Neighbor's annoying pets (long post)

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
How would you guys handle this situation.

Backyard neighbor has at least 4 small dogs (I think 5) and 3 or 4 cats. The dogs bark their a$$es off anytime I step out my back door. Now with it 10* outside neither me nor the dogs are out much, but when it is summer time and I'm having a cocktail out on the deck it gets damn annoying!

I have talked to the neighbor about it quite a few times. At first I thought he would take it serious, because he bought a couple of bark collars and rotated them between dogs. It worked for a while, but then he felt it was mean to make the dogs wear them. The barking started again. So he found the two primary offenders and sold them.

Things were tollerable now, then they got 2 new puppies. I asked about that, he said they were chihuahuas and are small inside dogs and wouldn't be outside. Well as of late fall the pups were no longer pups and guess what, they ran with the pack of dogs and they are barkers. The dogs have a pet door so they can go in and out when they want, but in the summer they are outside all the time. The neighbor has a high raised deck so the dogs sit there and look around as dogs do. So when I'm outside the always see me and bark like no tomorrow. I've tried to ignore them, but they don't stop, I've yelled at them, nothing. I've even taken my garden hose to them, that works but they run out of my range. Maybe I'll buy a pressure washer and pin the little bastards to the wall. All the time neighbor says he can't hear them, but won't answer my calls when I call to tell him about barking dogs.

Now for the cats. Only one is a real offender. Short story is one cat comes in through our cat door and eats our cat's very expensive prescription diet. Neighbors cat is slightly retarded so our cat won't beat it down, its kind of funny to see, our cat runs over like there is hell to pay, sees the retard then feels sorry for it. Neighbor knows, but doesn't care.

The city ordinance says 2 dogs or apply for kennel license so he is illegal to begin with. The neighbor is a good guy, we have drinks together quite often and I consider him a friend, so I don't want to call the city and complain.

What would you do? Sorry for the long post

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I would have one last talk with him, and if things didn't change ASAP, call the city. At least here in Tooele, there are ordinances for noise and irritation LOL

As to the cat, I'd grab it up, and drop it off in Midvale, or any other far-enough place. I'm not implying that Midvale needs more cats or is a haven for strays. :)

IF this guy is making things that much of a PITA, he has to deal with it, so I wouldn't feel too bad calling the city on his ass. I HATE barking dogs.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
50.jpg

The top one....might be overkill, but it's a guarantee :cool:

richpblaze

Call animal control

and complain call them every day if needed. I have had this same problem. Take pictures record them do what ever it takes. Definetly call every day. They will make them comply or get rid of the animals. It beats killing them which is definetly an option.:mad2: :mad2:

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We have a comple of those types around my house. One is a police canine...:eek: It took several calls, but not even small children can walk past the fense without it barking and atatcking the fence. The officer got in trouble from the department and later stopped being a canine officer. Needless to say I couldnt't care less if he was a cop, and he hates us... but you can only give people so many chances.

Cory

At pet stores you can get small devices that you hook to a fence or tree. Whenever dogs bark the device lets out a high pitch sound that only dogs hear. The dogs hate it and usually stop barking.

Bone Down

if the neighbor was as good a friend you would not be here asking us about this.
Call the city enough is enough.
Set up a camera and record daily occurances and show it to the city if you have to, if you don't have to show, save it in the case that you have to go to court about it, then play your hand.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Exactly. Friends won't treat friends this way. When/if my dogs bark, it doesn't matter if it's 3am, I'm up out of bed disciplining them. I dont care if you have 6' thick walls, when your dog barks, you can hear it. Time to take some personal responsibilty and shut them up (not you, the neighbor hehe)... lol you can too, I guess ;)

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
Antifreeze is cruel. I used to work for a few vets. I saw way to many suffer and die from antifreeze.

It is kind of cool to treat, IV everclear and saline. The body detoxes the alcohol and lets the antifreeze pass. Dogs with hangovers are cool!

Funny thing about the .50 cal. I was drinking with said neighbors on their deck and saw their cat looking in my cat door. Told the neighbor's wife I would 12 gauge it in my unfinished basement after it came through the cat door. She said "OK it's not our cat" I had just enough drinks in me, so out the door I went. About half way over to my place she realized I wasn't bluffing and came to get her cat. The problem stopped for a while, but didn't cure it.

I think the cat-relocation project will probably be the solution, I've been thinking about that for a while now.

I like the high pitch anti bark thing. I didn't even think about that. Maybe I'll get a dog whistle too and torment the little bastards every time I see them. How fun would that be!

I can see it now: Dog whistle $10, bottle of whisky $20, tormenting the neighbor's dog while getting ripped in your favorite lounge chair...priceless

If all else fails then it looks like the city gets the phone calls.

Thanks guys!