Need J-arm help asap

Hey all my rig is broke down on a trail right now with a broken j arm, i plan on finding one tomorrow (any one in cache valley have one?) and ride dirtbike to where my 4runner is. What tools should i take and what should i expect as far as replacing it? ?

Thanks

zukking01

You will need to pull the cotter pin out of the tie rod end.
Use a pickle fork to remove the tie rod end.
Remove the nuts on the 4 studs.
Soak with wd40 and BEAT with a hammer on the side of the broken arm.
After beating on arm the tapered cone washers will come loose for you to remove.
Pull arm off and leave metal shims.

Put NEW arm on and reverse process without beating NEW arm with hammer.

ok sweet thanks a lot zuk, were is the best place to go about finding the j arm? i called autozone and they didnt even know what a j arm is. Any one in cache valley have a welder hooked up to their rig? if some one wanted to go help me weld that up if i cant find a new one i wouldnt hesitate to pay for gas and dinner. I just hate the though f my runner sitting up there by its self.

zukking01

You CANT weld a j arm for crap. It is probably cast but might be forged. Either way it cant affectivly or safely be welded.

I have a few j arms in my garage with the steering links attached for a screaming deal but they are in Kearns area and that is a far trip for a j arm.

LMK if you get desperate.

Scott

Well im glad i asked before i tried ha, but thanks Scott, ill keep combing ksl for something in my area, im weary about leaving it up there for longer than a day or so. Would it be a easier swap to change out the whole linkage?

zukking01

So so.

Getting the arm off the knuckle is the hardest part to do.
Replacing the J arm would be easier than the whole steering in my opinion.
DO NOT say where the vehicle is to anyone. It would suck for parts to go missing.