New carry pistol

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I finally replaced the Ruger P89DC that I sold to a board member a couple years back. I went with the Springfield Arms XD subcompact in .40. I'm really liking the size and feel of this one...

Attachments

• 2011-03-06_19-27-27_348.jpg
    2011-03-06_19-27-27_348.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 11

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Just don't drop it, with all that plastic it might fall apart. J/K. I have always liked the looks of those. How does it shoot? I also like the holsters they make for them.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'm curious how that shoots. I had a Para P10, couldn't hit anything past about 30' with it... grip came to the middle of my palm, which might have had something to do with it...

anyway, I love the XD series... :D

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I'll let you know how it shoots tomorrow, I didn't actually get a chance to shoot it yet. I picked it up in SLC, and then left for Arizona. I will go try it out after work. That's why I didn't get along with the Ruger, couldn't hit a damn thing with it. I have shot XDs before, just not a .40, and always liked them.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Cool... I had a P89 for a while too, couldn't group anything, turns out it's just a sh*tty gun, lots of slop in the slide. My current carry gun is good for nice tight groups out to unwise distances. :D

XD is on the short list for my next pistol.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I can group to hubcaps at 100yds, which I can't imagine being very wise in a defense scenario. I imagine you have a reasonable expectation of being able to run away or seek cover.... from a liability and target standpoint... Not an absolute of course, hence the smiley. ;)

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
couldn't hit anything past about 30' with it

Ummm, I can't shoot anything past 30' with my subcompact xd9 :eek: maybe it's a good thing I don't carry :rofl:

Course I'm better with it than any other handguns I've tried...

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I had the 40 sub-compact and it was a great gun. Always worked when you pulled the trigger and was actually very accurate for only having a 3" barrel.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Ummm, I can't shoot anything past 30' with my subcompact xd9 :eek: maybe it's a good thing I don't carry :rofl:

Course I'm better with it than any other handguns I've tried...

hahah you're fine. Statisically, most shootings are within 7yds, with most of THOSE within 10', according to the last FBI stats I checked out.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Just don't drop it, with all that plastic it might fall apart.

You may want to re-think that opinion.

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php
:)

SPhg_story11D_300.jpg

SPhg_story11C_300.jpg

I can't speak to the accuracy of the subcompact version, but I have a 9mm XDm, and it's awesomely accurate.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I can group to hubcaps at 100yds, which I can't imagine being very wise in a defense scenario. I imagine you have a reasonable expectation of being able to run away or seek cover.... from a liability and target standpoint... Not an absolute of course, hence the smiley. ;)

I was referring to which type of gun. But its good to know not to rob a bank with you around

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I was referring to which type of gun. But its good to know not to rob a bank with you around

oh. :eek: I obviously thought you meant the "unwise distance".. :-\ I carry a Sig Sauer P228. Bullet drop is like a million feet that far out but it shoots pretty straight. :D

It's probably more like 75yds now that I'm thinking about the range. It's been a while. I used to get out to the TEAD range every so often.... it's marked.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I was just joking until I read that and it said how he dropped it and broke some parts off, not affecting the operation of the gun however.

That's not exactly what he said...

"At roughly 7,000 rounds, I dropped the XD hard, onto cement, from a height of about 3 1/2 feet, right onto its cocking indicator. I then dropped it several more times, loaded, while standing behind cover in a completely safe environment. And I even threw it off the side of a mountain, sending it bouncing and hurtling down the steep slope about 100 feet.

At about 10,000 rounds, I noticed that the cocking indicator had broken off. While the breakage was disappointing, this piece (or lack thereof) in no way interferes with the functioning of the gun; its absence was hardly noticed."

I'd like to see any other gun put through the same regimen of tests and see how it holds up.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Not many have been put through that treatment-- interestingly, the guns the XD blends (Glock and Sig) have been put through that wringer and fared about as well. :D

For the price, Springfield is giving us a gift in the XD

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've been carrying the same gun (in 9mm) for almost a year now. I LOVE it. Check out Crossbreed holsters. Extremely comfortable for daily concealed carry.

2oO44.jpg

Kramnden

Very nice gun. I carry the 9mm equivalent daily and have found the gun to be extremely accurate (although I've never tried to shoot at 100yds with a subcompact). I shoot better with it than my full size XD or even my friends Glock 17. Great size for concealment and extremely reliable.

-Kramnden

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've been carrying an XD40SC for a year now. I love it. Shoots great; in roughly 2,000 rounds that I've put through it it's never had one jam or feeding issue.