need to vent: once again

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
so a while back i take my rig to firestone for imissions/inspection but they couldnt tuch it due to the vortec, they told me the only place that can do the imissions is the Utah Division of Enviornmental health(big stupid government building,they SOPPOSEDLY do every thing by the book :rolleyes: ) so no biggy i make my way down there, they test it, it fails.
week later i go to my mechanic he puts in a buncha sensors and stuff.
at 4:30 today i go down to test it again.(side note:the guy that did it had one of those curly ugly captin hook mustaches that you only see in movies cuz they are so hidious) he puts the car on the machine turns it on starts going.

few minutes into the test i notice smoke, SMOKE, yes SMOKE, :eek: coming from my engine so i go over to the guy and very politely i ask, "why the hell is there smoke coming from my truck?" then hes like "GET AWAY FROM THE MACHINE!!!!" but before i step away i get a quick glance at my guages. my heat is at 300!! at this point im freakin out. my cruiser has never over heated before, NEVER. then i look at the front of my hood and his little fan that he is sopposed to turn on to simulate head wind or whatever, isnt on!!
i let him know and his eyes get all big and worried and hes like "will you turn it on?" so i turn it on and about 2 minutes later the test is done, i look under my truck and oil is every where!! :eek: imidiatly the guy trys to tell me that it was leaking oil when i brought it in the first time(bs i work on my car all day ive never noticed an oil leak, and i know i would have noticed this big of a leak :ugh: )then i question him about my overheating, he trys to tell me that he can recall the previous owner(who i know) who brought it in for imissions having overheating problems(true, cept the previous owner didnt have the vortec in it did he? why the f*** did i put the vortec in it? :rolleyes: )
the he says the over heating had nothing to do with the oil spraying out. then he tried to tell me that oil has absolutly nothing to do with cooling the engine and there is no way he caused it. the guy thinks just cause im 17 i know absolutly nothing about cars

then he tells me they are closing and i have to go.
my land cruiser is still in their parking lot im picking it up later tonight with my tow rig. im gonna take it to my machanic see what he says

what should i do? can i do anything?

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
this is the candy bar that was sitting on my dash board at the time of the test. you will notice it is melted!! that is how hot my car was!! (they owe me a new candy bar -_- )
hershy17cb.jpg

hershy28np.jpg

V-DAWG

someday
Is the engine newer than the cruiser? I would guess so since it is a vortec. I do not understand why firestone wouldn't do it in the first place....... but, that not being the issue, I would send them a bill for a new engine and labor. If they want your old engine, let them have it. How on earth could he think that oil doesn't have anything to do with keeping cool?

Like said before, sue them suckas if there is a problem. They are responsible. That big ole fan is there for a reason.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Seems to me that your rig should have been able to complete the test fan or no fan. I have to wonder if your "mechanic screwed up something while making the truck "legal". It was ok before and frankly the fan blowing a little bit of air on the grill is not going to make that much diference compared to the engine fan pulling air through the radiator.

Caleb

bobdog said:
Seems to me that your rig should have been able to complete the test fan or no fan. I have to wonder if your "mechanic screwed up something while making the truck "legal". It was ok before and frankly the fan blowing a little bit of air on the grill is not going to make that much diference compared to the engine fan pulling air through the radiator.

my thoughts too...and I might add, sueing them is LAME...I dont care if they are in the wrong, sue happy bastards are the ones responsible for the way our society is today. My first thought would be to figure out whats leaking the oil? I not a mechanic, but most the time an overheated engine wont start gushing oil, but I think you would end up with warped heads and have a coolant leak first...maybe your cooling system is not up to par and may be you should address those items first??? Mistakes happen, maybe the guy didn;t handle it the best way possible, but the fact of the matter is I think there are issues that need to be resolved first before laying blame on anyone...

