New Idea

P

pokeyYJ

As I look through the UROC thread I noticed that there are starting to be rigs that are WAY outa the average wheelers price range.

I also noticed that there is a Legends class where there are certain restraints to what mods can be done.

To take this idea a little further. What kind of interest would there be in a class that is truely a legends class. Like the little cars that race on the oval tracks.

Limit the competitors choice to a specific vehicle/frame. Basically make it so that everyone has the same style rig. I realize that this may seem a little hum-drum, but it would cap the prices of rigs and keep the competiton up.

This would put more emphasis on driver skill, rather than fabrication skill.

Just an idea, still rough around the edges, but what do you think?
Would there be any interest in this or am I just way to tired and dillusional.:confused:

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
I think it would steal the creativity that the sport thrives on...Just cause you have a bling rig doesn't necesarily mean you are gonna win comps, right?

P

pokeyYJ

That is true, and that is why I think that it would be more of an additional class rather than a replacement. That way you still get the creativity, but you also open the sport up to many more people.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by BBowski82
So your idea would kinda be like the NASCAR of rockcrawling?

I honestly think that would be killer. Have 'Classes' of rigs that have to be built to exact specifics. Engine, Weight, Wheel Base, Tires, Axles, etc.... Make them all the same specs and see who has the best Driver & Spotter skills.

My motive behind saying this is partly because a handful of Unlimited Rigs have dropped tire size or even 'cheated' their way into the Legends class and dominated it, where normally they would place mid-pack in Unlimited. :mad: I think that's LAME..... but, I can see how and why people do it.

Imagine 60 rigs.....

All have Tube Frames, EFI V8's, Autos, Atlas II's, Tera 60's, Coilovers, 40" Krawlers, same weight, etc, etc.......

They all run the same courses and shoot thru the same cones. Then, at the end of 2 days, see who really has the skills.

I know getting something like that to happen would be almost impossible, let alone the time to make it come together. But, that's where you would really see the skills be proven! There are way too many vairables in the current Comps.

P

pokeyYJ

Originally posted by Greg
I honestly think that would be killer. Have 'Classes' of rigs that have to be built to exact specifics. Engine, Weight, Wheel Base, Tires, Axles, etc.... Make them all the same specs and see who has the best Driver & Spotter skills.

My motive behind saying this is partly because a handful of Unlimited Rigs have dropped tire size or even 'cheated' their way into the Legends class and dominated it, where normally they would place mid-pack in Unlimited. :mad: I think that's LAME..... but, I can see how and why people do it.

That is what I was thinking, same everything, this way the driver was the one winning the comp, not the rig.

Yeah the Nascar of rockcrawling, I don't think that would be bad, I mean look at how many fans there are for Nascar. The cheer for the driver more than the vehicle.

Caleb

Originally posted by pokeyYJ

That is what I was thinking, same everything, this way the driver was the one winning the comp, not the rig.

I think you need to get out to one of these events if you think its the rig that wins these comps...some of the badest most inovative most expensive rigs didn't do so well...and its like that at every comp...then look at Shafer and Clifford...first comp on the new rig, and the rig is nothing too fancy besides the sweet motor and they still ended up in 5th after the first day of do WAY ****ty...they are a great team and work well...

I think something like this would be fun but I will garauntee that UROC wont be doing it simply because of the number of competitors you would get if you had a low end class like you want to see...we already average about 85 vehicles per comp and to add another class that any joe schmoe could enter would prolly double that...:eek:

Now like Greg was saying...full tube, coilovers, same V8 motors same tires, basically the same Expensive vehicle(like NASCAR) would be awesome...but like BBowski82 said, its taking away from the whole idea of the comps...who was the newest and greatest idea and what really works...I think our sport is still in its early days and eventually (like NASCAR) you will see everybodys rigs stating to look more and more a like (to an extent)...just give it time...

I think it's a good idea but I wouldn't enter myself. I just don't like the idea of the limitations. Especially if I run the vehicle in my leisure time I wouldn't want to be restricted on what I do to it.

grinch

inner city redneck
I like the idea of being able to build your rig how you want to. I agree with UROC on how it runs the legend and unlimited class. Ya some people CHEAT and figure out ways to get thier unlimited vehicles in the legend calss. It sucks but oh well some people just have to win at no matter the cost. these are the same people who will find loophols no matter what the rules are.
Me and steve run the unlimited class with the narrowd k5 and it is an extremely underbuilt poormans rig compard to most of them out there. Ya we always place poorly but were not out there to win. We do it for fun. This sport is just way to new to start putting to many restrictions on it. Right now I belive it would only hinder what we do. It is possible to build a unlimited righ for under 13,000 and compete. You may not win but if you have fun who cares!
Just my 2 cents on the matter. But opinions are like tiolet paper.........

troutbum

cubi-kill
They do it in in a ton of motor sports, cart racing has a rotax class, nascar etc...as long as it is seperate class I think it is a good idea.

BTW did anyone watch this weeks nascar race?? Drivers sure bitch about the restrictor plate races, but in the last 15 laps there were maybe 4-5 cars in the lead, Dale Jr. went from 1st to 5th or 6th and back to 1st to win the race. Three wide for most of the race...was exciting to watch. Because all of the cars were pretty evenly matched, came down to driver/drafting skills and team work.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I don't think any of the current teams want to be told what to build and how to build it. Some of the challenge is in building the vehicle right. Also, if you don't think the driver and spotter have anything to do with who wins, you need to come out to a competition and watch. We walked through more than one spot where we watched a far superior vehicle fail. This is due to teamwork, communication, and planning. It's not all in the vehicle.