New adventure need help

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
Ok I am running a 77 CJ7 with the 304 I just picked up a 79 Chevy 3/4 ton with the 350 standard transmission and np 205 44 front and 12 bolt nonclip rear. I plan on using the axles and the engine of course but dont want the standard trans i want an automatic so what would be the best route? I know many people have done this and was trying to find right ups but failed

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
On road, off road, both? I always vote 700r4. Lower first grear and overdrive. Not as strong out of the box, but can be built to be pretty tough. Get a K housing for the added strength.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
i was thinking the 700 but the length seems pretty long, it is offroad only OHV

I don't think it's that long at all? Likely similar in length to a T400? I do like the 700 offroad for the low first gear.

The cool thing about Chev powerplants/trans is they're all the same bolt pattern. You don't have to worry about the origin of the trans to see if it will mate to your motor.

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
I don't think it's that long at all? Likely similar in length to a T400? I do like the 700 offroad for the low first gear.

The cool thing about Chev powerplants/trans is they're all the same bolt pattern. You don't have to worry about the origin of the trans to see if it will mate to your motor.

Good to know! so ya think the 700 and 205 wont be to long, I am liking the 205 since i already have a twin stick for it and like that they are well "bomb proof" but would that be a good choice for a CJ7?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Good to know! so ya think the 700 and 205 wont be to long, I am liking the 205 since i already have a twin stick for it and like that they are well "bomb proof" but would that be a good choice for a CJ7?

I'd imagine there is a 205 that MIGHT mate with a 700? It'd likely be sourced from a T350/205 but I don't know for SURE that those were available in a factory config. The thing I don't like about the 205 is the 2:1 ratio. It's likely not that big of a deal, but I'd prefer the lower 2.62 or 2.72 ratio from the other cases. The 700 has a 27 spline output shaft (as does the T350). Your 205 that is mated to the 465 is likely a 10 spline (possibly a 32?--which would mate with a T400). Since you're going trail only, you can dump your diff gears lower (5.13 is lowest for the 14 bolt--there was a 5.36 or 5.38 or similar, but I don't know if they ever made it into production?) to account for the 2:1 and an auto trans will make that even easier to deal with.

There's a factory or aftermarket adapter to mate the cases, I'm sure. It's just what it might cost vs. moving with something that would work a little better/cheaper.

I'm running a 700 with a D300. I've quite liked it, but wonder if I should have moved to an Atlas II rather than spend the bucks to make the D300 work (I'm into the D300 about $1200 or so--still cheaper than an Atlas, but it's needing some serious love at the moment). You'll have to make your own decision, obviously, but whatever you decide, you'll likely be second guessing your choice vs. the other options you considered.

I'm helping a buddy build an even lower buck version of my Jeep for him. We're going with a production case setup to keep the costs down. Likely end up with a passenger drop 700/241 or 700/208 combo. (looking for a TBI wiring harness, motor, trans/case donor on the cheap)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
The 205 can be fit to a 700r4 as you say, with one from a Th350. It can be done w/factory adapters if you really want to.

A better choice, IMO, is the 241 that comes with anything from the later 80's. Half-tons, Blazers, trucks... but the 241 is pretty long. Marc's 700/300 setup is a pretty sweet one, shortish.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I have enjoyed my 700/300 as well. If I don't go Atlas/stak I will use another 300 flipped behind my 4l60e. When I did the swap and installed the 700. All I did was install new bungs in the frame to move the stock skid back the few inches needed to mount the case in the stock location on the skid. Then I moved my rear axle back the same amount in order to reuse the rear drive shaft.
Really the only downside to the 700 is the passenger side offset to the pan. I ended up haveing to use 1 inch or maybe 1 1/4 inch solid stock for the front drive shaft to clear the pan. It's a non issue with a driver drop axle.

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
Good to know, i am liking the 700/300 setup idea. I picked the entire truck up for 200 bucks and it runs great so i can sell stuff off of it to cover the cost of what i need for the 700/300 setup. It might just have to wait til the end of the summer til i drop it all in. I really want to hit the trail with her this year and dont want to see her sit til i finish lol

jdub

Scrambler
I have had a d300 in two jeeps. I like them and have had zero issues with the t-cases. I just like d300's period, it's worth the effort to throw them behind the tranny. I can see if you wanted a 4to1 conversion it may just pay to do an atlas due to cost of the kit plus adapter.