GMC / Chevy NEED SOME HELP

Did some work to the k5 over the weekend

We replace the wheel seals on the rear and the rear diff cover gasket
The wheel seals are good but the rear diff cover is still leaking. What is the correct torquing for those bolts?

Also we replaced the front axle seals and one of the front axles popped out since then!! what holds those axles in?? not the half shaft cv axles but the axle that goes into the gear box

any help would be great

thank you in advance

ALF

SURE!?
Did some work to the k5 over the weekend

We replace the wheel seals on the rear and the rear diff cover gasket
The wheel seals are good but the rear diff cover is still leaking. What is the correct torquing for those bolts?

Also we replaced the front axle seals and one of the front axles popped out since then!! what holds those axles in?? not the half shaft cv axles but the axle that goes into the gear box

any help would be great

thank you in advance

If you're using a real gasket on the diff cover throw it away....put some RTV all the way around cinch it down let it dry then fill it and you can snug it up from there if it leaks....but it shouldn't .

Be more descriptive on your other question I ahve no clue what you're talking about:D

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
actually you should let that RTV skin up some before you gently tighten the bolts to like 20ft.lbs. I am too lazy to consult the factory spec but it's not much.
-- if you crank on it while it's still "wet" then you'll squeeze it into the diff and out to the side too. Let it skin a bit and it should just squish down and stay put as a seal. :D Where's that pic of the diff with all the blue goop??

as for your axles popping out, describe in better detail.

EDIT: BWWAAHAHAH found the blue goop thread, it was Meat_ ....http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=28482&highlight=a+sale+on+blue+goop

Last edited:
Cool thanks for the help

The other question is how do I get the front right axle to stay in the front transaxle(i think thats what its called) Is there like a spring inside? or did I just not line it up right inside?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
*sigh

Okay, you need to get a manual. Or read it. There is no transaxle on a K5, and as much as I would love to help you, I am too tired to even try to figure out what you are trying to say....

1. the terminology you are using does not apply to your vehicle
2. the problem you are describing does not correspond to a scenario easily imagined.

Is your front axleshaft falling out of the housing??? is it loose inside the hub??

seriously-- I have no idea what you're asking. Love to help you though! Take pics. ;)

Ya I wasnt sure what its called is it still called the front differential even though they're half shafts?

But the axle is coming out of the differential (the front differential) you know where the axle seal goes its coming out there

its not the cv axle thats coming out it the axle that bolts to the cv axle

this link is to a 97 so some parts are different but number 61 is coming out

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/compone...ier-front-axle-tx06057b0106-l21mt1k10903.html

ALF

SURE!?
Now I get it:rofl: I never even touched the IFS on my 97 and had it for 12 years...So the only advice i could give would be yank it all out and go SAS:greg:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Like I said, you need to purchase and read a manual for your vehicle. I recommend the factory manual, which can usually be found on eBay, OR, a Haynes manual, available at many parts stores.

It took 10 posts for you to accurately ID your own vehicle!!! so good luck with the manual-- but it will tell you exactly how to install/remove the axleshafts in an IFS truck.... which I stay far, far away from.

That said, my guess is: "you didn't install something where you should have". Manuals are awesome for figuring out what.

EDIT: looks to me like something is missing between 61 and 8,9,10,11. Something that should be retaining the shaft into the diff is missing.

Last edited: