NEW: Classifieds Rating System

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
As you now browse the classifieds here on RME, you may notice that a rating system has been implemented to give positive / negative user feedback. This is an attempt to help protect and reward those who use the classifieds here on RME.

Our classifieds are a very huge part of RME and we hope to improve upon that as we continue to grow as a community.

Right now the system is still in beta. Here is some current information and rules for how the system works.

Abuse of the rating system will result in a permanent ban.
(ie: false rating, friend/AE rating, rate padding, personal attacks in comments)
  • Everybody starts off with a good reputation of 10 points
  • For every 365 days past your initial registration date, you gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. Removed
  • For every 1000 number of posts, you gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. Removed
  • For every 10 points of reputation, you gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.
  • You must have at least 10 posts to leave a reputation rating.
  • You must have more than 1 reputation point to be able to leave a reputation rating.
If you don't like the current guidelines, give your input with a valid argument as to why it should be altered / removed / added.

Any other questions and/or comments, please post here.

We encourage you to give Positive ratings when transactions and handling's go well. We also encourage negative ratings for those transactions and handling's that go poorly. Think of it as an Ebay type system. Don't be shy to use it! Just don't abuse it.

:)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
nice

will my reputation points eventually show in my profile?

Good question. I basically hacked the stock vBulletin rating system to be used only with our classifieds. I will look into this, as I think it is an important thing to have. :)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you ever feel that your rating has been falsely rated down, please feel free to contact me, Greg, or any of the mods. We will be happy to mediate and solve problems.

The rating system will have its flaws but we will work hard to keep it running smoothly in order to provide confidence in your buying / selling experience here on RME.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
What does reputation altering power mean? Can I force my will on people. Plus its about time the post counts gave me back something.;)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
What does reputation altering power mean? Can I force my will on people. Plus its about time the post counts gave me back something.;)

It means you get 1 point of power for each criteria met. Meaning that your current Reputation Power is '4'.

So when you give somebody a reputation rating, it adds or subtracts 4 points from their rating, depending on which rating you give.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
[renandstimpyhorse] I don't like. No sir, I don't like it at all [renandstimpyhorse]

Current setup rewards long-time uberposters, but their length of membership or post count may have nothing to do with what kind of buyer/seller they are.

What about decent folks who don't post much?

The eBay style of feedback would seem to be more relevant for this board, as it's on a case-by-case basis, rather than depending on how much you hang out on a particular board. :)

Anyway, there's my $0.04. It's not going to kill me if you go this way either. :)

Viva RME!

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
[renandstimpyhorse] I don't like. No sir, I don't like it at all [renandstimpyhorse]

Current setup rewards long-time uberposters, but their length of membership or post count may have nothing to do with what kind of buyer/seller they are.

What about decent folks who don't post much?

The eBay style of feedback would seem to be more relevant for this board, as it's on a case-by-case basis, rather than depending on how much you hang out on a particular board. :)

Anyway, there's my $0.04. It's not going to kill me if you go this way either. :)

Viva RME!

It doesn't necessarily reward 'uberposters'. It only gives them more voting power. As with most thing, seniority and activeness (word?) usually has more of a say in situations.

The ratings are on a case-by-case basis. User ranking is determined by user input on each case.

I am tempted to remove the 1 voting power per 1000 posts though. Give me more reason. ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Heeeeeey now. Have some coffee!

meh... I dont' know, seems like this deal lets a lot fall through the cracks, if the point is to give some kind of guideline to buyers???

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Heeeeeey now. Have some coffee!

meh... I dont' know, seems like this deal lets a lot fall through the cracks, if the point is to give some kind of guideline to buyers???

I wasn't sure if you understood that the power points were different from the actual ratings.

I don't know a whole lot about rating systems like this (I don't use ebay), so any input is good input to me. :)

Where does this let "a lot fall through the cracks"? You think we should remove the seniority and activity power points and make it a flat scale? I would be ok with that if that's what seems fair.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yes, that's basically what I mean. A flat rating would just let people know that Seller X is good or bad, straight up.
That way seems more objective to me. *shrug* (we need a shrug icon)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yes, that's basically what I mean. A flat rating would just let people know that Seller X is good or bad, straight up.
That way seems more objective to me. *shrug* (we need a shrug icon)

You've convinced me. Rules edited.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Cool! I didn't even have to break out my SuperPeruasive Argumentative Skillz.

I'll save them for the BLM, as I make an impassioned stand for vehicular access. ;)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I agree. Ebay is flat out this is your score. The more you BUY/SELL the more your feedback rating goes up. It has nothing to do with when you started selling... I know you already changed it, but I htought I would chime in my opinion...

I also think to give everyone 10 off the top, gives a lot of confidence to them doing the right thing. I think it should be 0 and you have to earn your reputation. However, I also think it should be retroactive, meaning that if someone sold/bought something 6 months ago, they can go back and comment on that transaction. That should help get people's rating up.

And even though a person has 0 points (like in the beginning), they don't have a bad repuation, it's just no reputation at all. If it's negative, then it's a bad rep. because we don't noobs coming on here and seeing a 0 in front of someones name and thinking they screw people, even though it's because this new rating system and they just haven't had any feedback yet - good or bad.

If we click on the star or whatever, can we read the comments left that effect their rating? If no, can you fix it so we can :D