Need to lift a 3 gen 4Runner quick!

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
As many of you know, I have a trip to the Maze starting on the 25th called Pastafari of which I am the super-organizer. One of my friends from IL who was signed up had her motor grenade on her just last night which would eliminate her from coming after a year of preparation. Since I own two 4x4 vehicles, I offered one to her and her husband. So they're gonna leave IL Sunday night and stay at my place and probably drive my KJ and I will take my untested 4Runner on the journey.

I need a lift PDQ but I have little $ for this since all my cash is going towards my trip and weekend in MOAB afterwards. My first call was to Kurt but he's out of town according to his message. I've read that you can do a lift on my truck using OEM components from a Land Cruiser, Tundra, Tacoma or even a Highlander. Can someone point me in a direction? Does anyone have these components lying around? Anyone got a skid they don't need anymore perhaps?

I have a friend who works at Brent Brown Toyota who can get me a discount if I have to buy new.

I am wanting the lift since this thing has zero flex, I almost got stuck in a rut trying to make a 3 point turn out west last weekend. If I gotta go with it stock, that's what I gotta do but I am trying to help out some people who had a very tough year. Any advice would be awesomely appreciated.

Thanks RME peeps.

Coco

It maybe cutting it close, but give Low Range Offroad a call on monday. They should be able to help you with your lift, and information. 801-805-6644

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I think that you may be making a mistake to take your untested 4Runner.

You're right, I might be, but I am trying to do the right thing and will be counting on God's good humor to see me through the day. Ironically, the reason I have not put the KJ on the market is I was waiting until after Pastafari since was a KJ event. Under normal circumstances, the KJ would've been gone and I would not have been in a position to help at all.

SAMI, I think Kurt told me that he stocks some of these springs. Do you know if I am correct?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I believe he does. I'm not 100% sure what he currently has in stock though. Have you called him? I'm not sure if he is in town right now or not.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
^ I obviously didn't read your whole post.. But I did now. ;)

You can use 80 series front coils on the rear of the 4runner.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
If I did a spacer lift up front (notta fan) and 80 series in back, would I put new runner shocks in the front and rear? As far as the ride, it seems everything is 200k miles old.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I guess my question to put it another way is what do people who go with the 80 coils do for shocks? Would I need something longer than what is made for the Runner?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
You will definately want new coils/shocks. The cheapest, most budget route would be fronts spacers, used 80 coils and any shock that is 2" longer than what's on there now in the rear.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
Id run the 80 series coils shocks that are 3 inchs longer and take the rear sway bar off, up front do a spacer lift for now 3 inch longer shocks and trim the bump stops so you get more wheel travel and disconnect the front sway bar once your on the trail thats the best you can do on the cheap and quick fro your runner i ran mine with no lift and disconnected sway bars for a long time and it was pretty cabable

sixstringsteve

some people swear the diff drop makes no difference, and others swear it does. Last time I checked, low range had the diff drop in stock.

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
I personally hate the diff drops, i understand the concept but it really is a stupid and lazy way of making a lift. Companies just dont want to spend the time to design a good lift that uses different A-arms and and long travel joints.

There are companies like Total Chaos suspension and others that make a sweet 6 inch lift that dosent drop your diff and lose your ground clearance but they are spendy

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
what about extending the brake lines? the lift on my KJ came with a bracket to drop the lines off the frame to gain the extension... any prep needed for the 4Runner?