Need rig advice

StrobeNGH

no user title
It's been a few years since I've been active on here, or on trails for that matter.
2 kids is my excuse. My Scout (71 800b) is the casualty (anyone want one? Love it, but not the best for families).

Things are starting to calm down and I'm itching to get back out on the trails.

I want to buy a weekend trail rig/part time (bad weather) daily driver for under $10k. It would be wonderful if what I buy doesn't require that much in annual upkeep.
I've looked into the following, but am not married to anything in particular:
1996-98 Lexus Lx450
1995-98 landcruiser
1993-98 Discovery
2002-2006 Explorer
2000-2006 Tahoe
1997-2001 Cherokee

Thanks

Max Power

Bryce
If upkeep is a factor I would probably cross the Discover and Cherokee off the list. I think for overall reliability the Cruiser would be the way to go. Keep in mind that for under $10K you will be looking at some high mileage vehicles so you will have to deal with upkeep either way.

Cherokees have bad upkeep? Not my experience.

$10,000 total budget, or just for the rig?

What vehicles have you driven and liked/disliked? How much room do you need? How difficult will it be to get to the camping areas you like? How narrow are the trails? I love the fullsize rigs for room/power, but HATE rocky-mountain pinstriping, so I'd be looking at the Lexus/cruiser or cherokee. If you don't care about the paint as much or the trails are moderate, do the Tahoe, just make sure you get the G80 rear locker and learn how to engage it at will. You'll be starting out with more power and bigger tires than any of the other rigs on your list.

The explorer wouldn't be my first choice, but if I had one I'd stick a lockrite in the back and wheel it.

"Best" on the list? Probably the cruiser.

"best bang for the buck" Probably the cherokee or tahoe.

My $0.02

Loving how my '90 blazer turned out for $3300, I'd probably do that. But it wasn't on your list. Experienced it's awesomeness again tonight, chained up 35's bustin' through some deep snow.

StrobeNGH

no user title
My primary goal is to have something that is capable and reliable (not a money pit of repairs).

I've driven in Explorers and Tahoes. Didn't mind either.
I drove an '85 Cherokee in high school. Hated it because of the lethargic (very generous word) 2.8 engine in it that broke down every weekend. Really liked it when it ran.
Never been in a Discovery, and only seen the FJ80's from afar when they were new and all the rich kids were driving them.
I used to drive a 1993 blazer (4-door). It was okay, but it started having engine problems before 100k miles, so I'm hesitant.

Wheeling will be nothing too extreme. A bit tight at times, but RM Pinstriping is something I grew up with and am not concerned about, especially on a sub $10k car. Most use will be going down dirt roads (and up the occasional trail), and commuting to work when I feel like burning the gas (Sandy-SLC).

The fj80 is on my list b/c I keep hearing good things about its capability and reliability.
The discovery is on there because I want to feel like a world-explorer and throw money at repairs (are they that bad? The years I listed were purportedly the good years, but is "good years" relative?)
The Explorer is there because I've always had great luck with my fords
Tahoe is there because my parents and brothers have always had great luck with their chevy trucks (after the 80's suburbans, which seemed to always blow transmissions)
And the cherokee is there because of the 4.0 liter engine and reliability my friends who own them tell me about.

I'm open to other suggestions/ideas. My ultimate goal is to have a commuter for me, family car for wife (mini-van? words I never thought I'd say), an a weekend wheeler.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Based on that list, I'd lean towards the Land Cruiser. They are built well and strong, very capable even in stock form and the perfect size... not too big, not too small. They do suffer from poor mileage, but most vehicles on that list aren't much better. High miles on Cruisers have been mentioned, average is going to be around 200k miles... I wouldn't let it scare me away. I've owned 2 80 Series and liked them both.

I would buy the latest model you can, the 80 Series ended in '97. From '98+ they are 100 Series and even one of those would be worth considering. If you look hard, you can find them under $10k, they are IFS in the front verses the solid axle 80, but they have a V8 which bets better mileage than the straight 6 and have even more refined styling.

Max Power

Bryce
I am basing that on the experience a family member has had with his XJ. I'm not a Jeep hater but there is always something wrong with his vehicle.

Bart

My son is looking for an 800. Please pm the details. For the 3 XJs I've owned, I thought they were some of the most reliable, best bang for the buck, I've ever owned. I like the 80 series, but am amazed at the price they demand for high mileage rigs. Then again, people are willing to pay that price so there must be quality there.

Last edited:

StrobeNGH

no user title
Okay, so the 2003-2005 4runner has made my list of vehicles in consideration.
Don't know how I missed the v-8. Thanks Greg.

sixstringsteve

the 3.4L 4runners aren't rockets, but they're far better than the old 3.0s.

I think an XJ fits the bill nicesly and leaves extra cash for gas. It sounds like just about any stock 4x4 would be capable enough for what you're looking to do.

spencevans

Overlander
The LX450/Landcruiser is always a great choice. I have owned a couple of LX450's and enjoyed them both. Are they perfect? No, but they are a great rig. Personally I prefer the fullsize Mitsubishi Montero to the Landcruiser because it gets better mileage, has more legroom and headroom in every row. Because the fullsize Montero has a rear locker, it is a great offroader. Typically IFS rigs like the MOntero are plagued with front end failures, but the Montero is well built and capable of running 35's on the IFS with out issues. If it were me and I had your budget both of these rigs would make you more than happy. Like I said I prefer the Montero but the LX450 is not a bad option. I would steer away from the Tahoe. I have a 2005 Duramax and it is in great shape, but they just feel cheap. The whole interior is a piece of plastic. Its a cheap POS, but it runs and pulls heavy loads.

go with a 91-98 cherokee, u may have to take a coupple trips to an auto parts store but all u need for repairs on a cherokee is a basic mechanic tool set. It may have an attitude sometimes, but it will always get you home

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Okay, so the 2003-2005 4runner has made my list of vehicles in consideration.
Don't know how I missed the v-8. Thanks Greg.

You bet! Very worthy option, IMO. The 4Runner isn't as flashy as a Land Cruiser and won't be quite as capable, but they ride better, have way more power and get respectable mileage. I think they're very unassuming and surprising, like a mini-100 Series Land Cruiser. I would say our V8 4Runner averages 15-17 MPG. The ATRAC traction control is impressive, it's no locker but it will keep you moving when you lift a tire.

Our 4Runner has been PERFECTLY reliable, no crazy problems, not a single issue... it's due for a timing belt, but we've put over 60k miles on it (bought it with 45K) and it has been flawless.

Ours does see a decent amount of time offroad and for most of the usual 4x4-type trails, it works VERY well. Our '03 has been all over the San Juan mountains, including Black Bear Pass, Imogene, the Alpine Loop, etc. Last weekend we took it out into the Utah desert by Hanksville, tried to get to Canyonlands NP and it was perfect for that kind of trip.... lots of freeway, plenty of bombing down dirt roads and a little bit of technical wheelin. I added an Old Man Emu lift from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters, as I think it really makes the vehicle capable... stock they look like lowriders!

860855_10151329280222746_577953961_o.jpg

P7071024-XL.jpg

It might be hard to find and 03+ 4 Runner with a V8 for under $10K. I don't think any 4WD Toyota ever depreciates below $5K no matter what.

It's not that hard... ;) - http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/345582?ad_cid=2

There is another one on KSL for $8,100 but no pics... http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/329359?ad_cid=1