Need inexpensive mechanic

yoda

Just bought an 02 crf 450 that needs fork seals. Wondering if anybody knows of an inexpensive motorcycle mechanic, or someone who's got experience with these to either help me out or that I could pay to replace them. I'm in Lehi, so the closer the better. Thanks!

rholbrook

I can certainly help you but I am possibly too far north for you. I have all the tools for the job as well. Let me know, I have a heated work area too.

B2-Bomber

honda red level certifed, suzuki gold level certified here

i also have a buddy who has 15 more years in industry experience than me, who can do them too. He does more side-work than i do.

littlyota

I can certainly help you but I am possibly too far north for you. I have all the tools for the job as well. Let me know, I have a heated work area too.

honda red level certifed, suzuki gold level certified here

i also have a buddy who has 15 more years in industry experience than me, who can do them too. He does more side-work than i do.

Do you guys also work on Triumph's? I need front seals as well.

B2-Bomber

i just got into a new place, and i am pretty busy.

call ron my friend @8O1-352-99OI

He works service at The Edge until 6:30, that is his home number, give him a call after 7:00, if he doesn't answer leave your name and # in your message (he said his magic jack's caller ID is a joke)

yoda

I will give Ron a call and see how busy he is. If I need to I could come up to kaysville rholbrook. Is this something we could do in an evening? Thanks for the input so far guys!

yoda

That's the plan. I'm hoping to spend a lot of time riding this year so I'll always be up for a trip! Been out of the game for a couple years but I'm stoked to have a bike again. I will be going out quite a bit with pelygroso on here so let us know when the next trip is and we'll be there!

Caleb

I did them on my last CRF450X, not a big deal. IMO, the best use of your time/money is buy the tools and follow the videos on RMATV's site (they take you through step by step...infact go watch them, you'll see it's quite easy. Make sure to watch the ones for the dual chamber forks). Plan on it taking an hour or two total for both sides. I think I could probably get through them only a little quicker now, but I'm also more confident knowing what's inside my forks now.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
^^ this. It is really easy and I always feel better knowing how to fix my own stuff. Plus Caleb can get you screaming deals on the tusk tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rholbrook

Let me know. They really aren't difficult. I have never done a triumph but you will need to be able to drive the seals in correctly so you need to know the size of the fork tubes

yoda

Caleb, I would like to know how to do it myself, and I'm pretty mechanically inclined, so I'll probably take your advice. Do you get the seals for a good price? I would be up for some experienced accompaniment if you're bored one night soon. Let me know about the seals and I think I'll tackle it. Thanks guys!

B2-Bomber

YOUTUBE has a million vids on how to do it.

it really isn't hard

Honda sells the seals in a pack of 1 seal, and 1 dust wiper, and they are usually pretty cheap.
almost everything Tusk private-labels is crap (sorry caleb) fork seals need to be name brand

also check your bushings/sliders to make sure that they aren't worn, and caused the fork leg to wallow and take out the seal. if they are worn, just replace them to prevent issues.

Last edited:

Caleb

I can get a few bucks off the Tusk seals, but personally I would suggest using the OEM Honda seals and wipers. I don't get anything off OEM parts but can generally get them.

rholbrook

You will need a seal driver and some sort of device to make sure your oil level is correct. Caleb can get this stuff if you want to have it. I bought my stuff from Caleb. Your welcome to use mine but you have to come here to use it. For FREE of course. Well, maybe a diet coke.

yoda

rholbrook. I think I'll take you up on that offer. I'll get the seals from Honda I guess? And I'll need fork oil? What else shall I bring other than some diet coke? When should we commence operation fork seal? Thanks for your help! And should I just bring the forks or the whole bike?