New in Town, New to Forum

aRR

Hey everybody,

A friend recommended I check in here for some local off-road/ expedition info. I just moved to SLC from PHX with my wife and I'm looking to start some fires, drink some beers and break some things on my truck- not in that order.
Fairly recently bought an 09 Frontier Crew Cab 4x4, looking to stretch it's legs and ruin the resale value- I'm keeping this thing forever. Already rhino-lined the bumpers/ fenders/ rockers, customized the front grill, re-purposed an Xterra roof rack, added Titan Utili-Track extras, blacked out the wheels, re-did the audio, added a cb and weathertechs. Stepping it up a bit and waiting for a water jet company to finish cutting some steel for a custom-designed front plate bumper. If that goes well, the rear bumper, sliders and skids are in the works and waiting to be formatted properly. I also just finished upgrading the lights and adding turn signals behind the glass in some FJ Cruiser mirrors that I'm going to graft in so I can have some built in spot lights.
Gotta get this pup a little better clearance soon so I'm sourcing parts to make my own leaf packs out of Xterra suspension, researching spare tire swing outs from Pathfinders and general other nonsensical business.

So I'd like to find some info on where to beat this thing up and test my engineering skills. Haven't seen a whole lot of Frontiers on here- but I'm not a make-racist, so hopefully I can find some fun.
I'll be lurking around and seeing what info I can find.

Lots of requests for pix, so I'll throw some in. No action shots yet, but some of the starter projects:
IMG-20130817-00223_resized_zps5baf764c.jpg0ee548ff-d0d8-413f-83d1-3a9bfdccb5f3_zpsb66b1a70.jpg 20131207_161742_zps048536fb.jpg20131207_161711_zps301d8cd7.jpg20131207_161806_zpsdfabcb93.jpg20140201_132047_zpsjxv7js9k.jpg
Thanks!

Rob

Attachments

• IMG-20130822-00242.jpg
    IMG-20130822-00242.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

jentzschman

Welcome Rob!

A good "into" to the area is a place called Snakes out by 5 Mile Pass recreation area.

Also, American Fork Canyon is a great place to go.

There are ALWAYS plenty of people looking to go up AF canyon once it is fully open. It is also a great OHV area.

Last edited:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Welcome on behalf of RME and the U4WDA.
Be sure to read all the instructions in "Introductions & using the Forum".

U4WDA believes the four wheeling community is best served by:
1. Education thru the use of classes, pamphlets, and films to teach responsible conservation.
2. Use Auto Dealerships and suppliers for the distribution of information.
3. Support Utah Counties in obtaining Quiet Claims to roads within their jurisdiction.
4. Stays informed and work closely with all Government Agencies and local law enforcement.
5. Where practical uses peer pressure to keep OHV use within the law.
6. Inform local agencies and law enforcement of illegal OHV use.

We promote the following: BRC/UFWDA: National legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
USA-All:- Local legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
U4WDA: On the ground actions. Service projects, education, club training, broadcasting the needs of Usa-All, UFWDA & BRC to its member clubs. Require clubs to be members of Usa-All, UFWDA & BRC, tie it into dues.
Member Clubs: Rides, education, hats, jackets, newsletters, raffles, etc. Require membership in U4WDA
Individuals: Join a club and promote responsible use amongst fellow travelers.
BRC:- National legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
Usa-All:- Local legislation, action alerts, lobbying, etc
U4WDA: On the ground actions. Service projects, education, club training, broadcasting the needs of Usa-All & BRC to its member clubs. Require clubs to be members of Usa-All & BRC, tie it into dues.
Member Clubs: Rides, education, hats, jackets, newsletters, raffles, etc. Require membership in U4WDA
Individuals: Join a club and promote responsible use amongst fellow travelers.
www.BlueRibbonCoalition.Org
http://www.sharetrails.org/make-a-difference-now
http://nohvcc.org
http://www.u4wda.org
http://www.usaall.org

Last edited:

Troop92

Welcome welcome. An easy run above Bountiful (just north of SLC) is Old Ward Canyon. Check out the trip reports, there have been a few group rides up there in the past few months.

STAG

On my grind
Post pics of your truck, sounds nice. Btw there's a guy here on the forum named Carl (screen name I Lean) who does everybody's CNC plasma cutting. If you're open to that instead of water jetting, he's your guy.

blznnp

welcome, like stated, AF canyon and 5 mile are easy to get to, not far away (since your location says salt lake) and can give you some challenges. I haven't been to Old Ward Canyon but I believe Brian (TJDukit) took his JK up there to flex it out after some new front suspension parts, good place to go and test some things out. Haven't seen to many frontiers done up, or anything done to them for that matter. post up some pics.

aRR

Thanks Chocflip! I'll have to reach out to Carl when I get the other projects going. Much prefer giving business to forum members.
OP edited to include a couple non-action shots.

Welcome welcome. An easy run above Bountiful (just north of SLC) is Old Ward Canyon. Check out the trip reports, there have been a few group rides up there in the past few months.

Thank you, and sounds good! I lived here when I was younger, but didn't adventure much. I'll have to check into that, thanks!

Welcome, it's good to see a frontier been interested in what they can do...

Yeah, haven't seen much around here or AZ (or any) unfortunately. Makes it fun to get noticed, but so much harder to source aftermarket. I just end up making my own stuff.

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
Nice truck. I built a set of sliders for a '10 PRO4X Frontier. It was somebody here on the forum but I don't think they get on anymore cuz I can't remember who it was.

aRR

Nice truck. I built a set of sliders for a '10 PRO4X Frontier. It was somebody here on the forum but I don't think they get on anymore cuz I can't remember who it was.

Thank you! And nice! I'll be in the market for those in the upcoming months- any pix?

Tonkaman

Hey Rob! Glad to see you found us here. I'm excited to hit some trails with you since your rig will be so similar to mine. Let the Nissan vs Toyota battle begin!

Derek

aRR

Hey Rob! Glad to see you found us here. I'm excited to hit some trails with you since your rig will be so similar to mine. Let the Nissan vs Toyota battle begin!

Derek

Haha wuddup son! I wondered if you'd find me. Meant to get your contact info the other night- thanks for coming downtown and hangin out for the birthday! Thank your gf as well for taking the baby reins so you could come play. I'm going to need to beef up on some protection before we go too nuts. You're not a welder by chance, are ya?

Tonkaman

I had a blast! Unfortunately I'm not a welder but there are a few fellas on here that I would definitely recommend. I'll PM you my contact info