Need some advice on failed skid test inspection for brakes

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
I took my 2000 4runner into a safety inspection place that I've used for the last several years because they seem to be better than other places that are closer. Unfortunately this time, they failed me on rear brakes, saying that the driver side is hardly working. I took it to my mechanic who checked things over, and cleaned things up, testing the brakes and making some minor adjustments. He said they looked like they were working properly. So then I took it back to the inspection place and again, it failed. I called the mechanic back and he said that they hate those skid tests because they are unreliable and they usually take their own cars to a guy who does the old way of checking the brakes--pull the wheel and make sure things work. Anyway they said to bring it back in and they'd check things out to see if they missed anything. So, now my vehicle's in the shop for another day with brakes that probably are fine, and probably another failed test in the immediate future. Any suggestions?

STAG

On my grind
Tell the tester don't be a wuss and smash that brake pedal to the floor when he's testing! Sorry I have no technical over-the-net advice.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Does the runner have an adjustment on the brake like all my ford trucks? I would imagine they do.. and I simple crank the adjuster screw up a bit and you have brakes again.

Trate D

If you ask them to check the brakes visually (with tire/drum off).... They can't fail you if the brakes are intact and have the minimum thickness which I think these days is 1/32 on rear shoes.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Same thing happened to me once upon a time. However I didn't find out their brake skid plate machine was broken that day until I heard my F350 doing mach 90 across the parking lot and watching helplessly as a 18 year old kid locked up the brakes on my brand new Michelins and skidded to a halt--tire smoke and all :ugh: I guess the brakes worked, but it still failed because it was out of washer fluid.

My advice it to take it somewhere else and be done with it. Hopefully someone here can recommend a decent shop that won't jerk you around on things they know nothing about. Good luck.

Andrew

Coco

Wait 30 days, and go somewhere that will look at the brakes not brake plate test. IMO I think that the brake plate test is a big waste of time.

Last edited:

thenag

IMO I think that the brake plate test is a big waste of time.

Same thing happened to me once upon a time. However I didn't find out their brake skid plate machine was broken that day until I heard my F350 doing mach 90 across the parking lot and watching helplessly as a 18 year old kid locked up the brakes on my brand new Michelins and skidded to a halt--tire smoke and all :ugh: I guess the brakes worked,
Andrew

That is the best/worst part watching a 20 year old who has never driven your vehicle haul ass into straight into a bay...

I don't care what vehicle it is I don't want to haul ass into a bay in your vehicle...

nathan
99 xj, probably wouldn't pass a skid test but stops great...

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
had the same problem on my xj, the guy testing it got a bit of a run, put it in neutral rolled up on and hit the brakes, doing it this way passed when it wouldnt pass trying it in drive, maybe get them to try it at the place you took it....

Toad

Once a vehicle is failed on a brake plate it has to be passed on a brake plate. Well I think that is right. I know that they say that but I think we did one last week and it went through.

Better option know a guy.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
If they ever did the skid test at an inspection place to my vehicle I'd go somewhere else. The place I go in AF just looks at the brakes. He is awesome and honest. Hard to find and harder to beat these days. Pm me if you want the name of my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omgbecki

When my jeep didn't after I just put new pads on all four and two new calipers on the rear it didn't pass. The test said my front was gripping really hard but hardly nothing on the rear even though I could almost lock up my 33's. Thinking that it may have been the valve I took it to the dealer and told them what happened and they said that those skid tests have failed brand new cars. They just recommend not taking it to a place that does it. Honestly I would just go somewhere else.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
My understanding is that if you request a visual inspection rather than a skid test, they are obligated to do it. I've done that every time I've gotten a vehicle inspection in the past five years for so.

Coco

Once a vehicle is failed on a brake plate it has to be passed on a brake plate. Well I think that is right. I know that they say that but I think we did one last week and it went through.

Better option know a guy.

If you go to re-test it yes, if you wait 30 days for the safety inspection to expire and go somewhere that looks at the brakes, you can pass without having to brake plate test. You will have to pay full price on the inspection again, but it will be done by looking at the brakes, and no problems.

Corban_White

SECTION 6 - BRAKES​
A. PROCEDURE FOR PLATE BRAKE TESTERS​
1. Station owner/operators are​
not required to use a computerized braketesting device as a mandatory piece of inspection equipment; however,when used in the Safety Inspection Program stations/inspectors are
required​
to:a. Follow equipment manufacturer procedures for testing.b. Be certified by the equipment manufacturer and/or an authorizedagent of the Utah Highway Patrol Safety Inspection Section.Inspector certifications must be renewed every three years.c. Display in a prominent location their inspector certification card forthe equipment being used.d. Display in a prominent location the computerized brake testingequipment certification. The manufacturer must certify equipmentyearly.e. Pull two wheels upon the failure of the plate brake test to checkbrake components. Vehicles that have adequate pad and or shoethickness must still be rejected until repairs are made.f. Do a visual two-wheel inspection of brake components whenrequested by a customer.g. Display the following sign in a conspicuous location. The sign mustbe 14" X 24." Lettering will be one inch in vertical height and no lessthan one quarter of an inch in width and display the followingstatement:
(Station Name Station and Number)only uses a computerized Plate Brake Tester to inspect thebraking system efficiency of a vehicle during a safetyinspection. This test does not measure brake liningthickness or the condition of the drum / rotor.However, at the customer’s request, we will pull twowheels for a visual check of the braking system (per UtahSafety Inspection requirements).​
h. If failed on a plate brake tester, the vehicle​
must pass safetyinspection on plate brake tester.
PLT Safety Inspection Manual, Effective January 1, 2011 34​
BRAKES - Continued​
B. PROCEDURE FOR VISUAL INSPECTION
1. When a visual inspection is performed,
it is required that at least onefront and one rear wheel be removed for a brake inspection on allvehicles less than 10,000 lbs. GVWR. Always inspect brake drum, linings,pads, discs, calipers and the condition of all mechanical components.2. Vehicles over 10,000 lbs. GVWR are not required to have wheels pulled ifthe vehicle is equipped with inspection ports/slots (adjustment slots arenot adequate for inspecting brakes) or if the vehicle has open brakedrums.
NOTE: Visual Inspection through the wheel openings is not an approvedinspection procedure for vehicles less than 10,000 lbs GVWR and
does not meet the safety inspection requirements.

From here: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/safetyinspections/docs/2011-2012 SI PLT Manual.pdf

kd7kmp

I used to go to a place in Provo on 3rd south and 4th west that used a brake plate. They started failing all my vehicles for bad brakes. It was always the rear brakes that were supposedly inoperative. I quit going there. I now go to a place in Springville (where I live) on main street at about 350 north. Been going there for several years now and I've never had my brakes failed. He does a visual inspection.

Kevin

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
I definitely need to find a place that will pull the wheel and look at the brakes, preferably as close to home as possible. I live in Kearns, and I appreciate all the suggestions. I will go out of town to get it done if I have to, but the ideal would be to find someone in the Salt Lake valley whom I can trust. BTW, when I took it back in to my mechanic, they replaced the shoes, even though there was plenty of wear on the old ones. They said that's all they could do to help get it to pass. When I took it back to the inspection place, it actually did pass, though the brakes showed weak on both sides now. I guess I'm done for another year and will be looking for a place to go for next year. It's good to start now finding that place I guess. Thanks for all your suggestions and if anyone knows someone in the Salt Lake area who visually inspects (and isn't a crook), please let me know.