New Buggy Build To Front Clip or Not to Front Clip

jdub

Scrambler
I was driving down the road and saw a 4 or 5 slotted grill on a postal jeep and said to my wife.... If I ever build a buggy it'll have that grill. It's narrow-perfect for the buggy look. A crawler without a front clip is like babies and no stink!

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I leaning toward either no grill or a grill with just a skin type hood. I know this thing will get rolled or flopped a lot so a hood will just get mangled. Fiberglass wouldn't hold up very well in this build I don't think;)

Be very careful about where you put tube, and you can keep your hood in good shape. I've rolled my buggy every way it can be rolled, and my hood is still in great shape.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Be very careful about where you put tube, and you can keep your hood in good shape. I've rolled my buggy every way it can be rolled, and my hood is still in great shape.

X2

Liberty grille looks pretty good narrowed also.

Dont worry kiel, you'll have plenty of time to decide:greg:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Front clip = personality. Some of the best-looking buggies I can think of are skinned out to be almost full-body looking. This one, for example:
65028940-M.jpg

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yep I started bending the ole tube today, didn't get real far, but it's been a while since I did it. I am planning to skin it, if I use the postal jeep grill I'm not sure the hood, would work, they are pretty short, we will see.

Crinco

Pull out some old Mags, search the Net, even look at the cars going down the road. You don't have to copy someone elses work, but it might give you some ideas about what you would like yours to look like.
I built a copy of someone elses work (bought a production chassis) because I didn't want to take the time to figure out what I wanted to do and I liked the looks of the Bruiser. Tubing out a buggy was more than I wanted to bite off. I am kinda lazy that way I guess.
My advice for the front end is make it big enough that you can fit in a good size radiator. Over-build what you can. Running hot all summer is no fun. (no I don't run hot :) )
CR

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Pull out some old Mags, search the Net, even look at the cars going down the road. You don't have to copy someone elses work, but it might give you some ideas about what you would like yours to look like.
I built a copy of someone elses work (bought a production chassis) because I didn't want to take the time to figure out what I wanted to do and I liked the looks of the Bruiser. Tubing out a buggy was more than I wanted to bite off. I am kinda lazy that way I guess.
My advice for the front end is make it big enough that you can fit in a good size radiator. Over-build what you can. Running hot all summer is no fun. (no I don't run hot :) )
CR

Or put the radiator in the back. Although it certainly is easier to fit it in the front.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I pretty much agree with everyone on doing a front clip....

If it where me and I had an ultra cool buggy (or was building one) like everyone else on RME i'd chop up a clip off a VW rabbit or a early Subaru wagon/brat or a Chevy Chevette or something like that.....Custom yes... Unique yes... really stupid idea?.....another yes :sick: