New Addition To The Family!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Meet our 4 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback, Shadow. We brought him home yesterday from Huntington where he left 2 brothers.. It was quite the ordeal to break those three up. He's gonna be a big boy, just like his dad. Harley, his dad was every bit of 100lbs and gorgeous. Shadow is the breeder's first pup out of 5 litters to not have a full ridge. Instead, he has a little swirl or tuft of hair jsut below his shoulders.

We went with Shadow because of the Halloween spirit, his black face, and his very uncommon black chest, and awesomely dark red coat. He puked in the car twice as it was his first real car ride, and he doesn't like the leash at all. He slept great in the kennel, and him and our other dog, 5y/o Golden Retriever Sobe, get along great. I'm just hoping that Sobe claims his alpha position before too long, cause Shadow will be nearly twice his size in no time.

Friday we looked at the 3 remaining puppies, and chose Shadow. Then picked him up on our way back from St George.
519f2416.jpg

Here's Shadow after puke #2 after 1hr in the car..
cc79c57b.jpg

At grandma's meeting the family, and waiting for the little kids to drop their food.
18937c9d.jpg

Checking out his room..
784ad3fd.jpg

Sad and sleepy..
82d4d6f8.jpg

Last edited:

Bart

Congrats, and great looking pup. In a couple of weeks he won't remember anything but your place and life will be good.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Ha, thanks Cody.

So I finally had a successful walking with a leash on session with Shadow. He put up such a fight yesterday about having a leash on. It took 5 minutes to coax him out the door with the leash on today, but once he was out it was smooth sailing. We walked up and down our street twice (6 houses).. Encountered yappy dogs - who he didn't bark at - and, approached neighbors. He did awesome.

777442cc.jpg

4554x4

always modifing something
I have a Ridgeback/Boxer mix. Good looking dog, but your will get much larger/heavier than mine.

Its so cool when a Ridgeback gets fired up! The Mohawk all the way to the tail is cool!

MattL

Meet our 4 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback, Shadow. We brought him home yesterday from Huntington where he left 2 brothers.. It was quite the ordeal to break those three up. He's gonna be a big boy, just like his dad. Harley, his dad was every bit of 100lbs and gorgeous. Shadow is the breeder's first pup out of 5 litters to not have a full ridge. Instead, he has a little swirl or tuft of hair jsut below his shoulders.

We went with Shadow because of the Halloween spirit, his black face, and his very uncommon black chest, and awesomely dark red coat. He puked in the car twice as it was his first real car ride, and he doesn't like the leash at all. He slept great in the kennel, and him and our other dog, 5y/o Golden Retriever Sobe, get along great. I'm just hoping that Sobe claims his alpha position before too long, cause Shadow will be nearly twice his size in no time.

Friday we looked at the 3 remaining puppies, and chose Shadow. Then picked him up on our way back from St George.
519f2416.jpg

So what do you mean not to have a full ridge? I have looked at ridgebacks and think that they are gorgeous dogs from what I have seen.

Odd question, some dogs just stink, like pugs and others, is this dog a clean smeller? There will a replacement dog here in the future, I want a slightly bigger dog than we have but we will see.

Good looking dog buy the way!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Notice the ridge on this RR puppy's back:

Rhodesian_Ridgeback_Puppy.jpg

Shadow does not have the ridge. He was the first puppy out of 50+ puppies from the breeder to not have a ridge. Instead he has a little swirl of fur just below his shoulders (you can see it in the second photo). All the ridge is, is fur growing the opposite direction. Some breeders will put down any pups without ridges, as they want to keep the best traits in the gene pool. I think that's ridiculous since the dogs still make great companions and family dogs, as not everyone who owns a RR is using it for top dog shows.

I'm not exactly sure what a "clean smeller" consitutes.. As to me, that's relative. He is a short hair, so there's less dander and odor from a full thick coat of long fur. This breed is part Mastiff, and they have quite the Mastiff farts and large BM's even at 4 months old.

Shadow will weigh in at around 85-100lbs.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Jacey just sent me a few pics from Sunday... We stopped to eat some food at a park in Price.

Not sure what's up with photobucket.. These photos are straight on PB.
4feb7198.jpg

620e2806.jpg

21f4ee07.jpg

3eaa215f.jpg

cfce5a31.jpg

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Nice! From what I know about ridgebacks, they're about the best wheeling dog you can have. They tolerate extreme temps, have a ridiculous endurance, and have pads suited for the desert environment. Neat dogs for sure.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I finally decided to pull my shoe off around 2pm today to figure out what was bouncing around under my foot... A puppy tooth.

The breeder emailed me a few photos today of Shadow as a little pup..

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

99746503.jpg

mesha

By endurance we conquer
cut off thermal bottoms huh

..........you might be a redneck

Awesome looking dog. I have always wanted a rhodesian small swirlback. I love RRs and think yo made a wise choice.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Its so cool when a Ridgeback gets fired up! The Mohawk all the way to the tail is cool!

I was slightly worried that we might not see this from Shadow since he has a swirl instead of the full ridge. But yesterday when a neighborhood dog approached him, all the fur on his back stood straight up.. It was awesome. He didn't show signs of aggression at all, just more of a hightened sense of awareness while the other dog was around us.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
A cutie for sure, We just love our dogs but there is nothing like a puppy to tear up new landscaping :D

^ So true....

And of course last Friday afternoon/evening he stands looking into the kitchen barking and growling at nothing - something he has never done. Up until then we'd hardly heard him bark. This is after a day of reading ghost stories in the ghost story thread, so it was a teeny bit creepy.

I find puppy teeth everywhere now.. My shoes 3 times now, randomly on teh floor where he chews bones and toys.. Our 5y/o Golden, Sobe, started to lick Shadow's snout and face a ton.. I've figured out that he's licking Shadow's mouth because he knows he's got several wounds in his mouth where the teeth are transitioning.. Though maybe they were bonding a little too much for few days there...

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Some shots from yesterday's dog park session..

My little dude
97fe22c3.jpg

68c6ec16.jpg

Tail to the face..
2ff34336.jpg

d0ccc816.jpg

Pretty sure our golden was having a stroke when I took this.
b177711c.jpg

89113071.jpg

1a214897.jpg

ffd8bd09.jpg

71759c1e.jpg

262beba1.jpg

Shadow had to learn quick to take on this 90lb 1y/o black lab blood hound mix.. Being young himself, his size was rough on Shadow; but my little dude held his own. I hope these two meet again when Sobe's fullsize.
34bec557.jpg

ce3564d3.jpg

d3b2dcad.jpg

c2beb226.jpg

e28052e4.jpg