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Supergper said:
I might add, sueing them is LAME...I dont care if they are in the wrong, sue happy bastards are the ones responsible for the way our society is today.
very true. you do make an extremely good point people do make mistakes and i definatly have personal knowledge of that :D , i will not sue, the guy was an idiot but i think he got enough yelling from his boss due to it and i dont think hes ever gonna forget again. my mechanic inspected my engine and everything is fine icept for some thing with my oil sending unit blew due to the heat and thats what caused the oil to leak but not a big deal. im just glad it wasnt any worse than it was.

the fan does make a big differance why do you think the radiator is in the front of the car with the open grill, or the reason people put there radiator on top of their buggies, in the two minutes that the fan was on my truck cooled down a good 20 degrees, it doesnt seem like much but it does make a big differance. sorta like running a rig in four wheel drive on dry pavement, it doesnt seem like itll hurt it but it will

Caleb

SUPERFLY said:
very true. you do make an extremely good point people do make mistakes and i definatly have personal knowledge of that :D , i will not sue, the guy was an idiot but i think he got enough yelling from his boss due to it and i dont think hes ever gonna forget again. my mechanic inspected my engine and everything is fine icept for some thing with my oil sending unit blew due to the heat and thats what caused the oil to leak but not a big deal. im just glad it wasnt any worse than it was.

the fan does make a big differance why do you think the radiator is in the front of the car with the open grill, or the reason people put there radiator on top of their buggies, in the two minutes that the fan was on my truck cooled down a good 20 degrees, it doesnt seem like much but it does make a big differance. sorta like running a rig in four wheel drive on dry pavement, it doesnt seem like itll hurt it but it will

well, actually...the buggies you see with the grill up top are usually mud boggers, as its too common for rock crawlers to roll smashing the radiator :D and MOST comp buggies have their radiators in the rear (mostly for visability and package size) and they cool just fine...lso what you are saying is you EXPECT your rig to overheat while you are waiting on a tail in the middle of the summer? there will be the same amount of air flow through the radiator as there was at the inspection station BUT the temp outside will be MUCH hotter...not trying to be an ass but rather making a point that if your engine overheated while sitting there being tested what makes you think it wont overheat on the trail???

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Supergper said:
well, actually...the buggies you see with the grill up top are usually mud boggers, as its too common for rock crawlers to roll smashing the radiator :D and MOST comp buggies have their radiators in the rear (mostly for visability and package size) and they cool just fine...lso what you are saying is you EXPECT your rig to overheat while you are waiting on a tail in the middle of the summer? there will be the same amount of air flow through the radiator as there was at the inspection station BUT the temp outside will be MUCH hotter...not trying to be an ass but rather making a point that if your engine overheated while sitting there being tested what makes you think it wont overheat on the trail???

point well taken, with low rpm trail driving you are right the engine does not require much wind going through the grill.
but at high rpms such as when it is being tested for emissions on the dyno (or flinging mud)it does require some air flow to cool the radiator, if you recall darwins eagle blowing its engine when mudd flingging due to high rpms, i bet will agree with me about his eagle not getting enough head wind for the speed of his engine. also you may notice the little electric fans you can buy that go in front of you radiator for trail driving. not trying to be an ass either

V-DAWG

someday
Supergper said:
my thoughts too...and I might add, sueing them is LAME...I dont care if they are in the wrong, sue happy bastards are the ones responsible for the way our society is today.

I disagree with you. The reason I feel our society is the way it is today is because people will not take responsibility for their own actions. If you f#$k up, fix it. I only suggest suing because people will di#k around with you until you finally give up. If they were responsible for engine damage, and they wouldn't take care of it, then by all means sue to have the damage fixed.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
V-DAWG said:
I disagree with you. The reason I feel our society is the way it is today is because people will not take responsibility for their own actions. If you f#$k up, fix it. I only suggest suing because people will di#k around with you until you finally give up. If they were responsible for engine damage, and they wouldn't take care of it, then by all means sue to have the damage fixed.
Wow, you really got a take on the situation, don't ya. :rolleyes:

Sounds to me that you didn't do the research on your engine swap, and didn't double, triple,quadruple check your installation. Emissions tests do not generally cause overheating, they also don't cause oil leaks, no matter how bad the tech screws up. Suing would be assinine and you would be thrown out of court.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I went and had an IM test done on my CJ the week before Christmas. No fan was used (I was standing right there) and nothing melted down. 300degrees in the time it takes to run the test means something is wrong, and probably not just a undersized cooling system.