new and need a little advise

just like the title says, new and need a little advise. i have a 92 yj, locked and lifted, i recently put it on its side(first time for everything) it is now making a noise in the front end, whenever i go above 50 mph, it sounds like gears missing a tooth, then when i slow down around 10 mph it sounds like it is being put back in gear. this just started and i haven't ripped it apart yet, just looking for ideas.

also i am looking for good ideas for axles to replace my 30 front and 44 rear, i'm not rich but like doing things right, if you have a good idea please let me know.

my jeep is my 4 wheeler, hunting truck, and snow vehicle, its sprung over and has flat fenders, grandpa was a blacksmith so i have a few tools, me and a high school buddy have been jeeping around utah for around 15 years, never got too into finding parts for the jeep until recent events

thanks for all your input, hopefully i'll see you out there

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
keep the 44 in the rear, there's nothing wrong with it, esp. for a general purpose rig.

If the front end is making noise after an event, think about what happened during that event that might be the cause: Did you smash a hub into the stub shaft? Bend a shaft? Screw up a wheel bearing? etc. Take a look this weekend, if you can. :D

Also, welcome to RME, and if you're not already involved, thinking about throwing your hat in with U4WDA, USA-ALL, or the Blue Ribbon Coalition, and keep an eye out on this board for various RME-sponsored training events, service projects, or legislative opportunities. ;)

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Welcome aboard. I'll side with Tacoma on this one. Your 44 is just fine not real need to upgrade unless you want to go with huge tires. Your D30 up front is debatable on if it is strong enough, I would say since this is your first time with any issues with it you are probably fine with it.

Pull your diff cover and check for damage. If nothing is wrong there you can pull your shafts at the same time to check them and you hubs/unit bearings, check out your u-joints.

sixstringsteve

Welcome. We're planning a service project/training day around Sept 28-29th. Keep your calendar open for those dates.

35's , whats hardcore? i like to run it up and down rocks, it's done a vast amount of trails, i tend to think with my head a little more than my gas pedal. i've been looking at 1978 fords for their axles but i don't know? i'll pull the front apart this weekend and find out whats up

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
i have a 92 yj, locked and lifted

also i am looking for good ideas for axles to replace my 30 front and 44 rear

You've already upgraded your rear axle once; why do you think you need to do it again? The Dana44 ought to live a long, healthy life with your 35" tires on it. (Out of curiosity, do you know what it was originally from?)

Tell us more about your driveline. Which engine, transmission and transfer case are you running?