spring rates wrong.

LT.

sunshine

No Whiners!
If you know some of the information then you should check out FOA's site for figuring out your spring rates. If not, then let us know what they are going on and angles and most of us can at least get you in the ball park. Also, there are a few companies that will exchange the coils provided that they are not damaged just in case you get the spring rates wrong.

LT.

Thanks, they are on my buggy, I have Fox air shocks that im am swapping out to coil overs. It has a 347 Stroker in it and the rear I am swapping out the 5 Gal fuel cell to 12 gal. And there is a warn 2500 Winch and radiator in back, not sure of the overall weight but could weigh it. Been looking for some scales to get a unsprung weight but haven't found one that will go up that high.

Too Far

parts is parts
The FOA calculator is easy to find and use. Just be sure to be accurate on all the info that it asks for. If you are set up for more droop than bump travel you may need to go tripple rate to get it right.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
You can also find the weight by using a coil that has a known rate and squishing it with the buggy and seeing how much it compresses.
When you are ready I can get you hooked up on some FOAs.

sunshine

No Whiners!
You can also find the weight by using a coil that has a known rate and squishing it with the buggy and seeing how much it compresses.
When you are ready I can get you hooked up on some FOAs.

Thanks, I already have shocks, just need to get springs. If I have the total weight of the car, can you subtract the axles weight?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I'm getting ready to do this. In fact I'll be weighing my corners this weekend.

From what I understand, to get best results you want to get the sprung weight of each corner.

More info from the coilover veterans would be awesome.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Gonna need some more info to help you.

Front weight?
Rear weight?
Total weight?
Coilover mounts location(on axle, on links) and rough angle of shocks at ride height?
stroke of coilover?
use of rig?(go-fast will generally require more spring than a dedicated crawler.)

LT.

I had to re-learn some on shock tuning. For crawling you will usually have about 4 to 6 inches of shaft exposed. This will depend on how long of travel you have on your shocks. Usually a 40% of compression and 60% extention. On a rig that will see high speeds you will want closer to a 50% ratio sometimes even more.

When I did my home work on this I got a set of racer scales and weighed all four corners. Then I had to subtract the weight of the wheels, tires, axles, half the weight of the links, and same for the shocks.

LT.

Too Far

parts is parts
LT brings up some good points. With one ton axles you will have 700-800 pounds per axle that is "unsprung weight" and that needs to be taken off of the total axle weight to get "sprung weight". The angle of the shock, and position of shock mount also need to be taken into account.

http://www.f-o-a.com/calculator.html

If you look at this calculator it asks for all of this info, and it helps get you close, but you still will need to do some testing. Two rigs with the same travel, weight, shocks will behave differently based on things like link geometry and what not.
On a dual purpose rig I would go 50/50 bump/droop and a minumum. Spring rates seem to work out better if you go with more bump, like 60/40 bump/droop.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Use the method Mesha mentions above. Get 4 coils of any known rate. Put them on and measure how mich they squish. Just measuring unsprung weight won't work unless your coil overs are mounted perfectly vertically.

Basically it's nearly impossible to calculate perfectly and get it right the first time. Just take a guess and buy some coils, then swap them based on the results. Usually people with dual rate coils end up buying one more spring per corner. Start with the cheapest coils you can find that are the right diameter and length. 150/300, 125/250 are probably decent starting points for most. Coil tuning is an art, not a science, that's why you can't do it with a calculator.