New and improved New Member night run - March 11th (Updated)

THSDragoon

I have a new Trooper :D
if it's dry, and people have capable enough rigs, I think we could let a few of the noobs drive for part 2. But if it's super wet or icy or snowy, I don't want to be responsible for spotting someone into a rock I didn't see resulting in body damage :(

I do want to zip through rattlesnake though, it's going to be a long night as it is, and watching everyone take the hardest line for their rigs is going to make it a lot longer...

i've said it onece, i'll say it again; i like body damage from doing a run. it gives the truck character.:)

ozzy702

So part 2 where everyone runs Rattlesnake, will experienced drivers that haven't done anything with the club be able to run it or will we have to ride with someone?

How difficult is rattlesnake? Can an XJ with 31's make it? My truck isn't street legal yet so if I come it will be in the GF's cherokee.

Cherokeester

So part 2 where everyone runs Rattlesnake, will experienced drivers that haven't done anything with the club be able to run it or will we have to ride with someone?

How difficult is rattlesnake? Can an XJ with 31's make it? My truck isn't street legal yet so if I come it will be in the GF's cherokee.

Of what club do you speak? If you want to run rattlesnake, do it. Let Steve know so he can keep a tally of what he is getting himself into.

ozzy702

Of what club do you speak? If you want to run rattlesnake, do it. Let Steve know so he can keep a tally of what he is getting himself into.

Not so much club, but of the RME regulars. I'm new to Ut so I don't know anyone. :D Yes we'd like to do Rattlesnake IF it's not too much to ask of her cherokee.

I fabbed up some basic rock sliders and threw together a 3" lift with 31's. It's a very mildly built vehicle (I'm used to wheeling on 39's) but it does ok. The big thing is she doesn't want to tear it up and I wouldn't want to hold anyone back if it's a fairly challenging trail.

Cherokeester

Not so much club, but of the RME regulars. I'm new to Ut so I don't know anyone. :D Yes we'd like to do Rattlesnake IF it's not too much to ask of her cherokee.

I fabbed up some basic rock sliders and threw together a 3" lift with 31's. It's a very mildly built vehicle (I'm used to wheeling on 39's) but it does ok. The big thing is she doesn't want to tear it up and I wouldn't want to hold anyone back if it's a fairly challenging trail.

You should do it, I don't think you would have to much trouble unless it is solid ice or a foot of new snow.:eek:

sixstringsteve

If you've driven the trail before (either with RME or not, it doesn't matter), then you're golden for part 2.

If you haven't driven rattlesnake before, but you have a lot of experience rockcrawling and have a rig that's lifted, then you're welcome to drive for part 2. I am assuming you know how to crawl and won't need instruction. We'll still spot you if you need it, but we're going to have a big group, so I am just concerned with keeping the flow going.

sixstringsteve

My main concern with this night run is not drawing a line in the sand somewhere. I don't want lead 20+ noobs who want to take their stock rigs through rattlesnake because someone told them it'd make it.

If any noobs (or anybody for that matter) want to run rattlesnake that night in their stock rig, go for it. I'm not going to stop you, I don't own the trail. But don't consider it part of this guided run. I won't be spotting, waiting up, instructing, or yanking noobs off of rocks that night. Not trying to be a jerk, but that would make for a LONG night that I don't want to stress about.

In May I'll be planning a trip where i'll take my time teaching and spotting the noobs to drive through rattlesnake on their own, not just to ride along.

The purpose of this run is to get noobs familiar with basic driving techniques and get them familiar with their vehicle's handling off road.

In May I'm planning a noob run that will focus on rock crawling techniques and I'll take all day if needed to get the noobs through rattlesnake at that time, just not on a cold, snowy, dark night run on the 11th :D

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'll be there for sure for the May run. I'll have my TJ mild lift with 33's, sliders and no lockers(unless I can pick up an aussie before then) so if anything I can help show people how to pick a line that won't need lockers. But then I'm not scared of body damage since it will only give me an excuse to buy more stuff. I've never even wheeled with a locker so I've had to adjust my driving style to suit it.

I am a huge fan of both of these runs you are putting together Steve. When I first started out I just kinda got thrown into it and didn't even know that I was "supposed" to disconnect my swaybar or air down my tires. Luckily I had a good group of friends to help a little and one person that was willing to spot and teach.

For everyone that has never wheeled before or very little, do yourself a favor and soak in as much as you can from this first run without getting into a bad situation. Just ride if you are questionable at all and come back for a full day of fun. I'm sure on the May run there will be a lot of awesome learning going on. Hopefully we can get into safe winching techniques and stuff like that.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
If for some reason there are people that want to go but don't want to drive their own rig, I could probably put my rear seats in my ZJ and head out--that would give me 2-4 open seats. PM me I guess.

I remember when I was new and didn't know what to do and/or expect.

sixstringsteve

Even if you don't have a rig, but you want to learn more about rockcrawling and how to drive/what to expect, you should come out to this trip. You can always learn from a friend, but sometimes it's nice to be with a big group of new wheelers to learn from their questions, etc.

We don't normally schedule runs like this, so please take advantage of the situation if you're new.

sixstringsteve

cool, hope you can make it yellow. Post your location so we can see who's else lives out in your neck of the woods.

sixstringsteve

Steve if I make it out i promise i will behave.

Hah, if you're a noob, I'm a premature baby.

I'll watch as nate pulls you off the rocks again when you get hi-centered :D

Actually rick, I'm going to egg you on to take that same line so you can show the noobs what your rig can do!

Last edited: