Netflix VS Hulu plus

YOUKNOW

I don't have a source of satellite or cable in my town home. I like that Hulu has a ton of TV programs, but Netflix has more current movies. If you had to choose between Netflix and Hulu plus, which would you prefer?

Dominic

I have both and use hulu more. To be honest netflix sort of sucks with new release movies, it's good for past seasons of certain shows but I haven't watched a movie on it for months. The real reason I keep netflix is for my sons kid shows ie. Curious George, thomas the train etc. Another thing about Hulu is it doesn't limit ip addresses so my sister and I split the $8 cost between households and connect all the devices we want.

sixstringsteve

To be honest netflix sort of sucks with new release movies, it's good for past seasons of certain shows but I haven't watched a movie on it for months.

I agree here. I don't have TV, and I only have Netflix. I love Netflix, but my one complaint is the lack of up-to-date movies, and all TV shows are a year behind. That being said, there are a lot of great movies and TV shows from the past 10 years that I'm enjoying now after-the-fact. It's kinda nice being able to watch 4 seasons in a month, rather than waiting 4 years. Cliffhangers don't bug me anymore because I get the next season instantly. :D

Team1k

Hmmm. I have Hulu Plus and Netflix. I would say i like Netflix more. Main reason? Hulu has commercials in it so its just like your watching TV. Its just irritates me cause i think "What am i paying for here? To watch commercials?" The only reason we have hulu is we cant always catch the tv series we want to watch on TV, and dont want to bother with a DVR. Its true Netflix doesnt always have the latest stuff but i have yet to get through all the movies on it i want to see. Seems like my "instant queue"(where you save videos for later) gets bigger everyday.

As for limiting IP addresses ive never had that issue. Ive even tested it out by having my wife at home watching on the xbox, me on a computer at work watching something else, my cell phone running it over the cell network, and my ipad with cell network as well all at the same time with the same login.

sixstringsteve

As for limiting IP addresses ive never had that issue. Ive even tested it out by having my wife at home watching on the xbox, me on a computer at work watching something else, my cell phone running it over the cell network, and my ipad with cell network as well all at the same time with the same login.

Same here. I can watch it on my phone while my wife watches on her phone, while the in-laws are watching at my house.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
We just cancelled our cable and are sticking with Hulu and Netflix. Hulu is much better for up to date tv shows, Netflix is better for movies in general.

Dominic

Same here. I can watch it on my phone while my wife watches on her phone, while the in-laws are watching at my house.

I stand corrected I just looked up my account on Netflix and they have changed things. You can no longer manage individual devices on you account so they must not care how many devices you connect.

Last edited:

Dominic

Hmmm. I have Hulu Plus and Netflix. I would say i like Netflix more. Main reason? Hulu has commercials in it so its just like your watching TV. Its just irritates me cause i think "What am i paying for here? To watch commercials?" The only reason we have hulu is we cant always catch the tv series we want to watch on TV, and dont want to bother with a DVR. Its true Netflix doesnt always have the latest stuff but i have yet to get through all the movies on it i want to see. Seems like my "instant queue"(where you save videos for later) gets bigger everyday.

Little tip about hulu commercials, they only play the first time you watch. I will usually play an episode of whatever I want to watch and just run it in the background at work or something with the sound off. Then when I watch it later at home with the wife no commercials.

Team1k

Little tip about hulu commercials, they only play the first time you watch. I will usually play an episode of whatever I want to watch and just run it in the background at work or something with the sound off. Then when I watch it later at home with the wife no commercials.

I may have to try that! One time hulu had a glitch and played 4 commercial sets in a row at the beginning of the show, after that it never had a commercial the rest of the time. I wish there was a setting that let me do that all the time :(

Jeepj667

I have only on-demand Netflix. We tried Hulu plus becuase we had a free month. After looking and not finding any of the shows we were hoping to on it, we didn't use it again.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Another option to consider, Amazon Prime. It's cheaper than the others ($80/year I think), and offers unlimited streaming of their movies and TV shows. I don't know how well it compares, but it might be worth considering anyway.

Caleb

Another option to consider, Amazon Prime. It's cheaper than the others ($80/year I think), and offers unlimited streaming of their movies and TV shows. I don't know how well it compares, but it might be worth considering anyway.

I have Amazon prime and it's streaming selection blows in comparison to any of the others. I use it occasionally because it's there, but would never buy it for the intention of streaming. Personally, if I were you I would get to know usenet :rofl: It will completely replace even the best Netflix/Hulu Plus/going to the theatre combo :) Get Sickbeard, Couchpotato, and SABNzbd setup and running and you'll never have to miss any show again.

I had Netflix for a long time, I used to use it to get obscure shows on DVD so I could rip them and send them back. Once they split the DVD/Streaming service, it became a complete waste of money. The TV shows they have are old (atleast a season old) and their selection isn't that great. Same for their Movies. If you want to watch documentaries, then their selection is decent. ;)

YOUKNOW

Thanks for all the comments, so does netflix have more up to date movies then? I always thought that netflix had newer movies than Hulu. From some of the comments on here I guess not?

skeptic

Once every couple months my wife and I go to Blockbuster and buy a stack of previously used movies - 3 for $20, 4 for $20, and the occasional $10+ movie. Since I rip them all to my media center (mythtv), plus basic cable - ~$20 a month non-advertised but you can get it if you specifically ask for it, and a digital TV capture card for DVR through MythTV. I use Hulu to watch older TV shows and some current shows that I don't get with basic cable. Using an ordinary remote control I have access to my 700+ movie collection, live TV, DVR'd TV, and Hulu (Hulu Desktop, not even Hulu plus). With my setup and movie buying habits, I doubt I'd bother with Netflix even if it were free. I must admit though, I haven't check out their selection lately. Last time I looked, there was essentially nothing on netflix that I didn't already have and was interested in watching.

Dominic

Amazon prime has plenty of shows but the newer ones you have to rent for a few additional dollars. That said at least it comes with other advantages like free two day shipping on almost anything and 3.99 overnight shipping. You can also add other people onto your prime account so they can enjoy the shipping benefits and online streaming. The add-on people can't stream to devices though.