Needs some advice and opinions

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
I have been having problems with my rear u-joints for quite some time now, and have been working on getting a SYE for it, but family situations keep preventing me from saving the cash. Well i think i have finaly bent the output shaft/yoke on the t-case. So as of right now the rear drive shaft is sitting in the passenger seat and i have been running it in part time. How long can i run it like that without causing more damage, or does it effect anything? Is there something cheep i can do for now until i have money to fix it? I finaly ditched the jerk, who did nothing but beat the crap out of my jeep, but now i am left to fix everything he broke!:mad:

Oh i guess i should mention its a 2000 TJ

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Driving in part time is probably more of a nuisance than anything. Shouldn't cause any premature wear on anything, especially if your front is still an open differential.

Sounds to me like you might as well go with a full SYE from Advance Adapters or Tom Woods that will replace the entire output shaft. It's not cheap, but it's likely the only way to fix everything right.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
You may be causing a BIG problem!
Any case with a slip yoke will dump lube (ATF) out the output if a plug or shaft is not in it. May leak enough to run ruin it....Always park facing down hill. Also the oil pump in the case is driven off the output shaft, so if the output is bent enough, it could be effecting the pump....

The HD SYE kits are better, but My wife ran the Tom Woods one on her XJ for years and it held up fine....

Get it fixxed ASAP though.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
rckcrlr said:
You may be causing a BIG problem!
Any case with a slip yoke will dump lube (ATF) out the output if a plug or shaft is not in it. May leak enough to run ruin it..

I Forgot about that! :eek:

Yeah, those slip yokes will leak all the fluid out if they are not in place. :-\

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
Herzog said:
I Forgot about that! :eek:

Yeah, those slip yokes will leak all the fluid out if they are not in place. :-\

Is it a leak I can keep an eye on? As far as I can tell the slip yoke hasn't moved and nothing appears to be leaking :confused:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
JPNGRL44 said:
Is it a leak I can keep an eye on? As far as I can tell the slip yoke hasn't moved and nothing appears to be leaking :confused:

If I remember right, the newer NP-231J's have a better seal to keep the t case from leaking, so you might be okay. You would notice if it was leaking since the slip yoke would have oil coming the rear of it (where the driveshaft slid in.)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Brett said:
If I remember right, the newer NP-231J's have a better seal to keep the t case from leaking, so you might be okay. You would notice if it was leaking since the slip yoke would have oil coming the rear of it (where the driveshaft slid in.)
The TJ's are better I think, but watch it, esspecially if facing up hill.
You will notice redish fluid if it is leaking.

Is the yoke still in the tcase? (did you seperate the shat at the ujoint, or just pull it out?)

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
Meat_ said:
:eek: You're not driving around with the slip yoke in and the shaft not are you?

bad bad bad bad idea

No...... I don't think so. I didn't take it off, but from looking at it with what little knowledge i have I don't think so :confused: The upper u-joint on the drive shaft is still complete.

Meat_

Banned
So at the back of the tcase there is an open hole where the rear drive line hooks on?

That is still a bad idea because your oil will leak out, but it's not as bad of an idea as leaving the yoke in so it can work it's way out and bounce around.

If I were you I would take it somewhere and find out what exactly is damaged, it may be an inexpensive fix. I'm going to sugest Gaylon's Driveline in Lehi, it's on the South side of State street and about 580 E, John will treat you right.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
Meat_ said:
Now you're going to have to learn to break stuff on your own -_-

Thanks heavens for RME! It will most definatley be a rocky road. I have almost always been in the pasenger seat, and handing the tools to someone else. But I am determined to do it myself from now on :eek: Especially now that I am old enought to not have my family tell me what girls can and can't do!

Meat_

Banned
You can do it, you just have a steep learning curve ahead of you. Most of the guys on here were learning what you've started to learn when they were little, so they'll be a bit ahead of you. ;)

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
If your in Utah county, I would swing by six states and have Kevin/Kent (they are interchangable) take a look at it. Bet they would even give you a plug for the output to help slow down the potenial leaking....
Kevin/Kent and Galen are all very trustworthy, straight up guys. They will not lead you wrong. (Kevin/Kent have been known to moonlight for Galen)

Bart

Yep, I can vouch for all three, they are good people and will not take advantage of you. Six States is a great business, especially in Orem.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
rckcrlr said:
If your in Utah county, I would swing by six states and have Kevin/Kent (they are interchangable) take a look at it. Bet they would even give you a plug for the output to help slow down the potenial leaking....
Kevin/Kent and Galen are all very trustworthy, straight up guys. They will not lead you wrong. (Kevin/Kent have been known to moonlight for Galen)

Thanks!! :) I ran the jeep down on my lunch break. Kent took a look at it. The output shaft is bent :-\ but he doesn't think it will leak. So I have some time to save up and get it fixed.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I have a good output shaft, etc that you can have for nothing. It was from a new transfer case that I put a HD SYE kit in... Buy the beer and pizza and I'll show you how to put it in! ;)

...Get some good spicer joints for your driveshaft, and we'll replace the old junk ones while were in there... Solve all of your problems in one day.

Edit: Actually, in a week or two, I will be doing another SYE kit on a new TJ. You can have that driveshaft, too. Between all of those parts, we should be able to get you all fixed up and not have anymore future problems.

JPNGRL44

Unhealthy Obsession
waynehartwig said:
I have a good output shaft, etc that you can have for nothing. It was from a new transfer case that I put a HD SYE kit in... Buy the beer and pizza and I'll show you how to put it in! ;)

...Get some good spicer joints for your driveshaft, and we'll replace the old junk ones while were in there... Solve all of your problems in one day.

Edit: Actually, in a week or two, I will be doing another SYE kit on a new TJ. You can have that driveshaft, too. Between all of those parts, we should be able to get you all fixed up and not have anymore future problems.

Hey can I maybe bring it by and have you take a look at the angles. I would love to get it fixed up for free...... But while I have the money to pick up an SYE I may be better off to just do that, I am not entirely sure:confused:

Brett

Meat-Hippy
JPNGRL44 said:
Hey can I maybe bring it by and have you take a look at the angles. I would love to get it fixed up for free...... But while I have the money to pick up an SYE I may be better off to just do that, I am not entirely sure where my money is best spent at the moment :confused:

If you've got the money for the SYE, I would definately say go ahead and buy that. It's a great upgrade and you'll thank yourself later for it.