new barrel for my first homebuild the other day

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
So for all the tweeners that think a homebuild in the firearm section is anything but a homebuilt firearm... Yeah I guess I can't say how dumb that is without getting banned so I'll try again. I was posting the first thread trying to see if there were any people that built their own guns. I suppose ARs count but anybody can twist a barrel on and buy a box of parts but still I guess it counts.

I'll start.
I just got a new barrel for my first ak74 build. I used the chrome lined barrel I first had on it for an ak74 pistol build.
She is built off a Bulgarian parts kit and has the following goodies.
-16" nitride barrel with factory length gas system
-Bulgy black furniture with a usmachinegun galil stock
-vortex strikefire
Hopefully I'll get to shoot it with the new barrel tomorrow. Should be fun and I'm sure I'll be impressed. My 9.75" ak74 pistol is solid performer at 100yrd(the most I've tried so far)

After I see everything function well I can do a little cleanup/finishing and then paint it up.

I also picked up some beautiful East German bakelites, a sanitized plum, a circle 21, and another circle 10 mag. Standard capacity of course.

NEXT!

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
This is one of those projects I've been interested in just wonder if I missed the boat and the opportunities have passed. Where did you get your part/kit from? Did you screw it together, weld it, rivet/etc?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'll admit I know nothing about guns, but your list of parts don't sound very homemade. To me a homemade gun would be like the composite gun made in the move: In the Line of Fire. That was pretty cool.

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
I'll admit I know nothing about guns, but your list of parts don't sound very homemade. To me a homemade gun would be like the composite gun made in the move: In the Line of Fire. That was pretty cool.
Homebuilt as much as a yugo ak47 that would be available stateside would be factory built.

slcpunk74

Original Saboteur
This is one of those projects I've been interested in just wonder if I missed the boat and the opportunities have passed. Where did you get your part/kit from? Did you screw it together, weld it, rivet/etc?

No no there are plenty of opportunities to build aks. I will say that the window is closing on the ak74 mostly because the commercial ammunition is not as easy to find as other calibers and the surplus ammo just got banned for import. The ak47 variant rifles from the com bloc countries can still be found in parts kit form and I would suspect to see them for years to come. I purchased my parts kit from either armsofamerica or rguns. I don't recall exactly where on that one. The receiver was taken from a flat blank I purchased from armsofamerica and I made a die set to press the shape. I have a dxf I made for the receiver so I can start from plate and burn it out but blanks are pretty reasonably priced so I have yet to do that. The barrel was from armsofamerica also. I made a few rivet tools and most the rivets were done with a set of bolt cutters I modified. I use screws to set the mag catch/trigger guard before riveting but otherwise it's all held by rivets.

Pretty fun to build if you have a little patience. It took a bit of time for me to firgure out how to make the tools and such. I am more than happy to help if you plan to build one. I'm no pro but I can say it would have been much easier if I had known somebody to walk me through a few steps.